The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Standing Wraps were too tight!!! Odd swelling!

I have a horse recovering from a fractured splint bone and per the vets request we keep a standing wrap on regularly so he doesnt " knock it" and it gives him extra support. Our morning feeder who is extremely knowledgable has been wrapping him in the mornings and we re wrap him at night with some breathing time in between and cold hosing etc.

Last night I noticed the wrap looked really tight even before I could bend down and remove it. Once removed he had very bad swelling on the lower front of the cannon bone. What could this be? I know there is a ligament..tendon.. something that runs across the front of the cannon, perhaps that is it?

We iced it, walked him, and iced again and put him in a stall with Surpass rubbed on it and left him unwrapped. Im hoping the swelling is better by this evening....

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

It is just another form of bandage being too tight swelling.
    It might take a few days for the swelling to go down all the way. Do not be surprised if the skin scabs and you have hair color change.

It's hard to say w/o seeing it, but assuming there's no heat, it sounds like it is localized edema from the wrap being too tight in the area around the swelling. I suppose this could happen from it preventing blood and/or lymphatic fluid from draining properly. It should go down on it's own assuming it's not re-wrapped. I can't imagine a wrap being so tight that it would cause permanent vascular damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    It is just another form of bandage being too tight swelling.
    It might take a few days for the swelling to go down all the way. Do not be surprised if the skin scabs and you have hair color change.
    This. My horse had this happen while being wrapped to protect stitches. The skin became scabby and sloughed off in places and now his (previously black) cannon bone has a bunch of white patches. He was very lame on it for a few days, but within a week showed no ill affect (other than the nasty skin)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

This happened while I was out of town and the barn manager at the time wrapped my horse for me (the main reason why I don't let ANYONE wrap my horses legs, other than myself). Exact same swelling, ballooned up on both front legs within 10 minutes of me taking the wraps off. It was soft tissue inflammation, and it was pretty extreme. He does have some permanent swelling from it, and the areas turned white. This particular horse was healing from another injury that ended up being career-ending and as such we didn't do additional diagnosis/imaging after that first day of ultrasounds, so it's hard to say if the wrapping fiasco/damage effected his soundness.
    If your horse is in serious work, I would definitely have a vet out to ultrasound and evaluate the severity before continuing work. In the short term, keep doing what you're doing... wraps off, cold hold, surpass, rinse and repeat...
    Last edited by JSjumper; Dec. 12, 2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added more details

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSjumper View Post
    This happened while I was out of town and the barn manager at the time wrapped my horse for me (the main reason why I don't let ANYONE wrap my horses legs, other than myself). Exact same swelling, ballooned up on both front legs with 10 minutes of me taking the wraps off. It was soft tissue damage, though not horrible. He does have some permanent swelling front it, and the areas turned white. If your horse is in serious work, I would definitely have a vet out to ultrasound and evaluate the severity before continuing work. In the short term, keep doing what you're doing... wraps off, cold hold, surpass, rinse and repeat...
    This.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I would rather have my horse's bandages on for 24 hours and have only myself to blame for a problem than let someone else wrap her. I know recommendations are to not leave wraps on for more than 12 hours, but I *knock on wood* have never had a problem leaving them on for 24.

That said, I would ice the swelling and leave it unwrapped til it goes down. I doubt there will be any long term soundness effects from it.

pressure sores for tight bandages is common and some even forget when competing from an event that has more than one displine to change the bandages during each section for exsample- bandages constrict when wet so if one was doing x/c then change bandages clean the legs and dry them before competing at the next section

Bandage bow! Cold hose it, do it up in cool green gel and give some bute if you have any! If doesnt resolve in 2-3 days, have your vet scan it!

Call me old fashioned, but I use only flannel bandages for standing wraps because they will not stretch and are almost impossible to put on too tight. I also do not let anyone else wrap my critters, although I do allow my daughter to do her own now. She is 19 and a graduate c-2 pony clubber.

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't let anyone else wrap my horses...except my daughter who used to be a polo groom and and equine vet tech.

Does it look like this? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mb8-Qujybj...0/P5030003.JPG

That's a bandage bow.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Laura- YES, thats unfortunately what it looks like. The swelling has since gone down and the heat is gone. I have wrapped him with a gel ice pack for twenty minutes a day to break the heat cycle and it seems to help a great deal. Like a few have said, I have noticed some scabbing where it swelled and I expect some white hairs to grow. This was so frustrating. The girl who wrapped him that morning claims that she did research and she found that thats what happens when you have a horse turned out with a wrap on. C'mon! The paddock is 24' x 24'! I told her that MY researsch showed that the wrap may have been too snug. I dont want to get on her case about it bc she has been a big help, heck she is studying to be a VET!
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

What type of bandage are you wrapping with? I am also in the only use flannel camp because they do not stretch! If you use material that stretches you will stretch it out when wrapping and it will then constrict when you are not pulling on it.