The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has the copyright on Eric Hatch Year of the horse/Grey Flannel suit expired yet?

I scanned it from a paperback that was falling apart, as in the glue binding would no longer hold the pages and you had both clumps and single loose pages.

Does Disney own the rights to the book or just the movie?

The book is out of print and the market is pretty small so I doubt it will ever be released without being rewritten and the charm destroyed in the process.

I was going to offer it to Project Gutenburg so everyone could read it. However not if I get spanked for it.

Sharing something that has been abandoned is one thing, stealing something that belongs to someone else is quite another and like Ghostbusters you don't cross the streams/Lines

Maybe I should eat a pint of icecream fast and when my brain freezes ask Walt.
    I ain't voting for Monica Lewinski's ex-boyfriend's wife!

2 members found this post helpful.

According to wikipedia, the book was published in 1955, so nope, not in the public domain yet. The cut-off year is currently 1923.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    I scanned it from a paperback that was falling apart, as in the glue binding would no longer hold the pages and you had both clumps and single loose pages.
    I have the same "falling apart" book that I have to read every couple years. Love that book!

The book was published in the 60s, right? So it's still under copyright - the general guidelines is pre-1923 works are in the public domain so can be scanned/etc for things like PG.

One of those projects, I forget which one, converts scanned books into a format that is useable by blind e-readers, which is a fair use independent of copyright. You might donate your scan to one of them.

I figure it has the secondary advantage of making it more likely that an electronic version will be around when the copyright does expire.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

OP, did you know that you can have your book rebound? That's true in most cases. It's cheap, you can get the binding done your way with whatever you want printed on the spine/cover. And IME, it supports a local business.

Rebinding beloved books is a good time, as weird as it sounds.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Would you believe I did that in 2002 page at a time, converted it to word format and sent it to a program very similar to what you describe in fact it may be the same books for the blind. and then my computer hard drive became corrupted and it was lost. This was in the days before online backup.

There is an online lending library which will lend out ebooks for 10 days or so then somehow they snatch it back from your computer.
    They have a copy of Harliquin Hulaballoo and that was published in '58 so maybe they have worked out a legal option.

Not worth it for this book but my old WH magazines might be a possibility of binding.
    Last edited by 5; Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM.

5, Just write to the Permissions Department of the publisher. Disney may have the movie rights but that has nothing to do with the book copyright. AFIK the publisher was Crown Books, which is now Random House. I worked in subsidiary rights departments at Hearst and then Random House, and this included the Permissions group. If someone wrote to us asking if they can make a handful of copies of a disintegrating book and distribute them for free, in a non-commercial setting? (at least that's how I'm interpreting your OP) We'd have said Sure, No Problem! This was many years ago, but I have no doubt they'd approve.
    http://www.randomhouse.com/about/permissions.html

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    If someone wrote to us asking if they can make a handful of copies of a disintegrating book and distribute them for free, in a non-commercial setting? (at least that's how I'm interpreting your OP) http://www.randomhouse.com/about/permissions.html
    You interpret right.

The book is mentioned on COTH about once a year and the new generation can't seem to get a copy of it to read.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Which reminds me that my now former trainer still has my copy. Former b/c she moved out of state, not b/c there were issues. Periodically I send her an email or text reminding her to remember to send it to me. Guess it's time for another one.
    The Evil Chem Prof

ugh- lending out books--- even when it's between friends, for some reason those books just never, ever come back.

2 members found this post helpful.

There are four copies available through Alibris, ranging in price from $21 to $57, if it's worth that to you.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?au...r+of+the+Horse

My local library has it, and I check it out to re-read every once in a while. Disney SOOOOOO hoked it up. Why do all Disney families have to consist of a child and a widow or widower? One of the important characters - Dad's secretary - disappears, and the trainer (male) has a sex change operation (apparently). Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    There are four copies available through Alibris, ranging in price from $21 to $57, if it's worth that to you.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?au...r+of+the+Horse

My local library has it, and I check it out to re-read every once in a while. Disney SOOOOOO hoked it up. Why do all Disney families have to consist of a child and a widow or widower? One of the important characters - Dad's secretary - disappears, and the trainer (male) has a sex change operation (apparently). Sigh.
    That's funny, my daughter noticed that when she was about 10 that every child in horse movies has a dead mother...As a child who's father died, I loved the single parent in the movie.

Yes, but both the secretary (whose chosen discipline is barrel racing and who actually gives the daughter the basics of riding) and the mother (who was going to take the orchids destroyed in the runaway horse/greenhouse scene to a flower show) are important plot points in the book - as is the husband's turning away from intimacy with the secretary and remaining faithful to his wife. (Of course, intimations of marital infidelity in a Disney movie - not gonna happen! LOL). However, it was an interesting
    scene - in the book - where dad/secretary discuss the child's riding, figuring out that BNT is great at coaching people who are already good riders and "putting the polish" on them, but that with the daughter, it's like "trying to polish shoes that are still being made." At least they did leave in the kid realizing she's under pressure to win to save/keep dad's job.

Of course, the highlight of WTF in the movie is the Morgan sportscar pulling a loaded two-horse trailer!! It sure wasn't a Brenderup, so, no way. (Having said that, I did have a friend who once pulled a small two horse with a Mustang, but it was unloaded and they didn't go very far.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Yes, but both the secretary (whose chosen discipline is barrel racing and who actually gives the daughter the basics of riding) and the mother (who was going to take the orchids destroyed in the runaway horse/greenhouse scene to a flower show) are important plot points in the book - as is the husband's turning away from intimacy with the secretary and remaining faithful to his wife. (Of course, intimations of marital infidelity in a Disney movie - not gonna happen! LOL). However, it was an interesting
    scene - in the book - where dad/secretary discuss the child's riding, figuring out that BNT is great at coaching people who are already good riders and "putting the polish" on them, but that with the daughter, it's like "trying to polish shoes that are still being made." At least they did leave in the kid realizing she's under pressure to win to save/keep dad's job.

Of course, the highlight of WTF in the movie is the Morgan sportscar pulling a loaded two-horse trailer!! It sure wasn't a Brenderup, so, no way. (Having said that, I did have a friend who once pulled a small two horse with a Mustang, but it was unloaded and they didn't go very far.)
    Now I need to read the book.

Yes, the sports car pulling the trailer is a total crack up. Unfortunately the scene with the father attempting to tack up the horse is exactly how Mr. Stolen does it....the groom at the barn always comes rushing in when he starts to tack up, which is pretty rare..

Had no idea there was a book! (smacks forehead). I think I will buy one of these old copies for myself for Chrismas

Quote Originally Posted by copyright.gov
    The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics. http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html#303

Disney probably still does own the movie rights, depending on the contract. Those are unrelated to copyright (as are serial rights, foreign rights, etc. This is why agents are helpful). GENERALLY, you sell the option to a production company for a certain amount of time. They can act on it, or not act on it. If they fail to act on it within the contract time, the rights revert to the author at some point (a few years.) Or they may act on them, and whether the author gets anything else at this point depends on how good an agent they have. Disney still owns the movie and they are NOT someone to cross when it comes to copyright. (They're the ones who keep going to court to push the limit out farther so Mickey cartoons won't be public domain. Though Mickey's current IMAGE and his name are probably trademarked, which is also different from copyright.)

I would, besides inquiring if copying it is all right, find out which publisher owns it now (a lot of the publishing houses have changed hands and merged since then) politely suggest that it be made available to purchase again, print and/or electronic edition via Amazon or B&N. Ebooks are cheap to produce (no inventory) and can be done where there's not a HUGE demand for the book. (And creating a blind e-reader file is okay for personal use. Giving the file to anyone else is absolutely not okay no matter what someone tells you about fair use. That's still stealing when the books is not public domain and you did not have permission to distribute it.)

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Disney still owns the movie and they are NOT someone to cross when it comes to copyright.
    Yeah, I've heard micky isn't as nice as people think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvoshIyp_qY