The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fast cheap paddock fencing. How about this?

Assuming I can get sturdy poles to mount this onto, how would this work for paddock fencing?

http://www.agriculturesolutions.com/...x-50-each.html

I use something like that in my garden to keep my dogs out. I would not use it as fencing for horses at all. I cannot see them possibly having any respect for it.

Will you have horizontal rails also? If not, the horses will quickly learn to lean on them and break the fence.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

300 feet for $239? Did I read that right? Field fencing (metal) is cheaper than that for the same amount. I use the plastic fencing for my garden and it sucks--hard to get tight and it gets brittle after a couple of seasons in the sun (now, maybe the stuff you showed is better quality than what I have for my garden), and my dogs push it over!

I'd think you could stretch metal 2 x 2 garden fencing with small squares for less than that...
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Use white electric tape with a plug in charger. It saves a fortune over any other horse fencing, and most (I say MOST) horses won't touch it. But don't try to keep horses in with fencing that is not designed for horses. Remember, you are liable for any damage they do if they get loose. (Car accidents, property damage, etc.) Fencing them well is much cheaper...

I suppose you could use this strictly as a visible barrier behind 3 lines (top, middle bottom) of hotwire, but as has been mentioned, it will get brittle and isn't a bargain.

Taking the same approach, I would use the same 3 lines of hotwire with field fencing or even welded wire mesh as a less expensive back up. Obviously I wouldn't suggest either alone, as it is the hotwire that actually keeps them in, but the mesh makes it less likely they will run through it.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

It's plastic. Imagine 1000 pound of horse leaning on it for that ever so tasty bite just a little bit further and tell me how long it will last.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by dressagegirl123 View Post
    Use white electric tape with a plug in charger. It saves a fortune over any other horse fencing, and most (I say MOST) horses won't touch it. But don't try to keep horses in with fencing that is not designed for horses. Remember, you are liable for any damage they do if they get loose. (Car accidents, property damage, etc.) Fencing them well is much cheaper...
    Wholeheartedly second this. Hotwire would be my #1 choice IF I already had solid perimeter fencing in place, or lived in an area where there was no chance they could get on a road and kill someone.

Electric fencing is a pain to put up but at least you know they're safely contained.

I wonder what would happen if a horse kicked the plastic?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

It would work for about 3 seconds. And then it would be trashed.

I use electric, even along with wood fencing. I had just wood fencing before, 3 rails of 2x6 and the horses even busted those a few times. They only have respect for hot wire, especially the hot tape because they see it better.

There's no such thing as fast cheap paddock fencing.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

3 members found this post helpful.

Non-climb horse fence and hot wire/tape...works.

1 members found this post helpful.

I used a similar product. Thought it would be ideal for foals... It works well along with electric top and bottom, sometimes middle strand as well. Best luck I have had is with my stallion, but he is one of those that if you draw a line in the sand he will stay behind it kinda critters

On the plus, it is very safe, I have had no injuries caused by it. There are UV stabilized products and those do last.

If you want to try it, it is very easy to attach to T posts - either zip ties or polytwine (free with hay

It looks nice and much MUCH safer then chain link fence.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    It looks nice and much MUCH safer then chain link fence.
    Chain link fence is very dangerous for horses as it will expand when kicked and then contract - imagine a hoof caught in there...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Electric. YOu can get even a very mild little zapper for $30 and wire it as hot as you can. Or hit a garage sale/pawn shop/old rancher fart and see what you can find. We got six old Parmak electric fencers for $10 at a garage sale this summer-they all work great and those old things work forever and will light up a horse.

I don't like chain link because it's unattactive imo and because it has the little "splinters", but I cannot imagine it expanding so that a hoof can go through it. Is that the danger you are talking about? Otherwise, how is chain link fencing dangerous to horses? Is it that installation?

As for the op, I think that will not be a good choie for security or for longevity, even if you are talking about temporary fencing. As someone else said there are metal fencing that is safe and cheaper than this. The one I'm thinking of for temporay fencing is a lighter weight metal fencing that has 2 x 4 squares but doesn't hold up for horses over a course of years, but is about $.50 per linear foot. Of course real no-climb horse fencing is only about $1.25.
    Last edited by Coyoteco; Dec. 15, 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add