The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitty Warfare

Our neighbors just moved to Hawaii, and they didn't want to take their cat and put him through the quarantine, etc. I took him, and he's wonderful. I have him all set up in our computer/guest room (it's a very large area), and have the door blocked off with a big dog grate so that he can see/sniff the other cat and dog, without having to actually be with them. At night, I open the grate and he comes out to explore while I watch TV. He gets along fine with the dog, and he would get along well with our other kitty, except she hates him.

She's an older tabby, and she's been an only cat for about two years since we had to put her brother down. They stare at each other through the grate with no hissing or fighting, but if I let her down while he's out, she immediately chases him down and lights into him. He just runs away, which doesn't help.

The short term solution has been to hold her and lavish pets on her while he explores, but how long should I keep them separated? Is this something that she'll eventually get over, or should I let them fight it out? That seems harsh, since the new guy seems to have no interest in standing up for himself. I don't mind keeping them separate for quite a while if that would help, just not sure what to expect.
    "One thing vampire children have to be taught early is, don't run with a wooden stake."

I ended up with a new male stray this summer, and my (much, much bigger) female was terrified of him. They've finally reached the point where they can lie on the bed together with me in between them, but it's taken four months! The worst part is that my new cat isn't really even aggressive toward her, just obnoxiously friendly. It's hard because you want to be like, "Just smack him! If you smack him he'll leave you alone!" But all you can do is watch while the 9 pound cat with the fluffy mouse in his mouth chases the 15 pounder across the room and through the screen door.

So yes, it might work out but it will take a while.

I ended up with a new male stray this summer, and my (much, much bigger) female was terrified of him. They've finally reached the point where they can lie on the bed together with me in between them, but it's taken four months! The worst part is that my new cat isn't really even aggressive toward her, just obnoxiously friendly. It's hard because you want to be like, "Just smack him! If you smack him he'll leave you alone!" But all you can do is watch while the 9 pound cat with the fluffy mouse in his mouth chases the 15 pounder across the room and through the screen door.

So yes, it might work out but it will take a while.

I have a friend who fosters a lot of young cats and kittens, and also has two permanent residents. She uses food as the gateway to EVERYTHING. To get everyone to co-exist, she feeds them all together, usually starting in the same room, but far, far apart, and gradually bringing them closer and closer. She also lavishes whoever is the difficult personality with lots of pets and rubs.

She's got an impressive success rate at getting new groups of kitties to get along. Might be worth a shot!

Food may be the answer. I will certainly give it a try!

It is a little hard because I know if he'd just stand his ground, she wouldn't abuse him, but I guess he never had the chance to interact much with other creatures, so it may just take time.