The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Back arthritis versus kissing spine, different symptoms?

My horse (14 year old TB) has a hot spot at T18 (area under back of saddle), diagnosed as mild kissing spine by bone scan. Yesterday, vet did ultrasound of back and also found arthritis on left side in joint at T18 and some in L1 joint.

Horse is wonderful packer type, and I would love to make him comfortable. What led me to investigate his back so closely is that he is extremely girthy. To me, his reaction seems more than mild discomfort. He acts like he might have nerve pain somewhere.

Vet injected spinal joint yesterday. About a year ago, I had kissing spine space injected too, with good results, but I am trying to decide whether it is the arthritis or kissing spine that is causing symptoms.

Has anyone had experience with back arthritis and/or kissing spine in thoractic area? Did it make your horse reactive to being saddled? I guess they are all different. He does have symptoms under saddle too, such as feeling kind of stuck at first and favoring right lead, but he works out of those things with the right riding.
    friend of bar.ka

Default yes to girthiness

I have experience with a horse with kissing spine in the area you describe. It made him pin his ears when the saddle was placed and sometimes even when grooming before saddling. '

PKN

ETA: About half the time this manifested when girthing as opposed to when placing saddle. And, yes, I always girth up very slowly with 3 tightenings.