The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best feed for an 8 month old WB????

Any recommendations for commercial bag feed for fast growing WB filly? She is large at 14 hds, not quite 8 months and I haven't had to feed a baby this young in years! Good quality Orchard hay is being fed at liberty along with 24 hr turnout. No additional supplements!

Assuming pastures are dormant until Spring, what is a good, all-inclusive feed for fast growing weanlings and yearlings? Also, whats the best percentages of protein and other nutrients? There are different theories out there!

Thanks!

Right now - I like, and my 7 month old filly loves Triple Crown Growth.

At the breeder's recommendations and seconded by my vet, my 8 month old WB is on Grow N Win along with all the good quality hay he can eat.

1 members found this post helpful.

My best suggestion is to speak with the breeder/seller. They will be able to educate you as to why they have been feeding their particular brand/line of feed as well as the quantities. Perhaps they can also suggest a schedule for the future feeding needs...

GOOD HAY, some more good hay, and little bit of good hay. No more then a 1Lbs. of Triple crown Growth or Senoir. Foal should be very thin until 2. Don't try to make the ribs go away, they are supposed to look that way.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    My best suggestion is to speak with the breeder/seller. They will be able to educate you as to why they have been feeding their particular brand/line of feed as well as the quantities. Perhaps they can also suggest a schedule for the future feeding needs...
    IMHO, this is a great suggestion, I will add that my last foal, an appendix, was growing FAST!, I cut her bag feed (blue seal mare n foal) to 1/2 what the bag listed, in an attempt to slow her down. I did go over this idea with my vet, who agreed it was a smart idea. Filly is now 2 1/2, and stands just over 16.1 (and a half, but who's counting really LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    GOOD HAY, some more good hay, and little bit of good hay. No more then a 1Lbs. of Triple crown Growth or Senoir. Foal should be very thin until 2. Don't try to make the ribs go away, they are supposed to look that way.

Tim
    That's what I would do.

I'm not sure what area you live in, but if you have access to Seminole Feed, I highly recommend the Wellness Grow Right. It's low in starch and only 5% fat, which won't pack on the pounds. I used it for years with great success and only switched to the TC Growth (or even the Senior, they're virtually identical) if I had a baby that needed a little extra "oomph", as the Growth/Senior is 10% fat. Good luck!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Good hay, then a ration balancer if significant calories aren't needed, otherwise TC Growth or some other similar *low starch* Growth (or Sr!) feed if more calories are needed.

Pretty much any RB will do- it mostly becomes a matter of cost and taste and availability.

Ronda will know and be your surest source!

As time permits, you may wish to have a nutritional analysis of your hay done and adjust RB and minerals accordingly.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

I feed the Seminole Wellness products. Very pleased with the feed. It's a 12% protein, 10% fat and 18% fiber. The babies get about 1/2 a scoop and free choice hay.

I sent some home with Lexie, but I don't think Seminole is available where she lives.

Ditto JB. I have fed ration balancers since 1999 with great results.

Hi Ronda!

I think I'll get the Triple Crown growth....Heading to the feedstore now. My orchard hay is gorgeous and she's getting as much as she will eat. I'm pretty sure there is NO Seminole near me as the one store that sold it went out of business and I'm not driving across the county for feed! Triple Crown is good stuff too. I will compare the bags....Seems like the mineral ratios seems to be the most important part.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post

Tim
    1lb?! That is it?! Even ration balancers suggest more than that. I think my little girl would have been definitely under-nutritioned and looking like a rescue horse if I only gave her that much. Yes, I completely agree they should not be overweight by any means because it is not good for their growing joints but limiting it to 1lb seems extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by gabby.gator View Post
    IMHO, this is a great suggestion, I will add that my last foal, an appendix, was growing FAST!, I cut her bag feed (blue seal mare n foal) to 1/2 what the bag listed, in an attempt to slow her down. I did go over this idea with my vet, who agreed it was a smart idea. Filly is now 2 1/2, and stands just over 16.1 (and a half, but who's counting really LOL)
    Again, not sure I understand the logic here.. My girl was also growing extremely fast but I don't think anyone ever suggested to cut her feed to slow down her growth. So you limit their nutrients so they don't have enough to grow? It seems like this would cause more problems than its worth.

I am always interested in learning more about proper nutrition for a growing horse. So I would be interested in understanding the science behind these two approaches.

If the foal is eating less than the minimum recommended amount of the Growth, TC 30 (a ration balancer) or noe of the other ration balancers (Progressive, Buckeye, etc make them) is a better choice. While I agree with Tim that you never want a foal to be heavy, they need adequate protein, minerals and vitamins for correct growth. If they do not need the calories provided in a minimum amount of a "foal feed," a more concentrated formula like a ration balancer fulfills their needs, while not adding extra calories.

2 members found this post helpful.

Triple Crown Growth--- Supplement with the TC 30% if she isn't getting the full recommended amount.

From my equine nutritionist, Purina Enrich 32 (ration balancer), but I'm sure all the RB would work. But yes, you have to feed the recommended amount for the proper nutrients.

When you have enough good hay, you only need 1Lb a day of grain a day. The problem is what people call good hay. I am talking 2nd cut, green orchard grass, and usually mixed with alfalfa. Keep in mind, my foals have plenty of grass up until November. So the grain is just supplemental.

Tim
    www.sparlingrock.com

Also, keep in mind that the type of grass and the cutting don't dictate whether a given cutting of any hay is good enough to eliminate or reduce the amount of a fortified grain or RB to feed

What matters most is the condition of the soil first. 2nd cutting can be green and pretty and smell great, and be lacking in things that matter more to the horse than the to the hay.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Also, keep in mind that the type of grass and the cutting don't dictate whether a given cutting of any hay is good enough to eliminate or reduce the amount of a fortified grain or RB to feed

What matters most is the condition of the soil first. 2nd cutting can be green and pretty and smell great, and be lacking in things that matter more to the horse than the to the hay.
    You are absolutely correct, but the second cut is not diluted with seed pod stems that is just ruffage. When grass goes to seed, all of the nutrients are built into the seed and not the blades of grass. A bale of 1st cut has a fraction of the protein and sugars then a bale of 2nd cut PER POUND. You don't see horses getting hay bellies on 2nd cut, just 1st cut. I buy my hay from either Dairy Farmers or pure hay Farmers. They fertilize and lime every year. I also want to stress that the the foals are on good pasture till about Nov.

Tim
    Last edited by RyTimMick; Dec. 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
    www.sparlingrock.com