The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Name

For a TB off the track. I'll never use it because I really believe that, for a number of reasons, you shouldn't change names.

BUT, if someone has a TB with a really ghastly name, you should rename him "Read My Lip."

You're welcome.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

1 members found this post helpful.

Too funny - I just posted on the OTTB thread about my guy - JC name Read My Legs
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

That's great! Love it!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

My first OTTB was PassionforCashin which was hideous. The second was HundredTenDegrees which I liked. Third one was Star's Ascent which isn't too bad. New one is awful. He is going by Reel Around the Sun which is the opening # in Riverdance. It's the ringtone on my phone and I had texted it to my friend and after I brought him home she texted me and I saw it and knew right away that that was his name. His barn name has been harder. He was Milo all last week, but if I don't call them by their name to their face it's not sticking (pony started out as Cambria and became Kirby) He is now Coleman....I *may* have a small obsession with Coleman Lanterns.

I personally had always wanted to go with Enjolras, but no one knows how to pronounce it except Les Mis experts...

3 members found this post helpful.

I've thought of showing my OTTB under the most common remark on his race record........Failed to Menace. I kind of feel like that would be setting us up for disaster, though I like his JC name anyway (Bobby D).

2 members found this post helpful.

My mare is named "Pool House" and I have taken her to a variety of shows, every so often her name gets a compliment, really? Haha, her barn name was "Pool" when I got her, not happening so I changed her barn name to "Cue" I think it is much nicer

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I personally had always wanted to go with Enjolras, but no one knows how to pronounce it except Les Mis experts...
    Do you hear the announcer botch? Botching the name of your nice horse...

Madeline, I love it!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

3 members found this post helpful.

Decades ago I had a grey roan OTTB gelding named Roses for Adrianne. I thought that was so sweet and how lucky Adrianne was : )

My show horse in high school was a Hanoverian mare by West Coast so her name had to start with a W, but the breeder liked the name Risque so she named her Wrisque. She didn't do any showing and barely any riding before I got her as an 11 year old and I showed her as Risque Review... The girl that got her after me because my parents wouldn't let me take her to college showed her as Risque Affair, which got a few gasps from the crowd and even once made it to a COTH thread about inappropriate names
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post

Madeline, I love it!
    Definitely stealing that for my sig.

Honestly France is the land of weird pronunciation.

* snigger *
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Read My Lip is really cute! I think my horse's JC name "Isleshowthedevil" probably qualifies as a really horrible name, lol.

There was a horse on CANTER MidAtlantic recently - maybe still on there - that my daughter said I should get b/c the horse's name fit ME!!! Wait for it....

Letmegetmybroom. Nice, huh? Cause apparently I'm just a witch... :O

Related: I'd totally name my horse 24601/Two Four Six Oh One. Juuuuust to be a PITA. Barn Name: Jean Valjean.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Gavroche is somewhat easier to pronounce.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Related: I'd totally name my horse 24601/Two Four Six Oh One. Juuuuust to be a PITA. Barn Name: Jean Valjean.
    I am an announcer. Please name your horse that, bring it in a ring I'm working, and give me five minutes' warning. I will announce you as "ybiaw riding..." and Colm Wilkinson will finish it, courtesy of my iPod. I feel that's mandatory.

Gavroche is a Shetland who occasionally dumps his children and runs out the gate.

Related: I know a mare called Cosette. Like her namesake, she's a ninny.
    - Harry Dresden

Gavroche is cute, but not nearly as sexy as Ramin Karimloo's Enjolras.
    That man...

Nice to know that COTH also has a somewhat unhealthy Les Mis obsession like me.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Gavroche is cute, but not nearly as sexy as Ramin Karimloo's Enjolras.
    That man...

Nice to know that COTH also has a somewhat unhealthy Les Mis obsession like me.
    You can't compare Gavroche to Enjolras. One of them is li'le people sassy and the other one wants to start a revolution. One of them is played by a small child and the other one, if he is lucky, by Ramin Karimloo. (Who is also my favorite Phantom, and I could go on and on about him.)

Are you seeing the movie? My sister and I are searching for a theatre which is doing a midnight show.

On topic- Also on the list of "names I always wanted to give a horse," although this requires a specific horse. Black horse with white on only about half his face, named Opera Ghost. Called Phantom at home.
    - Harry Dresden

Don't forget Liza Boyd's ride Fiyero! (Yes, my username is a WICKED reference. )

SUrprised I haven't seen/heard of an Eponine considering it's actually based off a horse goddess, or something like that.