The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default woody stems/canes in pasture

What is the best way to get rid of these? Will goats eat woody stems?

this is very established pasture with tons of thick nice grass, but also sections of this woody stuff. I'm not sure what it is but may be from brambles.

I'm seeking the advice of the extension agent on Monday. TIA

When I first reclaimed my pasture, I had woody stems from raspberry bushes that were 6'+. My stems were about the size of a quarter in diameter and maybe 2-3 inches high. And unfortunately, I have no suggestion other than time. When I asked on this forum, pigs came up a bunch. I never went that route and really, after about 6 months, 90% of them were gone or decayed enough that I could just pull them up. I still have a couple that refuse to die, but not enough to enduce me to action.

good luck!

Can you mow them with a brush hog? Just shortening the canes helps, though it will leave some spiky stubble if they are old canes. Probably wouldn't bother the horses hooves, if they are raspberries.

Woody canes/sprouts of new growth would be more solid and a BAD IDEA to mow, unless you immediately go back to cut the spikes down to the ground. Those would be Punji Sticks like they spike Tigers on in dug out traps. BAD for horse hooves!! I cut my woody growth with hand pruners, so I get them to the ground level on one visit. I can't pull the roots up anyway, so I just ground level off any kind of growth from those roots to prevent hoof problems. With a big patch of growth, it takes a while to get them all out. Honeysuckle is my worst woody growth plant and can't be ignored. It will double or triple in size over one season, so I cut it fast when anything shows it's leaves. Spraying probably won't work well, unless you can spray first thing in Spring when new leaves are out on Honeysuckle. Leaves get a waxy coating pretty quick, so spray won't stick or penetrate to kill the shrub if you are spraying later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    I cut my woody growth with hand pruners, so I get them to the ground level on one visit.
    I am concerned this is what I will need to do. I bought a heavy duty lopper. Ugh - that's a lot of back breaking work. I'm hoping the extension agent has a good idea.

I have no suggestions, but our new property's pasture was previously overgrown and has tons of them in areas. They were bush-hogged down to 1"-2", I'm hoping they don't re-sprout in the spring...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO