The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Does she board at home or at a public barn ?

The beyatch in me says to make the appt to see the horse, esp if it's a public barn, listen to her lying song & dance, then tell her you KNOW where the horse is and you KNOW what she did to him.

I would also bring a copy of your contract and let the BO know that this is what she signed and this is what she broke.

Just sayin' ... but then again I'm like that when someone flat out lies to me about an animal like that ...

18 members found this post helpful.

Did OGP give this horse away or was it off on lease or what? I am confused about that point.

Wow... the power of COTH.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Did OGP give this horse away or was it off on lease or what? I am confused about that point.
    the original poster acquired the horse off Camelot.
    The original owner had previously given the horse (with or without pay, who cares) to somebody else who in turn supposedly traded the horse. Seems like this person ultimately let the horse go through Camelot.
    If that person exists...
    Since the middleperson assured the OO that the horse was doing just fine when in fact was no longer in her possession.
    The should make for an interesting meet and greet on the 21st....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    the original poster acquired the horse off Camelot.
    The original owner had previously given the horse (with or without pay, who cares) to somebody else who in turn supposedly traded the horse. Seems like this person ultimately let the horse go through Camelot.
    If that person exists...
    Since the middleperson assured the OO that the horse was doing just fine when in fact was no longer in her possession.
    The should make for an interesting meet and greet on the 21st....
    Um, you did not answer my question in this long paragraph and pay has nothing to do with it.

Was the horse given away (sold, or whatever) by OGP or was the horse off on free lease?

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Um, you did not answer my question in this long paragraph and pay has nothing to do with it.

Was the horse given away (sold, or whatever) by OGP or was the horse off on free lease?
    It seems to me the original owner gave the middle person ownership of the horse. But she did not say anything about the nature of the transaction.

(BTW, get some more coffee, you don't make much sense, the paragraph was really not that long)

anyhow, it seems the most upsetting thing to the original owner is that she had been lied to: the recipient assured her the horse was doing fine when indeed he was at Camelot. Not the thing you do to 'friends' even if it's just of FB nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

3 members found this post helpful.

The other side of that coin is all those threads where we (general COTH) tell people that once they sell or give away their horse they have no say in what happens to it. People also suggest the 'he is fine thanks' approach to appeasing those pesky previous owners who seem to forget it is not their horse anymore.

OGP talks about being furious and contracts. That is why I asked the question.

And maybe the people OGP gave/sold/leased the horse to are not lying. Maybe they are just repeating what they are being told by the people they sold/gave/leased the horse to.

No need for a witch hunt with out more facts.

I do think it is great that this boy landed well and seems to have worked his charm on his new owner.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    He was standing on Camelot's lot when I was told that he was doing great. Same day. That's not even remotely a gray area...
    I agree - that was a flat-out lie, and it doesn't fly w/me either.

Furthermore, Camelot gets a lot (most?) of their horses from the New Holland (PA) weekly Monday auctions, and those who have been to NH know what a cesspool of an environment it is. This horse got VERY lucky, and so did his current owner, and she got a huge bargain, as well.

I, too, would be very interested in what you find out when you go to "visit" him later on this month - assuming that person doesn't come up with some lame excuse before the 21st.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Tru, it was couched as a giveaway with right of first refusal, in writing and in verbal agreement. I did not do it as a free lease because i did want the person to be able to sell him, but not without letting me know. my rationale (good bad or indifferent at this point) is that if she had put money into the horse and felt that she Could recoup some expenses by actually selling him, that I would pay fair market price for him or help her get him sold. I'm not an unreasonable person and I was hoping that that would keep this type of situation from happening, because it would be very easy to say "I want x amount for him" and if I couldn't/wouldn't pay it then that would be that, rather than hiding a trade or sale to a sale barn.

You're right, I was pissed, mostly because of shock, but also because it would have taken two seconds to message me on Facebook and say "hey he's not working out" or even "hey, this lady says she will trade me a show horse for him" and I could have reacted accordingly. This horse has many many connections all of whom love him dearly, and like I said, I would have paid to take him back.

Incidentally, I now have the name and number of the lady he was traded to, I've seen pictures of the horse he was traded for, and this lady runs a very nice hunter barn with horses listed at over 30k on her site.

Ultimately, I'm not going to sue or try to recover him. It is not the OP's fault that he ended up in this situation and she bought him from Camelot fair and square. We have been sharing pictures, I've shared all of his health info and I do consider him her horse. He has now what I wanted for him initially, someone to love him and give him lots of peppermints, which he adores.

27 members found this post helpful.

Oh, and regarding my "peskiness" - she posted on my trainer's wall that he had settled in nicely, which I added a comment to of "great, that's so good to hear" at which point she posted a picture to my wall from a show with blue ribbons in her hand and dangling from his bridle. One month later she posted that her other horse had died in a tragic accident to which I posted a condolences note and she replied that he had been my former horse's pasture mate and that he was also grieving. (This was November 2) On November 28th, I realized I hadn't seen anything for awhile, and messaged her with a "hey, how's he doing, I miss him so much" as I had come across some videos and was feeling rather wistful. She replied, he's getting fit to do a little hunting and doing great!

Meanwhile, he was listed on Camelot's page.

So no, I'm fairly sure I gave her the space, while trying to tactfully keep in touch.

Did she know that he was at New Holland? I don't know.

Incidentally, because I'm a grown up I messaged her asking her what happened, given what I know now. I have not yet heard back. She hadn't defriended me, and it is possible that she "just wasn't thinking" but I'll wait to judge that until after I've heard something. Or not heard something, as the case may be.

My primary reason for trying to figure this out is to find out whether there is something that his new person should know, and also to figure out who not to deal with - both of these people were "respectable".

18 members found this post helpful.

Haha pervious.

7 members found this post helpful.

We all know what happens to so many horses who go this route...this particular situation drives home that none of our horses are safe from this end once they leave our care. Unfortunately, selling horses is the price we pay to continue to have horses. They aren't like storing tiny collectibles in a cabinet.

There's lots of shadiness in the horse world (good Lord, remember all that mess with Helen Brach, etc...do I dare mention it?) but it's stories such as this one that remind us that (hopefully) the Good Guys win more often than lose.

celid - props to you! Personally, I'm glad this situation came to light for OGP - imagine the peace of mind OGP would have had having shown up on the 21st and no horse but a song & dance, instead. Knowing that the horse is okay now, that's got to feel great. And what an AWESOME Christmas present for the horse!! Call me sappy & sentimental but I think more than one of us would rejoice to find out some of our old horses we had to part with met such a great end as this.

15 members found this post helpful.

This whole thing is so horrible, yet what a great ending!

Quote Originally Posted by psb View Post
    This whole thing is so horrible, yet what a great ending!
    Yeah, whew, that was close. I remember seeing him on Camelot. I'm glad he got a good home and OGP was able to tell them about him. Nice horse. And another example of how nice horses fall through cracks and wind up on a truck.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

I think the person who was contractually obligated to offer a right of first refusal has some 'splaining to do to the OP... but thank god this didn't end badly.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by YEG View Post
    Haha pervious.
    Pervy former owners are the worst.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

5 members found this post helpful.

OGP - please out the liar. I had the same thing happen to me with a mare, but wasn't as lucky as you and never found her. Same situation - sold with right of first refusal. Mare taken to auction just a week after I'm told 'she's doing great, we love her. She just at the 'upper barn to make room for the horses in training'.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Trevelyan, I'm so sorry to hear about your mare. I'll send you a pm of what I suspect is going on. There are some other things not quite adding up right now and I'm hesitant to say anything publicly yet, but I would be curious to know since you're close enough in area to me if there are any similarities.

unless the person you gave him too filed a police report saying he was stolen, she is covering up the truth, and probably not the first time...

1 members found this post helpful.

Good Lord I hope this situation isn't widespread in y'all's (yes, it IS grammatically correct - LOL) area....and God forbid it involves some sordid insurance scam of some sort...