The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Usually you have to wait for some of the initial swelling to subside to get an accurate ultrasound. But, usually they aren't all that lame after the immediate injury.
    Good point CB. But 2 weeks? Perhaps he bruised or twisted something getting cast, creating the 3 legged lameness? But has had that suspensory cooking for a bit and nobody was looking for it? Wouldn't be the first time a suspensory has reared it's ugly head when looking for something else. Usually they occur long before we become aware of them, not from something sudden like getting cast.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

UPDATE: I got the ultrasound on the 18th and got WONDERFUL news. There are no lesions or holes anywhere and the vet thinks that he just tweaked his check ligament. Right now he's on 10 minutes of handwalking and next week it will go up to 15. We're looking at about 2 months before he gets to trot. But that's better than the 6-9 months I was anticipating!

I also talked to the buyers and explained the situation. They told me to update them on his progress and would possibly still be interested if they don't find anything before he gets better.

My poor little munchkin has been really good so far, but the weather is getting even colder and I hope he stays a little sane.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by circus peanuts View Post
    My poor little munchkin has been really good so far, but the weather is getting even colder and I hope he stays a little sane.

Great news and GOOD LUCK. I have my mare on Smart Pak's Ultra Calm and I think that helps. She's been great but now that we are trotting (2 min)--I give her a bit of Ace. Other rehab horses of mine, I've had to use SediVet. Just don't be afraid to use a little chemical assistance to help keep him calm so he can do his rehab correctly and safely!

ETA: Talk to your vet about it first though!
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 28, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Great news and GOOD LUCK. I have my mare on Smart Pak's Ultra Calm and I think that helps. She's been great but now that we are trotting (2 min)--I give her a bit of Ace. Other rehab horses of mine, I've had to use SediVet. Just don't be afraid to use a little chemical assistance to help keep him calm so he can do his rehab correctly and safely!
    THIS... Ace is your friend as your horse could re-injure himself, or you (don't ask how I know) when they get frisky from restricted exercise and the cold weather!
    a horseless canuck...

Last edited by pwrpfflynn; Dec. 28, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Told ya! You didn't have a diagnosis unless you had an ultrasound. Best of luck with the rehab.

I know you are frustrated but be glad you still have him. My horse cast himself, twisted his gut & died of collic the next morning even after having a vet our to check him. I would have gladly take a suspensory issue.

It's all in how you rehab him, in my experience. I had a friend that had a very nice, very expensive young horse that suffered from a suspensory injury. The mare received PRP injections, shockwave therapy, and was wrapped with the BOTs religiously. It took about 18 months for her to return to full work (where she was prior to the injury). Several years later she is still maintained overnight in her BOTs.

The rehab was very extensive, but not unberable. She was on stall rest for several weeks, followed by handwalking with ace for several weeks. She then moved up to turnout (very limited) with ace. She was eventually weaned off the ace and her turnout increased. She still wears eggbar shoes for added support.

The best advice, absolutely DO NOT cut corners on vet care. If you are hoping for a full and complete recovery, my suggestion would be to go to a large clinic where the suspensory injury is seen on a more regular basis.

A full recovery is not out of the question, but will require a great deal of rehab dedication from you, a knowedgable farrier, and a very competent vet. It makes the process much easier if the farrier and vet communicate.

Wishing you best of luck!

1 members found this post helpful.