The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pine chews for kitty?

I brought in some wood for the stove this morning, and one of the pieces had a sprig of pine needles on it. Pumpkin loved it, chewed it up. Pine needles? I mean I know catnip, but is pine a god winter catnip?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I'd expect puke to follow.

My folks' cat takes a yearly chew on the blue spruce Christmas tree and then gets reminded why it isn't a good idea to chew on the tree with a prompt up-chuck.

Olives, especially black olives (kalamata), have a similar ingredient to the pheromones cats spread around when they rub their faces on things. If they react to catnip, they generally have a similar reaction to olives. I cannot bring a black olive into my apartment or even cook with olive oil without one of my cats going ape like she does when I give her fresh catnip.

LOL! It's a good thing I have ceramic floors...and a dog . Good to know about the black olives. I'll give those a try.

Paula

Sounds like kitty wants greens. Sometimes they just want to eat plants.

You can buy the little containers of cat grass at Petco & similar places, or you can buy the little kits and grow your own. My cats appreciate "cat grass" in the winter time.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    You can buy the little containers of cat grass at Petco & similar places, or you can buy the little kits and grow your own. My cats appreciate "cat grass" in the winter time.
    I've never had success with this that hasn't wound up with a Jackson Pollock-like vomit painting on my floor. No matter the quantity I give -- one nibble, two, half a dozen, all end up the same way.

What's the trick to help them keep it down? I still have lots of cat grass seeds and wouldn't mind growing it for them if they didn't puke it up all the time.

Pine is really toxic to cats so I wouldn't give your kitty anymore. I did some research on this awhile back because I used to use Pine-Sol in my litter boxes, and the thought occurred to me I wasn't sure pine oil was safe for them, and it turns out that pine is really, really bad for kitties.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

No worries, it was just the one spring and that log has met its end in the wood stove.

Paula