The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can You Answer This Question?..Safe. Thread!!

Whats w/ the Green and Red Thumbs?I know they are if you like or dislike a Thread ,Topic or response...But in the long run what do they actually get you?

Is there a central Score keeper who tallies your votes and after so many Greens you get a My Little Pony and after so many Red Thumbs downs you get Banned?

Can you tell who gave you the score? Do they accumulate indefinately and are they worth any type of redemption points?

I just delete mine and pay no never mind but unlike PM's the notification is always popping up.

Just curious after current events an wondered the value.....I tend to give greens and few if any reds on a rare occassion...and mostly none at all
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Dec. 13, 2012 at 09:28 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.

Actually, those are very good questions. Another creative way to build or crush egos, I suppose. What else?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

4 members found this post helpful.

There was a really long thread on them in "help"
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...own-quot-thing

They are anonymous, like a Facebook "like" plus a "dislike." I wish there were a My Little Pony involved somehow though.

Only one? You need to apply yourself.

16 members found this post helpful.

I teach English in the inner city, and I have corrected some really whacked out papers recently, but I don't even know where to begin to correct your thread title.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post

They are anonymous, like a Facebook "like" plus a "dislike." I wish there were a My Little Pony involved somehow though.
    Ha ha totally agree on the My Little Pony...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

2 members found this post helpful.

And isn't it nice that even after a thread is closed you can still go on it and give the ol' finger I got several greenies until the most recent thread was closed, and now that I'm not able to defend myself it get a bunch of red ones.

Oh well this will be closed shortly. I'm sure the my little pony reference isn't sufficient to keep this horse related.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

4 members found this post helpful.

^Same--I got like 5 negs (and counting!) on a single post on a closed thread. Perhaps if it were still open there would have been some more useful "here is why I disagree with you" type posts but instead I am still racking up the negs.

2 members found this post helpful.

See and I thought it was ..Safe...to ask a plain old question since I am not Thumb Savey.........

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    And isn't it nice that even after a thread is closed you can still go on it and give the ol' finger I got several greenies until the most recent thread was closed, and now that I'm not able to defend myself it get a bunch of red ones.

Oh well this will be closed shortly. I'm sure the my little pony reference isn't sufficient to keep this horse related.
    They definitely should have just made the red thumb a big fat middle finger... it would have been far more amusing.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

12 members found this post helpful.

What if we got a gift certificate for most thumbs up? or down?

or you can add it to your signature: 688 thumbs up since 2012

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    See and I thought it was ..Safe...to ask a plain old question since I am not Thumb Savey.........
    This: Can You Answered THis Question?..Safe. Thread!!

Does not communicate that.

Try: Can you answer this question? (Safe thread)

Is that what you meant?
    A helmet saved my life.

Well, if they added a "one finger salute" to the two thumb options, I might just approve. I wish I knew how to delete them or at least change settings to not have them pop up as notifications. You can't even tell what post or thread they applly to!

Anyway, they seem not to have passed the sniff test and according to the thread in the HELP section they are probably not permanent.
    Click here before you buy.

Well, I don't know what Facebook you use, but on mine, I can see who liked my status updates. Sure would be nice to see who stalks us sometimes and gives the red thumb on EVERYTHING you've posted in the last week or four just because they didn't like something you posted on ONE thread.

I posted that the thumbs weren't tracked like eBay for "ratings," and got a red thumb for saying that. Sheesh.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Sorry--poor sentence construction there. You are correct--they are an anonymous version of a FB like (plus now a dislike).

I don't doubt that there are people on here stalking/negging. I don't like the feature at all.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Well, if they added a "one finger salute" to the two thumb options, I might just approve. I wish I knew how to delete them or at least change settings to not have them pop up as notifications. You can't even tell what post or thread they apply to!
    My comments on this thread have generated around 20 ratings of good or bad (did Frankenstein design the rating system?) and I can tell exactly which post got the rating. The notification gives a post number, which is a link to the post. Have you tried that?

I'd like to quote The Frankenstein monster again to express my feelings about the thumbs:

"We belong dead."
    A helmet saved my life.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't doubt that there are people on here stalking/negging. I don't like the feature at all.
    I have to agree with this. Someone (and their alters) enjoys just thumbs downing every post by certain people.

If the thumbs are going to stay I think they should not be anonymous.

I feel dirty, out of 42 notifications, I have one red thumb. I re-read the post, could be easy to see who did not like my thoughts, but I feel that recording the member id would either lessen the "thumbing" or turn it into an all out war.

Overall it does seem to be a fluff item that serves no value to the conversation. Getting Red thumbed is like having someone stick their tongue out and go "Na Na pooping pants" to someone's post. Real intelligent discourse there In my case I would have like to understand the reason someone disliked my thoughts. In debate we can learn so much if open to listening, in sticking fingers in one's ears and sayin' "Yo Mamma" ... not so much.

From a COTH standpoint this stuff is gold. They track every like, every dislike of individual members and can begin to build a profile out of the comments. Hello advertisers, would you be interested in some data? I'm old fashioned (funny thing for being a programmer), but I prefer to express my self through commentary or silence and refrain from quick ego strokes that say little.

I just look at the thumbs up or down as a shortcut for responding to a post. As in I don't agree with "your" opinion, but a detailed response isn't required. That is also how I have viewed thumb down reviews I have received.
    Same sort of thought process for thumbs up reviews.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Whats w/ the Green and Red Thumbs?I know they are if you like or dislike a Thread ,Topic or response...But in the long run what do they actually get you?

I think when you get 100 red thumbs the COTH mods send you cookies. Not sure though.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.