The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WEF Guide for Spectators

Hi all!

I'm heading to WEF for a few days in January as a spectator ( my time will come) more than likely for WEF 1 or 2.

Any preference between those two weeks? Do you tend to see a bigger turnout for either of them? Show grounds live only has WEF1 schedule available and the entries seem pretty bleak. Stupid question alert: is that the only way to register and no one has done it yet or something?

What should I know about parking? I'm assuming it will be a nightmare. Is it ok to bring a bike to get around? Is that even necessary?

Anything else I should know? TIA for the tips! Can't wait to go!

re: WEF guide
    I usually go 2 or 3x each winter to spectate and what I do is download the Prize list (it is huge, don't print!), review the 'tentative schedules' for each of my possible trips and plan based on the big events on the Schedule - which are now usually Sat night events, in the International Arena. a few weeks are supposed to have the highlight event on Sunday at The Stadium (grass field, formerly the Palm Beach Polo Grounds).
    http://www.equestriansport.com/esp/webhome.cfm
    parking - if you go for entire day, it has not been hard to find a spot and I don't think I paid if arriving early in day. Do recall paying to park if just coming in for the Sat pm event. Don't think a bike would be necessary - look at a google satellite view of the PBIEC and you'll see rings are all very close together.
    Re: showgrounds Live - most folks, even if there for the season, seem to enter week to week and not very early! I do look at Showgrounds Live once the week is underway to check entries and see where folks I know are riding.
    It is really fun and you will have a good time!

I always like to have a bike or golf cart, it's more convenient when you're really hungry and want to get food, or realize that you've left something across the grounds.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Default WEF spectator

clarifying - if I was Showing (not just watching) I would for sure have some sort of conveyance - bike, gc!
    but as a spectator, haven't seen the need.
    also adding, you do have to dig around the ESP site a bit to find helpful spectator info - always have been slightly frustrated by that.
    I plan to get out of NE for WEF week 3 and hopefully week 10 also!

1 members found this post helpful.

It's so funny, I was just starting to type up an Equestrian Visitors Guide for Wellington and West Palm Beach a week or so ago, but gave up because 1) I got busy, and 2) I started obsessing over Rocco's Tacos and couldn't concentrate on anything else.

Saturday January 12 is the Battle of the Sexes in the International ring. That's always a pretty good time.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    It's so funny, I was just starting to type up an Equestrian Visitors Guide for Wellington and West Palm Beach a week or so ago
    Ooooh! You should definitely finish it. Not much info for visitors on equestriansport.com. And by not much I mean practically zero.

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll try to make it for the battle of the sexes. I had fun watching that via usefnetwork last year.

Can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllEars View Post
    Ooooh! You should definitely finish it. Not much info for visitors on equestriansport.com. And by not much I mean practically zero.

Thanks for the advice, all! I'll try to make it for the battle of the sexes. I had fun watching that via usefnetwork last year.

Can't wait!!
    Maybe I will continue working on it! It's more of a guide to what there is to do OUTSIDE of the show.... But that could totally come in handy for a visitor, right? Especially for visitors who may or may not come with a slightly less horsey SO or something. Can you think of anything in particular that you'd like to see on it? I've got restaurant recommendations (hence, the Rocco's Tacos obsession), nightlife suggestions...what else? How to not drive like a tourist on I-95? LOL

Keep in touch about your plans!

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Maybe I will continue working on it! It's more of a guide to what there is to do OUTSIDE of the show.... But that could totally come in handy for a visitor, right? Especially for visitors who may or may not come with a slightly less horsey SO or something. Can you think of anything in particular that you'd like to see on it? I've got restaurant recommendations (hence, the Rocco's Tacos obsession), nightlife suggestions...what else? How to not drive like a tourist on I-95? LOL

Keep in touch about your plans!
    OMG you're reading my mind. All of the above. Hopefully my Mom (CRF-Lynn on here) will be going in January as well. We may make another trip towards the end of WEF too. We're major foodies, being in the restaurant business ourselves, and we always appreciate the local gems. I'd personally love nightlife suggestions. I'm 29 (as of today! ) and interested in fun places with good music/drinks and nice people. Not so much the places the show kids sneak into with their fake ID's (no offense. I was one of them many moons ago, minus the fake ID part- really, Mom. ) Any social events going on specifically related to the show that non competitors can go to as well?

Looking forward to the guide! I'm sure it will come in handy to a ton of people!

Honestly, the first week or 2 are very low on entries b/c there are so many weeks to show so everyone is still settling in and getting the horses fit to show. WCHR week and battle of the sexes are definitely some of the best times to go however they do have a grand prix every weekend so always something to see. As far as a bike, if you can bring one I would. It is a HUGE show grounds so getting from one place to the next in a timely manner is difficult on foot. The rings are close together, as mentioned, but there are over 12 rings so it's a large area.

Hey, anyone that needs help- feel free to PM me with your email addresses and I'll send you the schedule and will be happy to help if you have any questions

Off the top of my head- WEF 1 has Battle of the Sexes on that Saturday...
    Can look in the AM which Grand Prix is going on during WEF 2...
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

I was looking for a class schedule online for WEF and couldn't find one. Does anyone have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    I was looking for a class schedule online for WEF and couldn't find one. Does anyone have a link?
    Agreed about finding a daily class schedule...would also be interested in specifically the major events in the international ring, is there a list of those somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post

Schedule (for WEF 1) is available here: http://showgroundslive.com/esp/shows...ate/2013-01-09

Might be tentative and subject to change, but that's what I'm using to plan my time there. You may need an account to see it, not sure. I'm perpetually logged in, but accounts are free.

I put all the "interesting" Saturday events on my work calendar (it gets me through the long weeks). I've got the Battle of the Sexes on 1/12, FTI Charity Challenge on 1/26, Hunter Spectacular on 2/23, Nations Cup on 3/1, Puissance on 3/2, $150k FEI Prix on 3/3 (so OP, if you're thinking of coming down later in the season too, that would be a fun week - and I'll be jealous because I'll be out of town), and the $500k FTI Finale GP on 3/30.

ETA: There are prixs every Saturday in the International ring, these are just the events that I have on my calendar because I DEFINITELY want to go to them.

Quote Originally Posted by BaysofourLives View Post
    Honestly, the first week or 2 are very low on entries b/c there are so many weeks to show so everyone is still settling in and getting the horses fit to show.
    How low would you say low is? If it's like 1 or 2 entries on average per class, I'll probably stay home and go another week, since I can (and do) get that kind of low attendance here in AZ.

Battle of the Sexes looks like it's week 1 this year, which I'd really love to see, but again, if attendance is super low, I'll hold off.

I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but typically the first two weeks are the lightest, then numbers pick up around the third or fourth week and stay fairly consistent through February and March. The last week is often lighter, since many people make their housing and stall arrangements through the end of March and then go home.

Some of us can remember when WEF was much shorter than 12 weeks, and are still mentally geared up to start showing towards the end of January.

Quote Originally Posted by equestrian13 View Post
    Agreed about finding a daily class schedule...would also be interested in specifically the major events in the international ring, is there a list of those somewhere?
    http://www.equestriansport.com/
    click on the events/calendar button and you can see all the Sat events, they eventually add more as weeks get closer. Otherwise best option is to wade through the 100+ page prize list. particularly if you are interested in class schedules. that *seems* to be the best resource.

oh and this PDF summarizing the marquise events/classes
    http://www.equestriansport.com/esp/p...ocialHBWEB.pdf
    Last edited by saabski; Dec. 13, 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: add info

Oops, forgot to ask. What is the Gallery? A bar? Is it open to the public with regular hours or is it only for special events? Do you need tickets/reservations and the like? Just curious. Saw a picture somewhere at one point and thought I'd ask.

Don't worry about entries. Riders aren't entering now for a class in 3 weeks. Battle of Sexes is gimmicky. Try for the real grand prix. Night classes can be exciting and there will be 40+ in them. You will for sure see Kent Farrington, Laura Kraut, Reed Kessler, Beezie Madden, and McLain Ward competing -- and they're the best. I'd go 2nd week not first. Also, Gallery is bar, open to public and gets quite the crowd after the GP.

Default Re:guide to Wellington

A guide for WEF/Wellington would be awesome! Was down there to help set the barn up at the showgrounds and FL farm and its overwhelming. The grounds are vast, and you don't want to look like you don't know where you're going!! And there is 5 of every store/restaurant (except Isaac's which is one plus to living in much colder PA) you could possibly want all within 2.5 miles, but it can be hard to find things in some of the "malls". Would also be nice to have "insider info" on some of the places...