The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I will check out Chaleon for sure. He looks lovely.

Jazz for a hunter - no, no,no
    Apiro throws huge! Will not downsize or refine at all, I used him on a small TB mare and the result is the largest colt in the paddock (larger than the full WB jumper babies)
    Chaleon will absolutely downsize, but make sure your mare is not upright in the feet
    Caracci is another great suggestion
    Happy Stallion Searching!!!

Is Jupiter still accessible (https://profiles.google.com/JupiterStallion/about) ?? He's small and well proven as both a hunter and a hunter sire.

I also like Chaleon and A Fine Romance for your purposes, but think Jupiter has the edge if you want small in addition to refinement and hunter type.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ha ha, definitely not Apiro. My two year old by Apiro out of a 15.2 mare is over 16 hands and has more bone that any adult horse on the farm.

What about Banderas? Not too tall, nice jump, my colt by him is very refined.

Jupiter, Chaleon, Escudo II, Shine

I like the Escudo II suggestion for a potential hunter.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had a 17.3 hand Carolus I mare, and a 17.2 hand Cambridge mare. I bred them both to Quinar and got modern, typey, beautiful foals. The older one will finish around 16.2 I think. The younger is only a yearling, so it is hard to say. But she is much more modern than her dam. Quinar recently died, but there is frozen available.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

Is Shine still around?
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Your mare is G-line. An A Fine Romance tb mare has nicked really well with a G-line stallion producing a horse who did hunters and then moved on to dressage, competing dressage in the last Pan Am Games.

I actually have my 16h AFR tb mare in foal to Carracci. I consider him to also have the looks, size, temperment, gallop, jump and show record that I want in a hunter.

I also think both studs would help your mare in the soundness department because of their tb blood. 100% tb for AFR, 50% for Carracci.
    Last edited by Renascence; Dec. 13, 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: had mixed up the Pan Am Games horse lineage, its late

1 members found this post helpful.

I like the idea of Quinar with this mare, would definitely check him out.

I have two mares by Grand Canyon that have been bred to Sea Accounts. The oldest is 7 and has done 3'5" hunters with multiple Ch. and Res., Hunter Derbies and started in the jumpers this year...finishing the year doing 3'9" Amateur Jumper Classics.

I really like the G-line mares crossed on Sea Accounts and they were recommended to me as a good nick by one of the registry breeding directors.

Good luck in your decision making and Ms. Mare's rehab.

P.S. I like Apiro. In fact, we bred Sea Accounts' dam to him and have a 3 y.o. gelding. He's a big boy! The trainer jokes about his "great dane" feet and that's very appropriate...I kinda hope he doesn't grow all the way into them!!!!! He is a LOVELY hunter type though!
    Last edited by cyriz's mom; Dec. 13, 2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: additional comment
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

It isnt the Rio G that gave your mare the weaknesses- Ramiro lines have competed internationally for ever. Maybe she has a comformation pre-disposition to a weakness there? or bad footing, deep etc? I know a barn in Mass where 6 horses got suspensory injuries and it doesnt take a genius to figure out that is no coincidence, turned out the footing was deep and sucky.
    but I digress.
    For a hunter, I would think to refine, with the pedigree of your mare. A good TB or half TB maybe? Dont go Pure blood Hanno or Holsteiner, you are allready in a pedigree with lots of solid old blood.
    Healthy Chocolate lets me live the lifestyle I want in order to enjoy the horses I love.

http://www.xocaichocolatehealth.com
    http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    She has had two ligament injuries in the past 18 months in two different feet. I rehabbed her after the first one and the second one is career ending. She is a Rio Grande mare. I don't think I would breed to that line again. Her dam is the soundest horse on the planet.
    The R line I meant was through Rubinstein I, via someone like Rotspon vs R line to Ramiro.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by nsm View Post
    Another vote for A Fine Romance, I think he would do a great job of refining, he is a terrific stallion-
    Nancy

Thank you Nancy for the very kind comments about A Fine Romance.
    And thank you also to Samotis and Renascence for suggesting him.

A Fine Romance is certainly proven as per the OP's request,both in the hunter ring himself,competing very successfully in the Combined Working Hunters, and as a sire of top class, athletic individuals, a number of whom are Hunters.

Here is one of my homebreds competing as a Children's Hunter. In his first year of showing in the hunter ring he qualified for the Royal Winter Fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nIiLrXGs2s

While AFR would also certainly bring refinement, I can NOT say that he would reduce height significantly.
    He himself is a tall horse, and while he does not always sire 'huge' - out of a big mare like this, I could not guarantee that you would not get an equally tall foal.
    He has been bred to some Rio mares, and while the offspring are lovely, they are not small.
    Best of luck to the OP with your lovely mare.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Shine and Jupiter have very proven show records and tend to throw smaller.

My Sir Wanabi is very refined. Like AFR, Sir Wanabi's a tall horse but not "huge".