The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tack shopping in Europe?

We are planning a trip to Europe next summer: 3 days each (give or take) in London, Amsterdam, Venice, and Munich. I'm guessing that, other than in Venice, there are some serious tack-shopping opportunities to be had. I have a friend in Munich (our last stop) who could possibly ship stuff home for us.

I haven't been in ages so I need to review the VAT system to see if it's really worth looking for any "bargains", but are there items that are worth buying that are only available over there? Any must-visit places within very easy reach of those cities? (no car)
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bits and spurs are a bargain. Most anything leather is a pretty good deal too. Nice rubber grip reins were 15 Euros, HS bit were in the in the 20 EU range. Breeches, paddock shoes were also OK for the big name brands.
    She fell in love with a saddle, but that wasn't in the cards!

Anything you buy in the UK would be VAT exempt for you. You would pay VAT at the time of purchase but keep all your receipts and go to the office at the airport, fill in the form, along with your receipts to show VAT payment and you will be refunded the amount.

It is also worth mentioning that if you buy anything on-line from a UK site that you make sure you are not charged VAT on the purchase. Prices are shown with VAT included.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, snoop! It's a hoop worth jumping through for the (IIRC) fairly substantial savings. Does the same apply in continental Europe? (clearly I have lots of homework to do . . .)

Research is key because the major cities don't have that many tack shops in the cities themselves. My guess is that you will need to go to the 'burbs.

Also be careful about mailing things back to yourself. You may get hit with customs duty. That's what happened to me before.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Lots of good/interesting Euro brands that are hard to find here. I am currently exploring some vendors and trying to make things (maybe) work for DHS. Check out HKM. Neat stuff. GOOD PRICES (compared to what similar US products might sell for). HARD to find here.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Wow, someone negged me for offering a genuinely-meant suggestion. Hey anonymous jerk... you're an A-hole
    ~Veronica

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Wow, someone negged me for offering a genuinely-meant suggestion. Hey anonymous jerk... you're an A-hole

LOL, the thumbs are so annoying! I wish there was a way to know if a "notification" meant a PM or a "thumb", because I would so much rather not be made aware of my thumbs, whereas PMs I do like to keep up with.

I for one appreciated the tidbits. But I don't use thumbs on principle.

ETA it appears someone just hates the whole topic because I just got two "bad thumbs" apparently for simply posting this thread! Hey cranky pants, you know where else you can stick your thumb?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

They're probably jealous! :-P. FWIW I only give thumbs if I say so afterwords.

As for London...definitely try suburbs. In London itself there's basically Harrods (where you are unlikely to find bargains) and thats it. I know the SW suburbs of London fairly well so if you want more specific info feel free to drop me a PM and I'll see if I can dig any of my old haunts up.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

ETA it appears someone just hates the whole topic because I just got two "bad thumbs" apparently for simply posting this thread! Hey cranky pants, you know where else you can stick your thumb?

I've noticed an exorbitant amount of down-thumbing lately. I think we have "anti-eventer curmudgeons" lurking around. Hey, curmudgeon, why don't you go have a nice glass of wine? Or the whole bottle for that matter.

Let's see, I'll just start my thumb timer and see how long it takes . . . .
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Not to hijack, but does anyone know of any tack shops in or around Paris? I'm going over this summer and would love to know of some spots to put on the "must go to" list
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Anyone know if there are any tack shops in/near Salzkotten-Verne, Bonn, Talheim, Nienburg, Luebeck, Viersen? All located in Germany. I will be there in February for 3 weeks..work trip;-)

HAVE FUN. (And here are indoor shows in Germany then).

Don't worry about no cars, trains run everywhere (and on time in Germany). Many people speak english but a translation app is a good idea. Also, you can get sims for phones there (or AHEAD OF TIME) get international rates/change your plan (and leave it changed for about 2 months...that's how long billing may take to make it over the pond).

In Holland http://www.divoza.com/home.html
    In Munich: http://www.reitsport-schnauder.de/ and http://www.passion-pferd.de/

Some things are more expensive, some less. Take a dover catalogue along to compare things you might want. $1 is only worth 75cents, so make sure you know your conversions/same thing with horse heights if you are looking at them. Take a saddle bag along, and put a saddle on a horse once/wear a coat/etc. Dont get back VAT, but they are used/no duty.

Paris: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...tores-in-Paris
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by NSRider View Post
    Not to hijack, but does anyone know of any tack shops in or around Paris? I'm going over this summer and would love to know of some spots to put on the "must go to" list
    Hermes
    ~Veronica

I have been to most of the places listed above. You do need to leave the cities to find the really good tack shops. Most of the shops IN the cities are way overpriced. When you add in the conversion, it doesn't make sense.

Don't forget claiming the VAT can also be a huge PITA, particularly if you don't allow yourself enough time for unexpected lines at the airport. My mom bought a saddle at Burghley and I'm pretty sure the line was at least 40-50 minutes at Heathrow. It also depends on how many agents are working.

I find it's much easier to just shop online in the country you're in, and then have it shipped to your hotel. While traveling Europe, I have bought GPA, CWD, etc. for substantially less online (but not having to pay the VAT since I use my Canadian or US billing address) and then shipping is cheap, cheap, cheap within the country. Luckily I have never had a problem using some sort of registered mail to make sure the goods arrived while I'm actually in that particular hotel.

Have fun!

[London does have a few different places, but again, tend to be pricey unless it's something domestically produced, like Woof boots. There is riding through Hyde Park, and you'll find a couple small tack shops in that area. Don't google tack store, get the [insert language here] word for whatever country you're in. In London, typing in equestrian is better than horse.

I have been to this tack store on Clifford St. before http://www.schniederboots.com. It's pricey but has very nice, traditional stuff (think hunting gear) and they have all sorts of handmade leather goods. I bought a pair of leather/crochet backing gloves for £80. They were nice but not mind blowing. They had nice newmarket-style wool coolers, very beautiful thick wool but they were £350 or something like that.]
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    LOL, the thumbs are so annoying! I wish there was a way to know if a "notification" meant a PM or a "thumb", because I would so much rather not be made aware of my thumbs, whereas PMs I do like to keep up with.

I for one appreciated the tidbits. But I don't use thumbs on principle.

Maybe they are jealous that you have the opportunity to travel overseas. Enjoy the time, see all that you can and of course we will require a list of all that you purchased plus pictures.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by NSRider View Post
    Not to hijack, but does anyone know of any tack shops in or around Paris?
    PADD has several locations in Paris.

For Holland/Belgium, the border area -- Den Bosch, Breda, etc -- is quite horsey, and there are a number of tack shops around with nice stuff and good prices. UK shops tend to be more eventing-oriented, however.

On a side note...
    I'm in the market for a used saddle "upgrade".. sort of... I mean there needs to be some serious planet alignment for me to afford this "upgrade"... I like the french saddles and I've been all over the U.S used saddle websites, and wondered if there were any greater deals buying saddles overseas... or if anyone knows of any European websites to stalk that sell used saddles.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

There are not really good places to buy tack in London itself. I personally buy most of my equipment at shows and events where the range is large and the prices are good. So maybe plan your trip to take in some large event? Badminton, Burghley, Blenheim, Chatsworth, etc. There are many places outside London e.g. http://www.rbequestrian.co.uk/