The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default Cancara holsteiner stallion and his progeny

    Hello,

    I am looking at a 3 year old mare by Cancara. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on this holsteiner stallion and his progeny. Which are his good traits and his negative traits. Any interesting progeny out there?

    This is the mare I am looking at: http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?d=o...ar=&birthland=


    Any comments will be much appreciated.
    Thanks



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 9, 2008
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    All due respect, but why are you only asking about the sire? What do you know about the mare? I have seen good Cancara's and I have seen some bad ones. He is a Holsteiner Stallion that has recently been imported to America, and was bred to a SF mare registered la Silla. For what I know about Cancara, I couldn't tell you anything about this filly. I don't know anything about the mare. I don't think anyone can tell you anything about this horse based on its pedigree. I would suggest you find out more about her mare...that would tell you more then knowing about Cancara.

    Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    All due respect, but why are you only asking about the sire? What do you know about the mare? I have seen good Cancara's and I have seen some bad ones. He is a Holsteiner Stallion that has recently been imported to America, and was bred to a SF mare registered la Silla. For what I know about Cancara, I couldn't tell you anything about this filly. I don't know anything about the mare. I don't think anyone can tell you anything about this horse based on its pedigree. I would suggest you find out more about her mare...that would tell you more then knowing about Cancara.

    Tim
    I did not ask about Ouganda La Silla because I know the mare. Ouganda is currently competing with Antonia Andersson in 1.45 classes, Antonia is a young rider from de Bengtsson -
    Kristoffersen team. As an active competition horse, Ouganda is one of the top breeding mares of La Silla via embryo transfer.

    http://www.stall-bengtsson-kristoffe...ur-students/39
    http://www.hipicolasilla.com/article/Article/216

    I was this weekend in La Silla visiting my Casall stallion and noticed the filly and felt interested, but the stud manager said that Cancara was just recently used by them and that he is a young stallion. I was curious to find out more and wanted some insight.

    Sorry for asking.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 9, 2008
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    No, please don't be sorry. I read your question as someone who was just paper shopping. I appologize.

    Cancara has a great pedigree, but some can be heavy. I would make sure the filly doesn't move out behind too much. Being out of a SF mare might bring the needed blood this stallion requires.

    Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 7, 2010
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    No, please don't be sorry. I read your question as someone who was just paper shopping. I appologize.

    Cancara has a great pedigree, but some can be heavy. I would make sure the filly doesn't move out behind too much. Being out of a SF mare might bring the needed blood this stallion requires.

    Tim
    No problem.
    The filly is 3 years old and has not been backed so I saw her moving in liberty. She seemed very light and has a lovely trot.

    Do you know anything about Cancara in terms of temperament and what he brings to breeding?

    Ouganda just won the European Youngster Cup Final with Antonia who is only 19, so we are talking about a smart, uncomplicated mare with great jump.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 22, 2005
    Posts
    2,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by is_V View Post
    No problem.
    The filly is 3 years old and has not been backed so I saw her moving in liberty. She seemed very light and has a lovely trot.

    Do you know anything about Cancara in terms of temperament and what he brings to breeding?

    Ouganda just won the European Youngster Cup Final with Antonia who is only 19, so we are talking about a smart, uncomplicated mare with great jump.
    Cancara is very clear in the mind and has good rideability. He is influenced from his father Cassini I. He should have a mare that is good moving behind and that has quick reflexes.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 22, 2008
    Location
    Paris (France)
    Posts
    754

    Default

    I can't speak of Cancara but the mare line of the filly is one of the great SF family (Quidam de Revel)
    Alfonso Romo is a very knowledgeable breeder.
    If you like the filly do not hesitate, mare line is the most important element, much more than the stallion.
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803


    2 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I think Cancara would fit really well to this motherline, with the blood of the SF breeding.
    His breeding index from Holstein is 122 which is above average. Larimar has 124 with way more offspring (both 5 years active in breeding)

    http://www.lksh.de/fileadmin/dokumen...ngste_2012.pdf

    Wow the mares grandmother is halfsister to Quidam! Very interesting!



Similar Threads

  1. Hunter stallion with over fence records for progeny
    By NOMIOMI1 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jan. 25, 2012, 12:53 PM
  2. The stallion Urgent Request- his progeny?
    By RoundTheBend in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan. 6, 2012, 04:25 PM
  3. Stallion progeny
    By tradewind in forum Racing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar. 5, 2011, 03:16 PM
  4. Info on holsteiner stallion Cancara
    By alison123 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 13, 2009, 08:07 AM
  5. Stallion progeny - colts vs. fillies
    By Dressage (Pea)Nut in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan. 20, 2009, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •