The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Slightly unrelated but you all should really read the Crone's blog. Hilarious! What talent!

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the compliment, Beau's mom!

In other news, I've now received a few responses to my Craigslist ad for a horse girl. What a freakshow! It is surprising how many men wish to apply for the position. I'm afraid I was obliged to nix the application from the dude who says he moved to Austin from a California cattle ranch to pursue a career as a songwriter. Back in the day I used to be a rock star, and I have yet to meet the musician who would show up anywhere at 7am, much less to shovel manure. Not only that, I saw his video on YouTube, and he is totally ripping off Duran Duran.
    Last edited by The Crone of Cottonmouth County; Dec. 18, 2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

10 members found this post helpful.

I finally found a horsesitter I could trust by way of my vet clinic. They have a tech who does petsitting, and also their barn manager can look after my horses if I leave. If I wanted someone for part time work, I might start there too.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Having a helper would be amazing!

Then I think, wait, how can I explain to this said person the quirks of all my horses?

Like, the retired hunter who lives with my weanling has to be fed with a feed bag or he will spit it every where and the chickens will eat the grain.

Or don't go in the 4 year old bays stall because he will eat you alive then play with your carcass? Not to mention which bay because they all look the same!

Then which rooster will attack you and which one likes to do a dance around you before breakfast.

Which combo of feed for which horse, the weanling feed? Broodmare feed?

I get exhausted thinking about it.

Then it's time to go out to the barn again!

4 members found this post helpful.

Ah, Cronie, a kindred spirit! See my post on 'did you ever sell the farm.' After 30 years, not 3, I am no longer a slave to my pitchfork and when I think back on the years I actually mucked into the back of our ancient pickup, only to then have to shovel it out at the manure dump, I think I must have been temporarily insane. Although I had pecs of steel.
    I hope you will find a good horse gal-Friday soon. Hang in there!

2 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I have enjoyed reading about the vaunted English horse girl who knows no peer; the story simultaneously restores my faith in the whole Horse Girl Industrial Complex while reconfirming the Buddha's depressing maxim that nothing is forever.
    [/QUOTE]

Sadly, in this case, the Buddha was right.

A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post

In other news, I've now received a few responses to my Craigslist ad for a horse girl. What a freakshow! It is surprising how many men wish to apply for the position. I'm afraid I was obliged to nix the application from the dude who says he moved to Austin from a California cattle ranch to pursue a career as a songwriter. Back in the day I used to be a rock star, and I have yet to meet the musician who would show up anywhere at 7am, much less to shovel manure. Not only that, I saw his video on YouTube, and he is totally ripping off Duran Duran.
    Ripping off Duran Duran would cause one pause.
    On the other hand, chances are he is not getting a lot of work these days.. .
    so just might be available for those early mornings...
    If he did actually work on a cattle ranch, he might be pretty usefull.
    (reread the earlier post about the difference between 'farm workers' and 'horse girls' - it rang true to me.

My husband is a musician, and although he will sometimes give me a hand in the barn, it is really not his thing. And he is never willingly up at 7am.
    Plus if I ever did get away it would be with him...

My search continues. If anyone knows anyone....

I tried Craigslist, and unfortunately, didn't do so hot with it. I am sure good ones are out there, I just didn't happen to find them.

Network. Ask your vet, your blacksmith, the local grain store, fellow horse owners. I have gotten some of my very best people this way, people who turned into friends too. The problem I have run into is that over the years,I have had a lot of school aged and college aged people who graduated and moved on in this world, as they should. However, that leaves me looking to fill the void again.

And maybe this is a New England thing, but on average, I pay about $15/hr, with horses that are well mannered, a barn set up for optimal ease (I hate busting my butt needlessly) and no extra stuff,like dogs, chickens, goats,cats, or tons of blankets on and off. I was kind of surprised at some of the replies on what people pay.

"Forkulations"?!?!?!?!?!

You. Are. Brilliant.

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree with the past posts on paying an hourly wage, riding privileges for work can get muddy. Anyone who is eager and willing to learn would hopefully understand the basics relatively quickly. Are there any schools nearby? There are always a couple of ambitious teens whose parents can't fork out the cash for equine endeavors.

Way back when I was a clueless teen, I would work five days a week during the summer for riding privileges. I cleaned 20+ stalls along with arena and grounds maintenance. In addition to being the poor unfortunate soul to try out the newest auction purchase intended for the already grossly overbooked lesson program, I also had the privilege of dealing with rank stallions and dumb babies.

Only after I had purchased my first horse years later did I realize I had been somewhat cheated for my services, thus the hourly wages. Sadly enough, I would probably do it again, sans riding the auction horses. (Could be saving cash without the anti-anxiety meds and two years worth of lunge lessons at only walk and trot from the resulting equine related ptsd.)

Way back when I hired a local teenaged Horse Girl, I gave her a choice: Straight work for $8/hour or part work and part learning (riding, wrapping, grooming, all of it) for $4/hr. She chose the work/learn option, and always had the choice to change it. Mostly we did chores and horse handling together, with me explaining how and why. It worked out well, and eventually she was knowledgable enough to do it all herself and I could leave or stay late in town.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Crone! Has your fabulous freeze-free hose arrived yet?? I was in tears reading your blog entry about it!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

You might do better looking at the OPPOSITE end of the age spectrum from teenagers, 4-H kids, lawn-mowing boys and the like. They tend to be inexperienced, judgment-less and more interested in the boy down the road than your 7 a.m. feeding. I am 60, rotting on Social Security, and completely capable of performing all your tasks and MORE and bringing an occasional apple pie.

6 members found this post helpful.

I am so fortunate that I have a local "horse lady" that can do the horses for me for an afternoon, a day, a weekend, a week - whatever is required. She is local, has a brain, can tell the difference between colic and them scratching their sides because they have an itch. She worked in a high end show barn before deciding she didnt want to do that anymore. I have confidently given her the keys to our house, she has lived here with no problems for a week, the dog likes her, the horses are all fine when we return and the stalls dont need to be gutted and re-bedded totally upon my return

I mean truly - what else could a person ask for?!

I pay her more than what she asked for, she got a nice Christmas gift, and $50.00 when I asked her to come by last weekend to do night check and let the dog out for a pee when we were out. She lives 10 minutes up the road so she was probably here and back home within 90 minutes

I LOVE my "horse lady"

Crone? Oh Crone? Nothing since 12-18?
    Rats, I broke lurk mode just for you and OTH out of concern for your wellbeing.

Perhaps she found a "horse boy" and rode off into the Texas sunset?

HRMT

I just want to know if Crone got her magic hose...

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Crone! Has your fabulous freeze-free hose arrived yet?? I was in tears reading your blog entry about it!
    I was outside (carting a heavy hose around) and wondering the same thing!

Yup, since it appears that the thread about that hose and the problems that people have been having has been pulled, I'd like to know also. Who was the inventor of that hose again?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Yup, since it appears that the thread about that hose and the problems that people have been having has been pulled, I'd like to know also. Who was the inventor of that hose again?

I haven't been on this forum for a while, I remember there was a thread about this great hose - but when I came back and searched for it, I couldn't find it.

What sort of problems were people having, Louise?

http://dreadfulacres.com/blog/crone-...llers-noooooo/

Here is crone's blog about the hose, no update there either as far as I could see.

I wish I were closer to your area of TX. I'd be your horse girl! My current horse situation is rather depressing, and I'm looking!