The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wet food for picky kitty?

My beloved kitty will.not. eat wet food! I have tried several different brands and the same thing happens everytime!

Wet food put in dish. Kitty looks excited. Put dish down on kitty's mat. Kitty suspiciously looks at the food, takes a sniff and walks away. He's been on a dry kibble only diet since I adopted him from the local shelter 8 months ago. I thought I was doing something nice by offering him some delicious wet food (as well as getting some more liquids into him to avoid any UTI issues) but he acts thoroughly offended. Any suggestions? Is there a certain brand of wet that I should be offering his royal highness?

I'm interested to hear the responses - my girl is NOT a wet food fan, and I have tried everything out there! The only thing she'll actually take some bites of is the Fancy Feast weirdo breakfast chicken souffle. Even the supposedly "every cat will eat this!" Tiki Cat she ran from!!

Just plop down some raw chicken the next time you have a bird. Not much, just enough to get kitty excited about wet food.

I will admit I am lucky to have a cat that will eat everything, but his favorite is either Earthborn Holistics chicken cat-a-torie (sp) or raw chicken/turkey.

You can also try,... the next time you have canned tuna, pour the liquid (if you buy tuna in water NOT oil) over some kibble and give it to kitty that way.
    I do not recommend give a cat canned tuna on a regular basis, but once and a blue moon I give mine the tuna juice. (too much mercury in the tuna for little kitty bodies)

Fancy feast. The "original" stuff, not the fancy dancy stuff. And I agree with what I call "tuna soup." But not too often.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Try a raw diet. Mine doesn't like dry food or wet food a whole lot.

He however gobbles up beef, pork, chicken wings (whole), as well as a small amount of organ meat. It's the best diet you can give to your cat. Nothing is more satisfying than to hear him chomp and tear at his dinner.

Sometimes they just don't know it's actual food if it's not something they had before. The excitement wears off quick once you set the bowl down -- whatever it is gets a sniff or two then its ignored.

Start out with small quantities (like a spoonful or two) with tuna water added. If that goes down the hatch without issue, add another spoonful with a little less tuna water. So on and so forth till kitty is eating the food without the tuna inducement. Sometimes if you get canned cat food that's fished based, you'll have better luck -- the stinkier it is to us humans, the more cats like it.

I second giving SMALL quantities of whole proteins (chicken is a good place to start), though I'd start with a bit of cooked first. If kitty isn't used to eating stuff like that, it can cause digestive upset if you go overboard on the first feeding. When I make chicken for myself, I usually save out a piece or two from whatever I'm going to make and cook it separate for the cats (boiled so I can make stock with it too). Then I pick the meat off the bone, mix it with a bit of the stock, and the kittehs get warm soup. If there's any stock left, I save it and feed it to them throughout the week, warmed up in the microwave to take the chill off.

My old curmudgeon loves her chicken soup but won't touch canned cat food. The little man doesn't care what you set down in front of him and eats anything with gusto.

I've never seen a cat turn down Tiki Cat. It's like kitty crack.

I've been feeding Weruva for the last couple of months and had great luck with it, too. My extremely picky I-will-never-eat-anything-but-Wellness-salmon boy loves it and will eat all the chicken and non fish varieties with no hesitation. Which is really nothing short of miraculous.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My personal favorites for kittens who won't eat are boiled chicken thighs, served warm and in small bites, and Weruva, the various chicken and beef flavors. I have had cats who won't eat human tuna or its juice like that pair. As far as Tiki Cat, the cats I have tried to entice with it like Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp better and it is a lot less money.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Www.catinfo.org explains how to transition to wet food. Weruva is another form of cat crack.

I just tried a brand called Petite Cuisine I picked up from Petco. I bought the steamed tuna and shrimp variety and they inhaled it. It has a lof ot juice, so I think that's why they enjoyed it so much.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05