The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I just ordered my 2013 Nokota calendar, actually 12 of them

http://www.nokota.org/store/index.ph...d&productId=97
    Saving the Native Horse of the Northern Plains, the Nokota Horse Conservancy struggles every year to raise enough money to care for the horses in their charge. I suggested that we do what we've always talked about, make our first calendar. So this year we got it off to a late start. I just ordered 12 for me and 10 for a friend to give as gifts. These calendars are more than a way to keep track of the days, weeks and months, they are a link to the native horses, the only registered bloodlines of the rare horses of the Northern Plains Badlands, the horses that survived the Battle of the Little Big Horn, Sitting Bull's horse's descendants.

I believe that we need to help them survive. Being in North Dakota they lack people, this little town, Linton, ND is tiny and not very populated with people that is. But they have more Nokota horses than anywhere in the world because this is where the effort to preserve them began. I've been out there twice and left a piece of my heart there. I can still feel the sun on me as I walked into the pasture of 2 year old stud colts and they treated me like a friend and one chose me and whispered in my ear that he would fit into the overhead compartment. LOL Oh the things they will tell you when they choose you. It took a few years, the next year he confirmed that he would be my horse and was packing his bags for Pennsylvania. He arrived here as a 5 year old, ready to please but not willing to get up when people sat on his back as he lay in the pasture in PA. Eventually he decided that he would move under saddle and nicely too. Now he is ridden often, a mature gelding (ouch) with 2 other Nokota geldings, my first Nokota Leo, a fully foundational Ranch type, Teddy Bear, rounded up from the Theodore Roosevelt National Park as a youngster, so smart that it's embarressing, and finally my pasture buddy from ND Orion, a super dark bay that he's often called black with white on his face, he's the baby of the gang.

Many individuals have sponsored the pages mostly of their own horses so you may see the photos of the Nokota horse in action or just in arms of their owners who love them so much. I was too late to get the photo in of any of my boys but next year I'll have more time and will get the oldest of them in the calendar. Two of them (Leo & Teddy) have been painted by artist Michele Melina and their painting and other Nokota paintings can be seen on her web site www.michelemelinafineart.com under the Nokota link on the left of the page. I hope you will visit the site and also buy a calendar or 2, one for you and one for a present.

Has anyone else ordered these calendars? If so did you get yours yet? I haven't seen them yet.