The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stallion Suggestions for Very Large WB Mare

I am probably going to breed my now retired 6 year old WB mare. She is VERY big, over 17 hands, very long legged but also big bodied. I definitely need to refine her and want something smaller if that is possible. Her dam is 15'3. Want a hunter type baby. My mare is a hunter and has a great brain, a great jump, is pretty, just big.

Suggestions??? Not wanting to roll the dice here either on something unproven. If I could clone my mare and make her 16 she would be perfect.

I should add that the damline is G line Hanoverian (her mother was an excellent show hunter who was bred to be a dressage horse). The very best brain you could ever find in both mares. That was certainly passed down.

Donarweiss?

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, I have a 17.2 hand Carolus I mare that I put to Carracci with the exact same goal you are striving for in terms of refining and downsizing. I breed jumpers but he absolutely could of gone the hunter and derby route. His rider was a junior so USEF rules nixed that. He's a lovely stallion with progeny doing very well in EU. His owner will be bringing some of their offspring by him to Florida this winter to get their show careers started.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in the same situation with my 17.2hh Swedish Warmblood mare.
    I went with Dauphin.
    Proven, on the small side and generally not knows to add height.

My other choice was Goodtime, knows to produce smaller (as per his stat with the KWPN).
    VĂ©ronique
    www.FormosusSporthorses.ca
    Like us on Facebook

Dauphin appears to be a dressage horse. Not looking for that type of bloodline but rather something that is a proven hunter sire. I already have plenty of dressage blood in the G line Hanoverian side from the mare's dam.

My first thoughts are to visit the Rainbow Equus website, Pablo & Escudo II are both refining stallions & I don't think they are known for adding size.

Based on your other posts about this mare - do you think she is going to be able to stay comfortable enough to carry a foal to term & all of the other "motherly" duties?

Carrying the foal would add more weight & stress onto her legs, and from your descriptions of her, I got the impression that she is quite lame at times.

Just something to think about before you invest your time & money getting her in foal. Are you breeding for yourself or to sell the foal?

I won't breed if her she can't physically carry the baby and I am not breeding to resell. Just would like one baby out of her and this mare really wants a job. The vet seemed to think it would work long term but you never know and the horse will always come first. Not to worry about that. The sad part is that she is the real thing, what we all hope and want to get in a great hunter. And how hard are they to find? That is why if I can get a baby I will at least try as long as she is willing and able.

I am hoping that it will all work out and while she is recovering I am doing my research and keeping my fingers crossed.

Horses that have been mentioned to me include Apiro, Sir Wanabi, Jazz and Goodtimes....

Jazz?! . . .

If you want to refine then I would go for Chaleon. He has great breeding ( Calido and Calletto) and is himself very refined and a beautiful horse.

Not to mention a beautiful head and neck, great canter and jumper. He has many horses showing in the hunters and he himself has done both jumpers and derbies with an amateur.

I love him and unfortunatly I have the opposite problem! I have a 15.3 petite tb mare that needs substance!

Contact Matt Davis atnCrooked Willow farm, he has a great eye with horses and breeding/pedigrees. He would be able to tell you if it would be a good match.

If I think of refining hunter sire, Chaleon is who I think of.

Also, maybe A Fine Romance, since he is a TB and might refine your WB mare. He has also produced some great babies!

I wouldn't think Apiro would refine.

3 members found this post helpful.

Cabardino?
    Quinnten

From our group I may suggest Dakota VDL, Vegas, and Orbetello.

These three do very well with larger framed mares. Dakota has also superb technique for hunter prospects.

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Another vote for a Fine Romance, I think he would do a great job of refining, he is a terrific stallion-
    Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    I wouldn't think Apiro would refine.

Apiro would not refine, this is absolutely the oposite to how he breeds.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

I second Chaleon...plus Matt is the best

Are you open to frozen or do you want to stay fresh?
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Just curious, but I'm wondering why she is retired at 6 years old? Although the "R" lines are known for their dressage, I've heard (no experience personally) that they make good hunters and don't throw large-ness.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

She has had two ligament injuries in the past 18 months in two different feet. I rehabbed her after the first one and the second one is career ending. She is a Rio Grande mare. I don't think I would breed to that line again. Her dam is the soundest horse on the planet.