The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default * I need Blanket & Body Clipper suggestions for a sensitive-skinned horse

My 3 y/o Pony is proving to have sensitive skin and be very finicky about things on his skin that are "foriegn" and in turn, has so far destroyed every blanket I've put on him.

In Northern Canada, we have fairly harsh winters and horse's in work often require to be clipped and blanketed. In January, i'll be doing this, but i'm struggling to find a blanket with a hood (just up to behind his ears) that is relatively affordable, comes in sz. 70" and is super, duper durable... It's also ideal that I can order it online. It doesn't necessarily have to come with the hood, but at least able to have one attached without issues.

So .. that leads me into my next question. In the past I've had a friend clip all my horse's for me with her clippers, but now I've decided i'd like to buy my own and just do it myself. I'm looking for a pair preferably under $250 - ish, that can handle body clipping (I generally just do a small Trace clip), and ideally be able to change the blades to clean up bridle paths and legs. In an ideal situation, the clippers will also be quiet, efficient on heavier, thicker coats and so on.

Suggestions?
    TIA
    Last edited by Tempi.Change; Dec. 14, 2012 at 02:42 AM.

I love my Amigo blankets, one of my ponies has had his for years with minimal repairs. My 3yr old also had a Saxon that lasted forever! I stopped buying him expensive blankets because he was destroying them and that cheap saxon lasted until I sold him, over 2yrs later

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for your input, Artie.

I'll look a little more into the Amigo and Saxon's. In the past when going the 'cheap' rout, I never had much luck.. but I'd rather have to buy a new 'cheap' blanket every single year, than a new expensive one!

Yeah I was really surprised that the Saxon lasted as long as it! I just ordered another one for the new pony through Chicks Saddlery; it was under $100 for the 1200D Saxon medium with the attached neck

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Yeah I was really surprised that the Saxon lasted as long as it! I just ordered another one for the new pony through Chicks Saddlery; it was under $100 for the 1200D Saxon medium with the attached neck
    Cr*p! lol, I just ordered an Amigo. Oh well. With the other things I ordered (body clippers, etc) I get 2 free turn out blankets, so if all else fails I'll have more spares!

Thanks

you need a polywarm as well if in at night they do light weight ones right through to heavy weight ones
    this is his pjs- but one can put a light wight one under an outdoor rug for extra warmth

i have 3 horses actually 3 and pony with sensitve skin
    they are out with both a polywarm and heavy weight rug,
    they are not clipped as they are warmbloods so coat is very fine and they are all compition horses

Quote Originally Posted by goeslikestink View Post
    you need a polywarm as well if in at night they do light weight ones right through to heavy weight ones
    this is his pjs- but one can put a light wight one under an outdoor rug for extra warmth

i have 3 horses actually 3 and pony with sensitve skin
    they are out with both a polywarm and heavy weight rug,
    they are not clipped as they are warmbloods so coat is very fine and they are all compition horses
    Thank you for your response He does not come inside at night, so I will be layering regardless and he will only be getting a small Bib or Apron clip, just enough to free up some hair on his chest and throat as come January I will be putting him back into work in preparation for show season. Our first show isn't until June, but he was only lightly backed in the fall and mostly trail ridden so we have a fair amount to accomplish before entering the Dressage ring.

I was mostly just looking for blankets of which come in large pony sizes and are known to be dependable because he will constantly itch and rub himself when wearing a blanket, though he's seemingly a little bit better with it this winter than last.