The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What is the life span of a bale if it is put out in an uncovered situation? In central PA we have been getting a decent amount of rain and snow already.

My round bales are generally around 600#. Your bales may last longer 'in the elements' than mine. I'm in GA where we can have hot and wet weather that will ruin hay in no time!
    Y'all ain't right!

I wish I could feed round bales. However, I have one horse that turns into a round bale. She will not leave them and stands there all day and probably all night eating. She even rests her head on them and sleeps there. The other two are ok with them, but not her. I still haven't gotten the weight off of her from her having two round bales this summer when I went away for a week and got the round bales to make it easy on my husband.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Several years ago we went on a ski trip during hay season, a place close enough we could drive. My Dad was going to be feeding, and would have to put out hay. In my effort to make that much easier for him, we got one of our round bales and drove it through the pasture, peeling off my normal sized sections allllllll over the pasture.

It ended up being very, very warm that week, and having left on Sunday, we were done by Wednesday and drove home Thursday.

ALL the hay was gone. Every single blade. This was 3 horses and a 700lb bale, gone in 4 days, almost 60lb/horse/day. I was It's a wonder they didn't explode.

So yeah, I know what you mean Cashela!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Several years ago we went on a ski trip during hay season, a place close enough we could drive. My Dad was going to be feeding, and would have to put out hay. In my effort to make that much easier for him, we got one of our round bales and drove it through the pasture, peeling off my normal sized sections allllllll over the pasture.

It ended up being very, very warm that week, and having left on Sunday, we were done by Wednesday and drove home Thursday.

ALL the hay was gone. Every single blade. This was 3 horses and a 700lb bale, gone in 4 days, almost 60lb/horse/day. I was It's a wonder they didn't explode.

So yeah, I know what you mean Cashela!
    I believe it! My gelding, especially, could eat 50lb/day++ of hay no problem. Last winter my two were eating 40lb/day each or more, and begging for more. This year I am not falling for the "I'm starving" face!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    WOW, I am jealous! Twice this fall I've put a round bale out in pasture, only to have it gobbled by one horse in 12 days!
    Is yours netted? Mine is in a Cinch Chix small mesh net. This is my third year feeding this way, and I do think my average is correct -- about 4 round bales a year.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    Is yours netted? Mine is in a Cinch Chix small mesh net. This is my third year feeding this way, and I do think my average is correct -- about 4 round bales a year.
    4 round bales a year? How many horses do you feed on one bale?

I have been reading this thread with interest as I am gearing up to go and buy myself some round bales. I would love to spend $500 a year on hay! (Mine are 4x6 1100 pound bales. $140 a piece)

I only have two and I have looked into the slow bale buddy and the hocky net style of creating a slow feed net. So I am very interested in how many you have on one bale and how much your bales weigh.

No, they weren't. I am now storing the round bale in a shed and hauling out large Hefty Cinch-Saks stuffed with hay. I can get 15+ lbs of hay in one of those!

Most of my critters get round bales. I have one group of three that can demolish a 900# bale in 6 or 7 days. Two groups of two take 2-3 weeks to finish theirs. My biggest bunch of 5 are also in the big pasture( about 10 acres) so they typically find something to graze on most of the year- we'll put out two bales at a time for them- sometimes they'll last a month, other times just a couple of weeks, depends on the weather.

We don't cover or feed them in feeders, just drop them on the ground. We just but a new bale on top of old bale remnants- it keeps the mess in one area and actually provides a nice hay pack area that's dry- I often see the horses snoozing next to the hay. In the spring we'll push the mess into a washout or other low area with the tractor.

Right now we're feeding rounds in the barn- what a PITA! Due to weather and our work schedules, we weren't able to put up enough squares, but we have plenty of round bales. We're just using squares now for when we both have to work in the AM and need to feed quickly. Been toying with the idea of re-baling, but it doesn't sound like fun...

I have two Duplessis hay huts for five thoroughbred mares ranging in age from five to 22. They live out 24/7, and get fed a beet pulp and vit/min supplement mix twice per day. The two 600# bales last about eight days right now. We don't have any snow cover as of yet, and they have a seven acre pasture to roam, so don't really spend all their time at the feeder.

When the weather gets colder, I will use two bales every five to six days. Even then, they don't spend all their time with their heads buried in the bale. They like to roam. and that is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    No, they weren't. I am now storing the round bale in a shed and hauling out large Hefty Cinch-Saks stuffed with hay. I can get 15+ lbs of hay in one of those!
    Save yourself some work! Buy an el cheapo blue tarp 4X8ish (last one i got was 1.50 at the dollar store) and rig a rope (dollar store again) handle through the outside grommets on one short end and load it up and drag it like a sled. If you have to go through doorways, you can bungee the whole shebang into a fat blue hay sausage with little trouble. Properly piled and bundled with short bungees or a length of rope, you can easily move 60-80 pounds or more on snow or grass, less on dirt and/or mud.

Currently waiting for my next installment of hay - 6 more at 1500 pounds, should do the winter and thn some.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Shine, I love your round bale setup!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by KSquared View Post
    4 round bales a year? How many horses do you feed on one bale?

To recap, I have one horse and one miniature donkey on round bales in a small-mesh Cinch Chix round bale net. The hay is under a roof and off the ground. The horses have access to it 24/7. I go through about 4 round bales a year, with virtually no waste. I'm sorry, I have no clue how big the bales are. It varies. I have very little, very poor, over-grazed grass, and the hay is often very poor quality as well. I also feed a ration balancer, and both equines are FAT!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Shine, I love your round bale setup!
    Thank you. Primitive but it works!

To recap, I have one horse and one miniature donkey on round bales in a small-mesh Cinch Chix round bale net. The hay is under a roof and off the ground. The horses have access to it 24/7. I go through about 4 round bales a year, with virtually no waste. I'm sorry, I have no clue how big the bales are. It varies. I have very little, very poor, over-grazed grass, and the hay is often very poor quality as well. I also feed a ration balancer, and both equines are FAT!

Thanks. I am planning on giving mine some senior feed mash and some beet pulp at night and getting a round bale into the pasture. The ones I get are 1100 pounds. I am SO hoping they will last the two of them at least a month, it would really be nice. (Sorry if I missed how many horses were on it.)