The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Insurance- help?

I currently have EMO mortality and major medical and have had my horse under their policy for the past two years. However, I am absolutely not happy with their customer service and would like to dip my toes in the water and look into some other companies. Suggestions?

I have two horses with HIS (http://www.horse-insurance.com/) and one with Kaplow (http://www.kaplowinsurance.com/index_pp.html).

HIS has always been wonderful to me; I just purchased insurance through Kaplow this month so I can't comment on anything aside from the better rate I got.

Insurance rates all just changed for the upcoming year - last quote I got was 3.25% with HIS and 3.2% with Kaplow. MM was the deciding factor for me and the ability to cover some things that popped up in my PPE without a bunch of red tape.

After a serious loss this past year, I will NEVER let my policies lapse again.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

I've had Markel (http://www.horseinsurance.com) for the past few years and just received the check for the first claim I've ever had to submit (EPM diagnosis/treatment). Customer service was great and process was very easy.

Are you unhappy with the insurance carrier or the insurance agency?

EMO is an insurance agency. They place business with a variety of different insurance companies.

So if you like your carrier, then switch to another agent that writes for that carrier. You don't need to get a new policy, just a new agent of record. Or if you don't like the carrier, see if your existing agent can find you coverage with another insurance carrier.

Horse insurance coverages are a small, specialty market. There are only a handful of carriers and most agents will write business with a number of them. This is not something that is hard to shop. I recommend searching old threads on mortality insurance as multiple agencies are mentioned.

I'll also add that while I do not have any coverages with EMO, I have always heard very positive things about this agency from a variety of people. Certainly EMO is a strong supporter of horse sports in Virginia.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Regardless of who you go with, make sure you know your policy inside and out! Is your horse insured for "agreed value" or "actual cash value" (fair market value)? With agreed value, if your horse is insured for $10,000 and the horse dies, the insurance will pay out $10,000 as long as there is proof of value. With actual cash value, you may be paying premiums on $10,000 for 5 years, but if your horse dies, the insurance company will only pay out what your horse is worth at the time of death (fair market value). If the economy tanks, etc., and the fair market value is only $4,000, that is unfortunately all you will get.

Most horse owners are under the impression that if they insured their horse for $20,000 and they've paid their premiums every year that they will get $20,000 if they die. Unfortunately, no always true!

Regardless of the insurance company you choose, please, please, please make sure to keep good records on your insured horses - including pictures, video and show records....and remember to continue to update them! I've done several very tough equine appraisal cases in which the owner didn't have a single photo or video of their insured horses that passed away, no show record, nothing....which makes it extremely tough to prove their value! And, if you feel like the insurance company is giving you the run around, and you truly believe your horse is worth more, get your own independent equine appraisal done and present it to the insurance company. I do a lot of these...and it does work!

I've got a few insurance tips and tricks on my website and on our Facebook page to help horse owners...so my job isn't so hard if someone needs to make a claim at some point!
    Daventry Equine Appraisal Services
    www.equineappraisers.com
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com