The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB stallion as a potential sport horse sire

I'm curious to hear what others may think of this guy. I kinda like him. A few minor conformational flaws, but nothing really bad. Opinions, please!

pics and at stud ad: http://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/3437781861.html
    pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/obvious+reason
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

He looks sooooo upright in the pasterns in front. Unless that's just something weird in those particular conformation shots, I would not breed to him because of that. Short, upright pasterns are just such a problem.

1 members found this post helpful.

His pedigree is okay.

He did nothing at the track, has done nothing since, has not produced anything that's done anything and the stud fee is $1000?

Cyriz's early bird discount (by 12/31) is $1000. I realize I'm biased, but WAAYYYYYYYYYYY more bang for the buck.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

What about this guy? Would he be worth it considering he was injured?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Just curious.
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    His pedigree is okay.

He did nothing at the track, has done nothing since, has not produced anything that's done anything and the stud fee is $1000?

Cyriz's early bird discount (by 12/31) is $1000. I realize I'm biased, but WAAYYYYYYYYYYY more bang for the buck.
    NO KIDDING.

And if you're looking for something for sport in Florida for live cover, try Wekiva Springs? MaxxTrot sent a mare to him this year, although I'm not sure if she caught. Wekiva Springs has produced a handful of eventers.

I like Outflanker quite a bit, and IIRC, he's produced some really durable racehorses. This particular son of his is definitely not an improvement on the sire and also seems to have missed out on the racing talent and perhaps the durability.

Do you REALLY think that people who would use THOSE liberty photos to demonstrate his finer qualities would know 'a+' movement if it bit them in the arse?

Maybe just my bias against owner ignorance, further bolstered by the ridiculous stud fee for a horse who has done nothing except get hurt...... If his training is going so great, why no u/s pics?

Jennifer

2 members found this post helpful.

Re: haya's boy.... Not great pics so hard to judge. Pedigree interesting. Not interesting enough to overlook unsound with no performance record or any likelihood of producing one.... Trainability also difficult to ascertain as a result. There are so many nice stallions who have multiple positives (temperament, soundness, performance record, pedigree, produce record, conformation--did I miss any critical criteria?). He would make a lovely gelding.

Jennifer

a) There are enough stallions out there with real sporthorse credentials proven in the showring and in the breeding shed.

b) These stallions are managed by people who have the facilities to give them quality of life and training.

c) Stallions, in general, have an unfortunate life of being confined, not allwed to integrate with their own kind and having a lot of discipline administered.

d) Stallions can be dangerous and need knowledgeable handlers.

Not trying to accuse the OP of any of the above criticisms, but trying to campaign a stallion or his offspring is costly and often disappointing.
    Gelding is an option. Stud fee is high for what they describe...but either way the fee is the least of the breeding expenses.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
    What about this guy? Would he be worth it considering he was injured?

Just curious.
    I wasn't excited about his bloodlines, and was REALLY not excited by his hind end angles. I'm not a breeder, but you can tell a LOT based on conformation... Not to mention unproven, injured, etc.

I agree with what was said about the first horse, too.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Here is a link to a picture of his daddy http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-r...382/outflanker

I have bred to Outflanker several times and have been very pleased with the results. We have two 2 year olds, one at the track and one getting ready to go. Both very similar in looks, much like their sire. Different temperaments. One is out of a Gulch (Mr. Prospector line) mare. Who is built more like a warmblood not surprising a bit typical of the Danzig line. His momma has a bit of an attitude which she passed on. He also was very interested in the girls at an early age and was gelded. He has a lovely “bounce” to his trot and one of our riders commented that he felt like a warmblood. The other is out of a Trempolino (Sharpen Up line) mare. Who took a little while to grow into himself but also looks very much like his daddy. Both were very nice to raise, break and work with.
    Comparing this horse’s picture with his daddy you can easily see the similarities. Though I feel his bottom (dam) line contributed quite a bit. I see a lot of Mr. Leader going on, along with Herbager, size, not as wide between his eyes, a bit leggy not as rounded in the hind end with his tail set lower then is the norm with Danzig/Northern Dancer line horses. I would also like to see more slope to his shoulder.
    I don’t feel this horse has short upright pasterns at all. Certainly not short maybe a tad upright but it wouldn’t put me off the horse.
    However I think the owner is hallucinating thinking this horse can command a $1,000 stud fee. Outflanker stands for $3,000 LFSN and I bet you could get a season for half that amount especially late in the breeding season. Or a good chance at $1,000 for a sport horse breeding. I would also suggest for those looking for a OTTB for sport purposes to keep an eye out for Outflankers.
    Of course this is all just my opinion take what you want throw out what you don’t.
    Last edited by gumtree; Dec. 17, 2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Trempolino not Trampoline

2 members found this post helpful.

Googled the stallion Obvious Reason, he's at Three Crowns Farm. They have a pretty nice website and several more pictures of the stallion on his page:
    http://threecrownsfarm.weebly.com/stallion.html

I do wonder why no under saddle pictures and no video whatsoever?

I could hazard a guess based on the pix they DO have of horses being ridden.... Yikes.

" Our riders will acquire a solid and safe seat which is actually one of the best ways to prevent accidents on horseback.". Good thing because good legs and usage of helmets is apparently optional......

Jennifer

I like Outflanker quite a bit. I just don't get trying to reinvent the wheel when there are so many proven sires out there in the same price range. I realize someone had to have bred to that sire in order for him to become proven but it sure wouldn't be me.

On the pedigree link the "i" shows his stud fee as $500, btw

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    And if you're looking for something for sport in Florida for live cover, try Wekiva Springs? MaxxTrot sent a mare to him this year, although I'm not sure if she caught. Wekiva Springs has produced a handful of eventers.
    Maxx Trot had a posting up earlier this year about breeding her mare to Wekiva Springs. Mare did not settle first time, said she was going to try again. I PM'd her to ask if her mare ever settled, and she said no. Can't remember the particulars, but she said Wekiva Springs had covered a handful of mares or so over the last 2-3 years and none of them took. So, it seems he's just shooting blanks now. A shame, as I was really interested in him.

As for the stallion in my original post, I just stumbled on it while browsing CL. I know his pedigree doesn't scream sport potential, but it did have enough names in it to pique my interest. Hence, wanting to ask everyone's opinion. However, if anyone knows of a good purebred thoroughbred stallion in the southeast that would be a good sport sire (and his stud fee is not outrageous because his "market" is for racing), I'd love suggestions.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    His pedigree is okay.

This. There are far nicer Thoroughbred stallions in Florida for that stud fee (or less). And I may be biased as well, but it's the truth.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    Maxx Trot had a posting up earlier this year about breeding her mare to Wekiva Springs. Mare did not settle first time, said she was going to try again. I PM'd her to ask if her mare ever settled, and she said no. Can't remember the particulars, but she said Wekiva Springs had covered a handful of mares or so over the last 2-3 years and none of them took. So, it seems he's just shooting blanks now. A shame, as I was really interested in him.

As for the stallion in my original post, I just stumbled on it while browsing CL. I know his pedigree doesn't scream sport potential, but it did have enough names in it to pique my interest. Hence, wanting to ask everyone's opinion. However, if anyone knows of a good purebred thoroughbred stallion in the southeast that would be a good sport sire (and his stud fee is not outrageous because his "market" is for racing), I'd love suggestions.

In GA, Maggie's Menagerie has two that they stand for sport exclusively. Artrageous (?) is in Florida. That is a start.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

The melbourne cup winner Americain will surely have a hefty stud at his new home- Calument --but he looked like he might make a good sporthorse sire!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/americain

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    The melbourne cup winner Americain will surely have a hefty stud at his new home- Calument --but he looked like he might make a good sporthorse sire!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/americain
    Oooo, a turf stayer! If he has a jump he should make excellent eventers.

Americain's pedigree is certainly drool-worthy! Viney, I checked out Maggie's Menagerie... I had no idea there was a son of Denny Emerson's Loyal Pal standing at stud in Georgia. Just knowing he is available almost makes me want to quit looking! Will definitely be giving them a call in the near future. Thanks for the suggestion!

I ought to post this under the Eventing section as well, but does anyone happen to know what became of any of the stallions that used to stand at Nancy Gosch's Wood'n Horse Stable in Newnan, GA? I know there's a son by Boc standing in north GA, but IIRC he only stands about 15.1 or so. Not only is the mare I want to breed 16.3 (would have to find a hole for her to stand in! ) but I'm tall enough I've got to be assured of something no less than 16h.