The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do I need to replace my Oster A5? Help!

I'm not sure if my A5's are dying or not suitable for the job. My Oster Clipmasters are my go to for body clipping, however I've been running across several mares that definitely prefer the A5's for the more sensitive parts of the body.

Knowing that I had several horses to clip I purchased a new pair of #10 Wide blades. They do not clip. Leave major lines of totally unclipped hair, and I find myself having to push the blades through the coat. Thinking they were simply defective, I replaced them with a new pair of T84's. These also do not clip well at all. Both sets were generously oiled and I use Kool Lube spray frequently. My old dull #10's are doing a much better job, but after last night they are officially too dull to glide through the coat. A job that should've taken 1 hr alternating the Clipmasters and A5's took over 2 hours. I was not happy

These A5's are older, and still seem to run well. They are the single speed instead of the 2 speed. Are they just not powerful enough for the job? They were doing fine with my older dull #10 blades, just not the two new sets of blades. I seriously doubt that I have two sets of bad blades from two different companies. What am I doing wrong?

Do I replace them? And with what? I know plenty of people do a full clip with A5's. Why is it that mind can't even handle a belly full of fur?

Maybe send them in for a service? I'm having similar issues but my A5s are much newer which is all the more frustrating.

Just found a thread in Off Course on buying replacement parts. I'm slightly worried that I'll get the clippers and not get them back together though

My two-speed A5's are completely useless. From the start they have left major lines, not clipped, etc... the wide blades leave 3 lines of completely unclipped hair with each pass.

I've debated sending them in for servicing to see if it fixes them, but I'm convinced they just suck, and really don't want to spend another dime on them.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't get the T84 blades to clip well with my A5's. However put them on pretty much any other type of clipper and they work fine. The A5's just seem to be happy with the smaller blades.

I don't know if it's just my luck but I haven't been happy with any of my Oster's lately. Blew two pairs of the ClipMasters out within a year and the A5's are not doing so well lately either.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Just found a thread in Off Course on buying replacement parts. I'm slightly worried that I'll get the clippers and not get them back together though
    The A5's are simple... Two screws on the name plate hold all the works together. I had an A5 that the rocker arm was worn and didn't move the blade completely. New arm and the clipper worked like new again.

Exclamation

Thanks Hosspuller. I found the arm and brushes on Valley Vet. Anyone want to loan me a furry beast so I can find out if the replacement parts work? I really don't want to wait until the middle of a clip job to find out they are no better than previously.

Just my feeling on clippers, the smaller ones like the A5 are fine for the hard to reach, sensitive places and touching up. To me they don't seem sturdy enough for full body clipping. Leave the Body clipping to the big boys like the clipmaster, I have had the same pair for 15+ years. replaced the arms and the brushes a few times, replaced the motor once. Been 15+ hard years clipping cattle and horses. If the noise is an issue and you can afford to spend a little bit more Lister has a really nice set of body clippers that are really quiet.

Smokey,
    That is exactly what I use my A5's for. My clipmasters are the older ones made originally by Sunbeam....they are a dream for body clipping. But I need my A5's to work for the sensitive areas

Quote Originally Posted by smokey1428 View Post
    Just my feeling on clippers, the smaller ones like the A5 are fine for the hard to reach, sensitive places and touching up. To me they don't seem sturdy enough for full body clipping. Leave the Body clipping to the big boys like the clipmaster, I have had the same pair for 15+ years. replaced the arms and the brushes a few times, replaced the motor once. Been 15+ hard years clipping cattle and horses. If the noise is an issue and you can afford to spend a little bit more Lister has a really nice set of body clippers that are really quiet.

I never had luck with the T-84 blades on my Andis either. If your clippers need service, call Oster. Andis completely refurbished my AGC Super 2 speeds for $45. The replaced everything (including the motor I think), sharpened the blade, replaced the blade drive, and a faulty cord. So worth the $$.

oh my mistake I don't use the small one's often, have an old pair of andis with #10 blades, when they started leaving lines sent them off they rebuilt them for little bit of nothing. I have a cheap pair of small clippers I got from walmart that I use for touch up and trimming. They work well and if they break $30 get a new pair. They generally last a year to year and a half, doing horses and myself!

I have 2 pair of old(er) single speed A-5's and they work beautifully. I have had them over 20 yrs and have body clipped more horses than I want to count with them. I have a set of the big ones but I like the small ones just as well.

Here are my pearls/suggestions/comments:
    Last yr I bought a wide #10 blade "cuz everybody uses them". Didn't clip worth a crap. Left lines, etc. Was totally dull before I was done on one horse doing a repeat trace clip!! Call me uninpressed with the BLADES!
    I use 7F blades on my A-5's to body clip with. A bit longer hair than the #10's, about the same as the big clippers. BTW, all my other blades worked fine, including my 7F's, when the wide 10's weren't working worth a crap.
    Use blade wash, not just cool lube. Be sure to actually put the blades IN the blade wash with the clippers running for a good minute or 2 every 10-15 minutes to get the hair out of the blades. You then need to put oil on them since the wash will also strip all the oil from the blades. Use the cool lube WHILE clipping to keep the blades cool, etc between washes. And be LIBERAL with the cool lube. You should hear a change in how the blades are running while you spray them.
    NEVER EVER turn the clippers on with the blade snapped in place. This wears out the motor very quickly. Flip the blade up, turn the clipper on, then snap the blade down onto it. You will hear the motor slow and "groan" when you do that so think of what it is having to do when it starts with the blade already on the motor.
    Replace the gear and re-pack the grease. You have to take the head off of them to do this but it is super easy to do. And you might be surprised what you find IN them!!
    If all else fails, send them back to OSTER for repair, looking at, etc. I have had great luck with Oster. Good service, reasonable cost, etc. Here is the contact info I have for them. I hope it is still current; I have had to use them in a couple of years.
    Oster Direct, 150 Cadillac Lane, McMinnville, TN 37110
    1-800-830-3678

Hope that helps.

A5s are NOT meant for full body clips but for bridle paths, feathers, touch ups.

If clippers are not clipping, use blade wash (trapped hair). But it usually because the horse is dirty as well.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    A5s are NOT meant for full body clips but for bridle paths, feathers, touch ups.

If clippers are not clipping, use blade wash (trapped hair). But it usually because the horse is dirty as well.
    True, they are not meant for body clipping. BUT if you take care of them, take care of the blades, and be sure you are clipping clean coats, they can do the job just fine. After 20+ yrs, I have 2 pair that can attest to this.

BUT, I am absolutely anal about how I take care of my clippers and the blades.
    Blade wash, oil, KoolLube, don't have the blades on the clippers when you start them, replace the gear and repack the grease regularly, keep the screws tight on the clippers. use GOOD blades, etc.

Treat them nicely and they will return the favor.

Actually, now that I think of it, one pair is 30+ yrs old!! And still going strong.

I have used A5 for body clipping and they have held up amazingly well. Now however, the screw that holds the part that holds the blade comes out when I use them. But they are almost 10 years old.