The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pick my solar fence charger...

The beasts are being a bit mischievous. I would like to run one strand of hot wire above our three board oak fence so that we can avoid them thinking that it's a toy. We'll assume their field is roughly an acre or so, give or take.

I've run a search here reading up on solar chargers and it seems like people like the Parmak, Zareba and Patriot brands. Any particular preference? What size would be good for my particular scenario? Am I better off getting one that says it charges 5-10 miles, figuring that it isn't that much more expensive and I may need to run additional wire in the future?

Things to avoid?
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I have always had good luck with this model.
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/.../0000000000521

The ones I have are much older and have a needle guage rather than the digital readout. Two of mine must be about twenty years old and have never failed.

Do not forget about the Federal income tax solar credit; its 30% of the cost without a cap

"Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit This tax credit will help individual taxpayers pay for qualified residential alternative energy equipment, such as solar hot water heaters, solar electricity equipment and wind turbines installed on or in connection with their home located in the United States and fuel cell property installed on or in connection with their main home located in the United States. The credit, which runs through 2016, is 30 percent of the cost of qualified property"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Do not forget about the Federal income tax solar credit; its 30% of the cost without a cap

"Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit This tax credit will help individual taxpayers pay for qualified residential alternative energy equipment, such as solar hot water heaters, solar electricity equipment and wind turbines installed on or in connection with their home located in the United States and fuel cell property installed on or in connection with their main home located in the United States. The credit, which runs through 2016, is 30 percent of the cost of qualified property"
    Really? Do you just need to provide appropriate forms/receipts? Pretty cool!

I just bought the Patriot SolarGuard 155 charger at my local feed store for a great price. I can't speak for its durability since I've only been using it for 2 weeks, but it was very easy to install and works correctly so far. It provides just enough zap to keep the horses off of it, but won't incapacitate you if you accidentally touch it. I've noticed the shock is stronger at night when it's running off battery then during the day when the sun is out (is that normal?).

If I hadn't gotten such a convenient bargain on the Patriot charger, I was going to buy a Parmak Solar Pak 6. Everyone raves about them and I've worked at several farms using them and never had a problem. It looks like the prices have just been lowered on them in the past couple months, too, because I couldn't find one for under $200 when I was looking earlier this year.

I've heard the Zareba chargers from TSC are not worth the money, but have never used one personally. I did read lots of negative reviews online when shopping.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

The barn where I used to board had good results with Parmak, both solar and line powered. Parmak has an excellent installation manual, especially if you live in an area with poor soil conductivity. There are several options shown to reduce the problems associated it.

Another important component is a lightning diverter ( http://www.kencove.com/fence/Lightni...etail_MWLA.php ). Properly installed and adjusted, they will reduce the probability of damage from a nearby strike.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lAg_Qc8Mg
    Last edited by Frank B; Dec. 13, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams