The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Got Our Feet Wet Today--Thanks Wateryglen!!!

Literally! Had the BEST trail ride today with the superb rider Wateryglen!!! She very patiently and graciously took me and Dior up hill and down dale, through mud and into a stream! Yay! Dior has been reluctant to get into mud, but today she followed Watery and Perry and after one abortive attempt at a muddy entrance, we ended up playing and drinking in a little river. The vistas of the Blue Ridge were amazing, had some nice trotting and cantering in gorgeous fields, and Dior took it all in stride. Opened and closed gates, which actually she has been doing for years. We were out about three hours,, in a dry run for our first hunt. I think we are ready for Saturday!!!

Oh and I almost forgot. There was some poking with a stick involved...
    Last edited by rebecca yount; Dec. 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

7 members found this post helpful.

Smile That was fun!!

She's a beeeuuuteeful & wonderful horse and will be a good fieldhunter once you get this "water" thing worked out and even not. She has all the tools and temperment. I'd be really excited if I was you! Lookout! She's gonna be awesome. And I still gotta think she won't be problematic out hunting when the opportunities to cross water come up fast & furious and crowded. She won't have time to even THINK about hesitating I bet. The power of "the herd" is very strong out hunting. I know this cuz it's made ME do things I didn't wanna do if I'd thought about it. EX: Some of us will jump things out hunting that we'd NEVER jump in real life....well....speaking for myself!!

And it was cold but my feet were fine! I have lotsa socks ya know!!
    Have a ball with your first hunt this sat. Report back please! Details!
    And keep smiling! Never let'em see you sweat!! yeeeeehawwwww!!

Heh, heh, heh...ok coth team....we got another one sippin' the koolaid!! SCORE!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post
    Literally! Had the BEST trail ride today ...
    Really? No caterwauling, shrieking, or bitching like the 3 times I took you out on trails? There might actually be hope ...

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, bless your heart!

Yeah, I always tell everyone about riding over Round Top. I truly felt that part was dangerous because of the huge boulders with cracks and mud in between. My concern was for my horse's welfare. There were lots of rocks to ride over yesterday but nothing like that. Since I don't have one horse for trail riding and another one for other things, I have to keep her safe as best I can.

I guess everyone around here will make their own judgment when they see us in person. So far everyone has been very welcoming, supportive, helpful, and complimentary about Dior.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hundreds of people ride the Gettysburg Battlefield trails every year, most of them mounted on the only horse they own. They all survive just fine.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

1 members found this post helpful.

8)
    So this is one step closer to coming on 12/29!
    And/or coming SATURDAY when Old Dominion Hounds meets not at my Hunter's Rest but in the field directly adjacent.
    With breakfast to follow!
    Weather's supposed to be great!
    Anyone (Rebecca, anyone else) email me and let me know if you'd like to cap with us and I'll call the masters to arrange!!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Hey, thanks, HR!! I am going with Casanova this Saturday, but I am trying to get out as much as possible while the weather is still good. Let me see how Saturday goes and then we can talk. From your photo today, looks great!!

Thumbs up Star?!!!

Hey ShotenStar!! I like your name!! You must be beautiful, thin, sexy and the BEST rider I'm guessing!!
    Carry on!

ShotenStar is also brilliant and, I think, part of the NerdHerd. I really appreciated her posts on the dressage forum when I was spending a lot of time there learning to work with greenies. So, Star, you are right- Awesome name!
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Hope the tiaras stayed dry and not muddy...

Tiaras??? I don't get it. A tiara does not fit over my helmet. I thought we only put the tiaras on at the hunt breakfast, over our pin-curled helmet hair.

We did water again today, though...