The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs down UPDATE: Would this be enough to make you move barns??

EDITED FOR ANONYMITY:

Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully this will be enough to push my parents towards letting me move

UPDATE:
    Well that didn't go over well.. It's convenient for the horse to be where it is apparently and then they threatened to sell the horse because I misled them into thinking that I was going to be able to ride during college.. oy.. looks like the horse will be staying put, unfortunately. Mom said if I moved him that she wouldn't go out and check on the horse anymore because it wouldn't be convenient for her. Dad then said they would lease the horse out or sell the horse. They're convinced that they know enough to check up on the horse.
    Last edited by AlterHalter123; Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

seems obvious, I'm not sure why you are even asking. You aren't happy Move. Easy peasy.

7 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the imput but I wish it was that simple, parents are VERY reluctant to move.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Um, for that much money at a full care board facility you should not have to keep your eye on EVERY SINGLE thing thats wrong. I have boarded at full care facilities for half the price you mention while at university and not been concerned at all when I went home for breaks/couldn't get out to the barn due to schoolwork or whichever.

If I were your parents I'd be furious that I was paying that sum of money for my horse to be mistreated and my belongings to be misused.

I could go on and on and I'm sure others will but in a nutshell:
    MOVE, YESTERDAY.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

Add me to the why are you even bother to ask crowd.

2 members found this post helpful.

Move. Immediately. I would have had my horse out of there so fast after I learned about the feeding incident. The barn rules are incidental, the care is not.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Print this post out and give it to your parents to read. They are basically flushing their money away.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by AlterHalter123 View Post
    Thanks for the imput but I wish it was that simple, parents are VERY reluctant to move.
    why are they reluctant to move? Perhaps you should, in a non-emotional way, lay out like you did here the problems with the care (wouldn't bother with stuff like matching trunks & blankets, that's not as much of a dealbreaker for some, especially if you parents will buy you what the barn requires) and give them options for where you'd like to move to and why.

I wouldn't need to ask anyone else's opinion, your horse is being mistreated, its that simple, you need to find a better situation for her/him. I might put up with the inconsequential stuff like matching tack trunks, blankets, etc. (which is SOP in most big show barns), but not feeding or having the farrier out regularly is outright abuse IMO and I would be out of there as soon as I was able to find another boarding situation.

Move ASAP, it's a matter of your horse's health and safety. Your parents should understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Add me to the why are you even bother to ask crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Print this post out and give it to your parents to read. They are basically flushing their money away.
    Done and done. And BTW? I think your trainer is absolutely exploiting your youth, your willingness to turn the other cheek and your absenteeism. Why don't your parents see that? I'd be interested to hear why they suggest staying at this barn.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by AlterHalter123 View Post
    I wish it was that simple, parents are VERY reluctant to move.
    Dear Lord, why?! Are they non-horsey people? The leaving shoes on for 10 weeks and lying about the feed would have sent me packing a long time ago.

If you can't convince your parents to move your horse, how will random COTH input help?

Sorry you're dealing with this...I hope it gets resolved. SOON.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I mean, I am not trying to be rude, but what you mentioned in regards to the feed and shoeing is borderline neglect (not even thinking about the 4 figures you are paying).

I just can't imagine that with the feeding and shoeing, added to the fact that your tack was being used without your permission, and your horse is being paid to be ridden and isn't, would even allow any reason for hesitation with your parents. It just doesn't add up?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Thanks for the quick replies... My parents are becoming more horsey people, they're still learning. I'm going to show this to them.

Edited to add that my parents want to keep the horse close because of convenience. They're close to her, so they like that they can go out and check on her, even though they don't know enough to know it really is a problem. The other barn is quite more of a distance away.

Easy...I'd be gone ....long time ago actually...I might have put up with trunk and plaque nonsense....but when you start messing around with my horse...done!!

I understand that not all barns are perfect and each trainer will do things a certain way but dang...there are so many bad things going on in your OP I would have left long ago.

Wow. We had a trainer like that 25 years ago, right down to the crappy used tack. Finally took finding one of the grooms smoking in the horse's stall to convince my parents to move barns. Good luck.

Well, color me confused, why would your parents insist on supporting this trainer ? I have a young OTTB and they can send me a check if they are so insistant on throwing money away....

Edit: I would actually provide a detailed account of how the money was spent on my horse however...

I'd rather have my horse and belongings safe and secure some distance away than mistreated and uncared for right next door. Move!

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Well, color me confused, why would your parents insist on supporting this trainer ? I have a young OTTB and they can send me a check if they are so insistant on throwing money away....
    Because they feel like they can become more horsey people and learn and then keep an eye on her themselves. They're hoping that if they go out more that they can keep an eye on her.

Trust me, it pisses me off and I want nothing more than to rip my horse out of there, but I don't pay the bills. They want her there solely because it is convenient and the barn is very close to our house. My mom wants to be able to get to her fast if something were to go wrong. I want to follow my old trainer to their barn, but they are not there 24/7 like they were at this barn so my parents are reluctant because they don't know the barn manager or the grooms or anyone there, so they just worry about the horse. Trust me.. I have tried and tried to convince them. I'll show them this tread, because quite honestly I'm so fed up with it. I hate the barn she's at now.