The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cavalia - anyone been/seen this show?

Just noticed this show is going to be in Brisbane and Sydney next year when I will be in those cities (work and airlines willing ) and wondered if it might be worth going to see.

Reviews in the promo blurb talk about "celebrating horses, humans and their bond" and "horseplay of the highest order".

Part of me thinks I may end up cringing through it so if you've been or have any comments speak up please
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I went and I enjoyed it. I thought it was well worth the money. I don't know what the show looks like now, but when I went I was impressed with some of the liberty and vaulting acts. The dressage was more or less "meh" but the other stuff was awesome. The roman riders and trick riders were fabulous too. I say go!

Hey, I was taken to go see it by some non horsey friends. I did cringe a bit and it was a bit cheesy. I'd rather spend money to go see a great grand prix. The show is very acrobatic and is more people-impressive than horse-impressive. Although my friends thought it was the most amazing thing they had ever seen! The same friends took me to see Cirque Du Solei (spoiled I know) and it absolutely took my breath away. I would personally say save your money and go see either Cirque or go to a larger horse show if you want to do something horsey.

My mom and I went here in Seattle and had a good time. The trick riding is super fun, acrobatics were beautiful. As a dressage rider I had to suspend my inner critic because the dressage work is definitely on the trick side, not very correct. If you go with the idea in mind that it's art and a show you should have a fabulous time. I've heard the previous show was better but I had no comparison because I missed them the last time through, we had a great time though

2 members found this post helpful.

Great comments, thanks folks

Papyruse, I went to Cirque's Seasons many years ago and really enjoyed it.

Umming and ahhing...
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Twice. Go.

I wasn't super impressed with it. I was in awe of the human acrobatics but the horse acts were just so-so for me... Also, the seating was super cramped and uncomfortable. I guess it really depends what your expectations are.
    I have been spoiled by amazing shows in France (Les Crinieres D'or) which were definitely much higher quality.
    On a related note, did anyone catch American Dad on Sunday? They were headed to Cavalia
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've seen it twice. Once in Burbank a few years ago, once just last month in San Diego. It's great! We didn't do the VIP thing or anything, but the seats are always good, no matter where you are.

If you do a search here, you will find other threads on this topic which you may find helpful. I have not been, but friends of mine have and they seemed to enjoy it. Some people I used to board with adopted a retired Cavalia horse the last time the show was in this area. The horse is beautiful and very well trained!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I've been twice. I enjoyed it but I agree you have to shut down your inner critiquing when it comes to the dressage lol. But beautiful horses and so well trained. Also to put 25 stallions on stage at once and free lunging etc and no craziness I have to give them props for the training that goes into these horses. you can see the herd dominance on occasion and the acrobatics are awesome. Standing on 2 horses back in a 4 horse line and jumping them all while your standing and driving. Well more than I could do.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I've seen it and reviews were mixed amongst us seasoned horse people.
    We had good seats but did not go back into the stall area as we are in stalls every day. Looking behind and up into the audience all we could see were rapt expressions, but they were city folks and awed.

In our party we had a couple who were on the blase side, with critical tendencies in life generally, and they voiced them. But if you just love to go see beautiful horses and don't look for picky detail, just enjoy it for itself, do go.

It is rather expensive for my pocket book, but I really think I would have regretted it if I had not gone and would have forever asked myself if I had missed anything.

The horses are well taken care of and allowed to act like horses, and having all those stallions is remarkable. It must be a tough life with all that travel.

BTW, it is not connected to Cirque de Soleile, which seemed to be an ipression some people got.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Default Cavalia

I agree with the general consensus - it was fun and some parts were impressive, but as a horse person I had to bite my tounge a bit. But I am glad I went, mostly because of all the hype I had to see it to form my own opinion. But that said, I'm also glad I didn't splurge on the $200 VIP tickets. (I believe we spend $90,...I should have spent $40,... All the seat are basically the same)

The whole time I kept thinking "some wannabe is gonna go home and try that and get themselves killed". Happily I didn't hear anything on the news in the following months!

Also I do love that they rescue horses and use also. They rescued 2 when they were here and had the babies out at the beginning of the show. That was almost 4 years ago. They come every 2 years here. So a year ago we went and asked the director of the show about them and he said they will be in the show the next time they come here because they are in training and learning because they do not rush the horses with trainer. I thought that was great, so I don't mind supporting them.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole