I have a saddle for sale and someone wants to take it on trial. Yes I know this is normal and I understand why and I want the saddle gone so am definitely considering sending it to them but I don't know the people who want to try it.
They're willing to put down a deposit, which is good, so I was wondering how much would be reasonable to ask? I'm selling it for $800. Also what type of precautions should I take? Do any of you guys have experience with this?
When I have done this I negotiated the final price and they paid for it. Turns out they kept the saddle but the deal was when the saddle was returned in the same shape it left in I returned the money. Are they picking it up, are you dropping it off or is it being mailed? Protect yourself as saddles have been known to go missing.
The one and only time I let someone take a saddle on trial, they were local (I wasn't willing to ship for trials...I wanted them close enough I could hunt them down if need be). I checked them out as they were a local horse care professional so known in the area, and I knew where they lived and horse lived. AND I got payment in full, refundable if she returned the saddle. I just don't think a deposit is enough.
Way back when I bought a saddle off eBay, we did an escrow service where the money went into an account to be held, and the seller could only get it once I received the saddle and said it worked for me. But that was years ago and I have no idea if that same service is available. It was spendy, too, as I recall, but worth it as I was buying a high end (high dollar) saddle pretty much sight unseen (it did work and was a super deal as I sold it a year or two later for more).
Unless the person is known and trusted, get the full amount up front. (And not a check where payment can be stopped or there can be insufficient funds, etc. I would only take cash.) Do take photos of the condition of the saddle when it left. Saddle returned in same condition = full refund. Or they decide to keep it, then you already have the payment.
I agree with everyone! I have my Antares out on trial with someone right now. She has had it 2 weeks now. Within a day or two of her getting it we had a massive storm hit here in Northern Ca for about 5 days and she was unable to ride. I normally don't take personal checks but she didn't have a paypal account. It took at least 4 or 5 days for the check to get here. Once it got here and I took it to the bank on the check and had it cashed and immediately dropped the saddle off at the post office. It cost me $5 to cash the check which is fine if it ends up not working out. I told her to give it a good 3 days at least to ride in and if she needs more time or if she is unable to ride because of weather or anything to let me know. I have had to check in (Fri)to see how its going and that is how I found out she hasn't been able to ride. I was hoping by the end of the weekend we might have an idea if it will work or not. I don't mind it taking a little while other than I have the money and things I would like to do with it but can't until I know if its sold or not! I have to admit that it if it doesn't sell I won't be heartbroken as I really like it but we can use the money right now! Of course it will sell and as soon as it does the new horse with grow, gain weight and what not and the other saddle that fits ok will not fit even faster than I'm expecting!