The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

"Hello GW here. I can't believe so many people have responded to this thread. Maybe this all happened to make people more aware of the things going on out there. I'm very happy up here. My owner bought me a new halter and a new blanket. Yesterday I met up with her other two horses and now I have two new friends who are very nice to me. My stocking is hanging on my stall and I have a cute little mare just across the aisle. I'm getting a ton of treats for doing absoloutly nothing. I LOVE it. I hear I'm getting shoes soon. Life it good. I'm one of the lucky ones. Merry Christmas everyone" (my new owner helped me type this :-) )

40 members found this post helpful.

Very glad this lucky boy's story has a happy ending. :-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Default One Grey Pony

Finally had time to read this through.

It is my thought that "Deb" knew exactly who and what "Margo" was. The horse world is entirely too small, for the slimy to go unnoticed, by anyone who has been a knowledgeable trainer for any length of time. Or not to recognize a "deal" that isn't a deal.

The only sad thing about this thread is that no one has outted Margo.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think the reason Margot couldn't sell him openly is that she nay have too many mutual friends with Deb and OGP's trainer. That and he does have markings (not like a plain bay with no white) that are unique enough that someone who showed or fox hunted with OGP or the trainers would certainly recognize him. Plus she knows Lisa, whom she lied to about her plans for him as well. Only way to get rid of the horse us a far away area or skeezy auction without anyone knowing. But who thinks to do that? Someone with a lot of practice. Wouldn't be surprised if Margo is a professional scum bag.

OGP... you are too kind. Doubt I could be civil since Lisa lied to you AND broke contract. Losing a horse tragically isn't an excuse to lie and not give you first option. She had not even had him long so I doubt that part of the agreement "slipped her mind."

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by celid View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone" (my new owner helped me type this :-) )
    And a Merry Christmas to you GW! You are one heck of a lucky horse. Moreso than you will ever know.
    Last edited by SmartAlex; Dec. 15, 2012 at 08:32 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

GW is a lovely horse! I *think* I know who he is IRL, and he reminds me a lot of my own boy. I run the ragged edge of dog and horse rescue, and horses/dogs like him are the only reason I keep at this stuff. I like to believe there are enough filters to keep the good ones out of the slaughter/euth pipeline, but situations like these prove to (sadly) be a reality check for me. We certainly can't save them all, but I hate to see the "good ones" go to waste...

1 members found this post helpful.

The bright part of this story is that GW now has just about the best owner anyone could ask for! Sounds like he deserves it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by celid View Post
    "Hello GW here. I can't believe so many people have responded to this thread. Maybe this all happened to make people more aware of the things going on out there. I'm very happy up here. My owner bought me a new halter and a new blanket. Yesterday I met up with her other two horses and now I have two new friends who are very nice to me. My stocking is hanging on my stall and I have a cute little mare just across the aisle. I'm getting a ton of treats for doing absoloutly nothing. I LOVE it. I hear I'm getting shoes soon. Life it good. I'm one of the lucky ones. Merry Christmas everyone" (my new owner helped me type this :-) )
    you should ask her for a tablet for Christmas, and your own COTH account!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Happy Holidays, GW. You are a beautiful boy. Be good for your new mommy, ok?

OGP, so glad this story didn't end in a nightmare for you. Headache? Yes. Close call? Absolutely. But what a great outcome.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

What I don't get is .... why does Margo need to hide the sale of GW? She received ownership of the horse via trade fair and square. She had no responsibility to the previous owner and should have been able to market GW as she saw fit. Lisa is the only one at fault for not notifying the previous owner (and flat out lying when the horse was no longer in her possession). Unless Lisa and Margo were in cahoots to hide the horse together .... I don't know, there's still something fishy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow36 View Post
    What I don't get is .... why does Margo need to hide the sale of GW? She received ownership of the horse via trade fair and square. She had no responsibility to the previous owner and should have been able to market GW as she saw fit. Lisa is the only one at fault for not notifying the previous owner (and flat out lying when the horse was no longer in her possession). Unless Lisa and Margo were in cahoots to hide the horse together .... I don't know, there's still something fishy here.
    well, 'Lisa' was apparently assured the horse would be/go to a great home. While Margo...well, dunno...she trades a horse for 3k and another horse...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

But why would Margo need to hide the re-sale of the horse (GW)? She has no contract or obligation to the previous owner. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd love to hear any theories, because there are a few things that are still bothering me too. The first is - why that final trip and quick dump? The second is that no one but me contacted Lisa. Not Margo, after I had spoken to her. Not Deb, who my trainer talked to. Also, GW was marked as a possible cribber, which he did *not* do when he left me. Another small behavior that he has developed makes me wonder if he had an injury somehow, or was involved in the incident that killed Lisa's other horse.

I'm still waiting for some phone calls and trying to get to the bottom of things.

Since you keeping talking & talking about it, why not just tell us how the other horse was killed?

Oh, & you said you were wanting Margo outed here, so why don't you just out her yourself?

I am still thrilled GW ended up safe. His Guardian Angel was working overtime!
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

OGP, I wish I could offer a theory; only to say, I don't feel Lisa is all that innocent, despite what she's told you. It just doesn't add up.

Margo shouldn't have had any qualms marketing that horse on her FB page or however she normally does it (unless he was dead lame? Or unrideable for some reason?) She stood to make a lot more money on him through a private sale then the auction. How was Margo to know that Lisa had a right of first refusal contract with you (unless Lisa told her). As far as Margo was concerned, she traded for the horse, owned him outright, and should've been able to sell him accordingly (if he was marketable).

Plus, as you said, Lisa did very well showing the horse; so why would she immediately need a new one? For that reason I feel like Lisa is the one that wanted him to disappear, with Margo's (and Deb's?) help maybe?

Maybe Lisa took a bad fall off of GW, got scared and wanted to unload him?

Do you know how the other horse was killed?

2 members found this post helpful.

I am not going to out Margo until I know for sure what happened. That would be

Lisa's horse was hit by a car, while at pasture. That's why I keep bringing it up. It seems like a significant detail since the horses were pasture mates.

You mean, in the pasture? Or he jumped out and got into the road?

As far as I know, he went through the fence for some reason and ended up in the road.

Oh, so you're thinking that maybe GW chased him around or something, getting him in a tizzy and causing him to bust through the fence? I guess that's one theory of why Lisa would unload him. She still should have just called you though. Did she ever explain why she ignored the right of first refusal?

That was my original original theory. That somehow he was blamed or to blame for the other horse's demise.

Lisa admitted that it was her desire to have a new horse + her thinking that he would prefer to do something other than what she wanted to use him for. She also admitted that she was wrong to do that.