The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Trying to find pervious owner

We just rescued an OTTB from Camelot. He's 14 years old and has in the past been very much loved that is very evident. Why he ended up in this situation we have no idea but would love to find out. His racing name was Great Warrior if anyone out there has heard of him please let me know. He now has a forever home but I would love to contact his pervious owner/owners to let them know he's fine

14 members found this post helpful.

Check with Equibase.com. Looks like your fellow last raced in 2007.

Post on the Racing forum here.

The economy is only getting worse. Maybe they just could not afford him. *sad*

I spoke to the owner and trainer today. He told me he was sold to a lady (no name) and that she really loved him and showed him but then she must have sold him two years ago because he got a call 2 years ago asking the same questions as me. He really is a sweetheart

He is lucky to have ended up with you.

Omg!!! That's my horse! What the freak? I placed him with someone who said she was going to show him and hunt him!!! In fact, i just asked how he was doing and she said he was fine an getting fit to hunt. i am shaking with anger right now, Please PM me.

7 members found this post helpful.

Btw, he's a 16.3h bay with a long skinny stripe and no white on his legs. He grinds his teeth when nervous and droops his lip when he's bored. He's hocky behind and arthritic, but a real sweetheart and he loves loves loves peppermints.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, if it IS the same horse as OneGrayPony's, then I think this is good because clearly, the new owner is geeked about the critter. OGP, if it really is your horse, I hope you'll take joy in knowing he's with someone who cares--enough to go looking even. I hope this won't be a "problem". Even if you got screwed/lied to/whatever, I sure hope you'll be kind to the OP. Not that you wouldn't, but I can imagine being upset if I were in your shoes.

Best wishes to all!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

7 members found this post helpful.

Amazing.

Oh I am tremendously grateful to the OP, just absolutely sick over the situation. We just spoke on the phone and we confirmed his identity. Apparently big nice barns, with contracts and people who are well known are also not safe. The person who he was placed with is my Facebook friend and told me he was doing great as recently as the 28th. I am so so glad he was pulled. So so grateful to the op that she has him

35 members found this post helpful.

I think it is great that OP got him at the auction.

And sad that someone else would lie to his former owner while sending him off to auction.

I hope he has a long and happy life in his new home.

1 members found this post helpful.

((hugs)) OGP. I'm sorry. But this is a happy ending as far as I can see. Glad you all got to chat! That will be helpful for both of you I bet.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Oh wow. I'm so sorry OGP.

Thank goodness that the OP made a thread to find out info, who knows what would have happened of she didn't buy him!

I would be raging mad too, if I had safeguards in place, and had actual conformation that the horse was doing great!! I hope you call the person you sold him to and have a little chit chat.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes I have spoken to the pervious owner. A happy ending for all involved especially Great Warrior who has already wormed his way into everyone's hearts :-) A very quick response indeed Yeah more pepermints for him tomorrow

17 members found this post helpful.

Holy crap. Thank goodness for him and all his connections.

I feel like going out and locking the barn door, people are simply crazy.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

What a lucky fella! Dang, this gave me chills just thinking about what might have happened. OGP--I think it's time you had a "chat" with your "friend."
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

4 members found this post helpful.

I'd be having some very choice words to say to the person who lied about the horse ... to say the very least !

Thank goodness that he's safe and obviously being spoiled rotten - he's one of the lucky ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    I'd be having some very choice words to say to the person who lied about the horse ... to say the very least ! .
    I wouldn't bother as it was THEIR horse at that point, but I'd sure make a note not to give them a dog I didn't like in future, never mind another horse...

Maybe he was their horse, but she blatantly lied to her "friend"... I think outing her on FB would be just rewards...
    What a beautiful ending! Thank you OP and so glad for you OGP that you could reconnect and know that your horse is safe and loved.
    Last edited by FalseImpression; Dec. 13, 2012 at 01:20 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.

He was standing on Camelot's lot when I was told that he was doing great. Same day. That's not even remotely a gray area. What I don't understand is what she was going to tell me when I stopped by as planned on December. He was only a few hours away and I was just making plans to head that way for a shindig on the 21st.

Of course, I'm still trying to process all of this. From what I am learning now, she traded him to someone else earlier in November, after showing him in October and winning quite a few blue ribbons. I am still trying to track down what happened from there. Am I upset? Yes. And grateful. And puzzled. He needed some hock injections and maintenance but he is a very fancy and well broke horse, who I hope very much will make his new owners happy, like he made me. It doesn't even seem like anyone tried to sell him anywhere else, which I do not understand.

So, I feel simultaneously great that he's in a good place and loved and just devastated that he had to be rescued at all. What a bizarre feeling.

26 members found this post helpful.