The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks, Oliver. I've worked a lot of jobs in my life, but I have to tell you that I think that doing home health/hospice work was the most rewarding work I've ever done. It's a danged shame that people get paid so little to do it because with only one exception, every person I worked with was utterly dedicated to doing right by these folks and did a danged good job. It's hard work.

It's not unlike caring for our elderly critters, either. Often, the people, just like our pets, can't verbalize their needs or worries. We have to super sleuth and use spidey senses.

Ultimately, they just want to feel safe and comfortable but it can take a lot of effort to figure out what that means for each individual.

I could tell many stories and most could probably tie back to critters if you try hard enough. But the music and the ice cubes...that one just sticks out to me. The Thanksgiving dinner and my pants-less client is a close second. He actually got out of bed, put on pants, and danced with me in the kitchen when I made him Thanksgiving dinner. Unfortunately, he started improving so much that his family decided to stop service. Within a week, he had wandered out in the middle of winter to go to the post office, got lost, and froze to death. No pants. Sigh.

That's why we have to be vigilant. For our people, our pets. We just have to stay on top of things and try to figure out how we can make them comfortable and safe. Sometimes, those things feel at odds. But if we're creative, we can usually find a way.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks y'all!

BuddyRoo - I had the same thought last week and left the TV on TNT...a lot of times I just tune into that if I'm working at home for white noise. We've got some home reno going on but the contractor and his crew are all family friends so Emmett knows them and gets excited when they arrive. I can't imagine how stressful it would be if he didn't know them. Either way, they are usually done by 4pm so they aren't here at "sundown" time.

Emmett's labs all came back GREAT so he's scheduled for surgery on Tuesday for the cancer factory stuff...and he's having his teeth cleaned.

BuddyRoo - I think you should consider yet another job and offer pet care services specializing in in-home consultations for the various things I see you post on here about - kitty going out of the box, confused canines....

1 members found this post helpful.

Some of my friends thought I could run an elderly animal hospice too, Buddyroo.

I told them I'm going to be doing that with all of my own, including hens.

Finzean, I leave the TV or radio on for my non-dementia dogs because I think it soothes them. They don't notice every bump or creak in the new house or the small outside noises. They definitely seem more relaxed when I get home if I've left something on. You're probably on the right track!

I wish I had something more helpful for you. I suspect I will be in your shoes sooner rather than later.

Good luck with Emmett. He is lucky to have you!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...