The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My dog attacked a feral cat

My lab attacked and killed a feral cat last night. I am beside myself about this because I was in the process of rehabbing the poor cat. It was an accident, my dog is not allowed to run loose, but he got out last night.

I do not blame him at all and this has not ever happened before and will not happen again.

My question is, the cat scratched his nose and under and above his eye. I am about 100% sure the cat was not vaccinated but has been on the porperty long enough to see that he did not exhibt any outward sign of disease. I treated my dogs cuts with triple antibotic cream. Is he at risk for any onfection? He seemed ok this morning and the cuts are not red or oozing. What should I watch for? My dog is up to date on his vaccinations but they expire at the end of the month.

Thanks

Call the vet and ask.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default bad dog

Your dog is fine. Good luck keeping him in. Keep the wounds clean and watch for swelling/abcess, and then he might need an antibiotic. I would not keep a dog that killed other animals.

7 members found this post helpful.

I would be concerned that his eye could've been scratched. I would be inclined to talk to my vet and see about doing a stain to check. Or at least get up to speed on what to watch for.

Cat scratches sure do have a propensity for turning into infections/abscesses.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Is there any chance of trying to work with your dog around cats so you can train this out of him? In my experience, the problem is more with the "chase".
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I would be concerned that his eye could've been scratched. I would be inclined to talk to my vet and see about doing a stain to check. Or at least get up to speed on what to watch for.

Cat scratches sure do have a propensity for turning into infections/abscesses.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Is there any chance of trying to work with your dog around cats so you can train this out of him? In my experience, the problem is more with the "chase".
    He has a high prey drive, which I am aware of. We do not have small animals in the house nor do we intend too. He is fine with Kids, other dogs, horses, etc... He is not fine with cats or other small animals. He does not ususally get out. This was a freak thing, which was 100% my fault. Why get rid of a perfectly good dog because he did what a hunting bred dog does? He was a stray before we got him and appeared to have been on the loose for awhile. I am aware of his issue and make that he is not around "prey". He stays in the house or a fenced in yard. I have had him for 7 years and he has never killed any other animal.

By the way, so far his actual eye seems fine. No squinting or watering.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give you the impression that I though you should get rid of your dog. To me, it's a pretty normal thing. If they don't know cats, horses, kids, whatever, some dogs are just following a natural drive. Sounds like you've got him all squared away with kids and horses. It sounds like a sad accident to me. I would be more concerned at this point though with his eye.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

4 members found this post helpful.

Buddy, it was not your post but the one above it where the poster said they would not keep him. I appreciate your advice. I am watching his eye!

This was a freak thing, which was 100% my fault. Why get rid of a perfectly good dog because he did what a hunting bred dog does?
    exactly. Good for you for a) accepting his nature as a predator, and b) being very responsible about it.
    Sometimes these things happen. People should be more responsible with their cats and not let them run around loose, breeding and creating feral cats.

if there is any chance the actual eye is involved I'd go to the vet, just in case. Otherwise just watch for heat/swelling in the scratches.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenAcres View Post
    Your dog is fine. Good luck keeping him in. Keep the wounds clean and watch for swelling/abcess, and then he might need an antibiotic. I would not keep a dog that killed other animals.

Then you probably shouldn't own an animal, since all animals can kill another. Many dogs will be fine with "their" cats (cats owned by owner), but find a stray coming into their territory fair game. Dogs being aggessive to other animals, generally are not people aggressive. Even horses can stomp a cat or dog that enters into it's area. Cats will kill mice, birds, squirrels.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have no suggestions about the scratches on your dog except to call your vet. I would, however, stop trying to rehab feral cats. I would actually go so far as to say you should try to chase them away, since obviously they are not safe there.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by judmor View Post
    I have no suggestions about the scratches on your dog except to call your vet. I would, however, stop trying to rehab feral cats. I would actually go so far as to say you should try to chase them away, since obviously they are not safe there.
    WOW! Since I have 2 non-ferals that have also lived there for 7 + years, I guess my track record is pretty bad isn't it! I don't try to rehab them. He came, he stayed, I tried to get him tame enough to take to the vet to get shots, fixed etc... I am very upset this happened and take 100% of the blame. Thanks for rubbing salt in the wounds.

Sorry for all your troubles, spotnnotfarm, but I am glad your dog seems no worse for wear.

Depending on how your pup went about it, I'd check with the vet to see if anything could have been transferred via a bite (ie, the pup biting the cat and ingesting blood or anything else). It sounds like you tended to the scratches just fine so as long as the eye/skin around it isn't displaying any obvious signs of infections, that should heal.

2 members found this post helpful.

Spot - If the dog is due for shots later in the month, I'd just take him in, get them early and make sure he's otherwise ok.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

2 members found this post helpful.

I would definitely put a call into the vet and see what he or she thinks. If you have a good relationship, the vet probably won't mind answering this question and if the vet is concerned about infection, it may turn out to be cheaper to put the dog on some antibiotics as a preventative.
    I am so sorry that this happened. I love all animals, but I've had high prey drive dogs and so I don't have cats. It was an accident. I'm glad you caught your dog.

Hope your boy has no issues with the scratches - they can get nasty quick!

I have a greyhound and foster them as well. We tell everyone considering adopting that NO greyhound should EVER be trusted OUTSIDE with small animals, even small animals they happily cohabitate with inside. Our girlie is great with our cats inside, and I THINK she's got a low enough drive to not kill them if they somehow got out and she were out (this has never happened as our kitties are indoor only and not door dashers) - but I would never test that theory. I would never condemn a dog for doing what we humans have bred it to do.

It's all about management. We tell everyone who adopts a greyhound that they should never ever be trusted with any small furry outside where the chase drive can kick in. That's not something you can ever fully train out of a lot of dogs, especially breeds that have been bred for hundreds of years to chase and kill things that cross their sightline. You can work to manage it and diminish the drive, but it will never go away. Granted, having sighthounds, I probably would try to keep feral cats off the property just to minimize the risk, despite my firsts instinct to try to help them out.

If you wouldn't keep an animal that would kill things when left to its own devices, stay away from cats and most dogs = )

Thanks everyone. He seems fine and the the scratched do not look like a big deal. I did call the vet and they said just keep treating with the triple anti-cream and watch his eye for drainage. He will be going for shots this week.

Again, I HATE this happened! I would never blame him just myself. Again, he is never out loose and not around cats. This was a split second of bad timing.

I had almost the same thing happen.

I agreed to take in a foster dog that was well behaved with my inside cats and other dogs. I made a huge error in judgement and I trusted the foster too much. Said foster dog killed one of my cats, and I have had a huge amount of guilt and remorse since it happened last July. It was my job to set that dog up for success and make sure everyone was safe and I failed at that.

For the most part, friends and family said it wasn't my fault, but that didn't really help how I felt. My sister, who is not an animal lover, said she knew it would happen. Talk about kicking me when I am down.

Even though I have fostered a number of dogs and moved them on to happy new homes, I will no longer be a foster parent because of this. My heart isn't in it any more.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    I had almost the same thing happen.

I agreed to take in a foster dog that was well behaved with my inside cats and other dogs. I made a huge error in judgement and I trusted the foster too much. Said foster dog killed one of my cats, and I have had a huge amount of guilt and remorse since it happened last July. It was my job to set that dog up for success and make sure everyone was safe and I failed at that.

For the most part, friends and family said it wasn't my fault, but that didn't really help how I felt. My sister, who is not an animal lover, said she knew it would happen. Talk about kicking me when I am down.

Even though I have fostered a number of dogs and moved them on to happy new homes, I will no longer be a foster parent because of this. My heart isn't in it any more.
    I am so sorry HUGS! I Know how you feel.

I'd just say to keep your eye out-dogs like to put up strong face.

As a frequent volunteer worker in a local nature center, I can say that animals are strange with this. I'd absolutely say that the people talking about vet contact and possibly getting the shots a bit early is a good idea, depending on what the vet says.