The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ah but the question is ... Did kitty make the 8 second buzzer?
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

7 members found this post helpful.

Never, ever trust a cat in high places wether you stand there on your horse or ride by said cat.

I was starting a very quiet, sensible colt, on his first ride, best I remember, around the shedrow and our old cat was sitting on a dutch door edge.
    As I rode by, he decided to jump on the colt's behind.
    Colt took one huge jump, cat slid off, leaving bloody marks on the way down, colt took another couple of jumps and stood there, wondering what that was all about.
    I got off and surveyed the damage, but other than a bit of blood here and there, all seemed fine after a good washing.
    Thankfully the colt didn't get cat scratch fever from that, or became scared or things, but kept being his own nice, quiet self.
    I, on the other hand, won't ride anywhere near cats in high places.

I am impressed that the cat stayed on your mare thru her bucking.

Well your story is much better than mine, but I also came off because of a cat. First week I owned my new boy, in fact I think it was my first "real" ride. Had a GREAT ride, felt really good (mind you I have been battling confidence issues so this was great because I bought him to be a confidence builder). Well after ride I am sitting on him holding reins on the buckle just chatting. My son (who was 20 at the time) came up with the sassiest barn cat and held him up to my horses face. My horse (being a curious gelding) sniffed kitty. Kitty gave my horse a right hook to the nose with all five claws out! Horse went straight up, hit me in the nose with his neck he went that high, then took off bucking. I did make it halfway around the circle but as the wall came up and he was accelerating, and I had lost the reins, I sort of bailed/just gave up trying to stay on, and slid off next to the wall. Needless to say, that didn't build my confidence much!!!

HOrse is also still a little wary around that particular cat, although he doesn't seem to mind the other kitties

Glad your okay BUT where is a camera when you need one ? ! Poor kitty ;-)

I too admit I was giggling a little and then you said "badonkadonk" and that totally got me!! Might I also suggest a nice martini to numb your butt!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

2 members found this post helpful.

I feel bad for laughing and I am glad you are okay, but that has to be one of the best fall stories I have ever heard! Gotta love cats!!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerButt View Post
    I honestly think this is the best falling off story EVER!!!!! (Sorry you ate dirt...)
    I agree. OP I am sorry this happened but I am LOL at your description. As they say "There before the grace of God...." Hope the Advil helped!

Sounds like that cat rides a buck way better than I ever could. Glad you were undamaged. I personally would be looking for something real special for the cat....

Another reason why cats are evil!

The last time I came off my now-retired horse was because of a cat. I was attempting to rehab him from his injury and the protocol called for some easy trotting. So we were trotting in the indoor on a loopy rein and I was posting in a lazy, equally loopy way. As I approached the door to outside I posted up and found the horse had disappeared I think I hung there in the air like a cartoon character as I realized coming down from this post was going to be a problem. Then I splatted on my right side.
    When I looked up I saw a concerned-looking horse standing a short distance away and watching me. Then I saw the cat scurrying away though the indoor. Apparently he had been just outside near the open door. Then, like a squirrel in traffic, he waited until he could dart out right in front of us, suddenly appearing almost underfoot.
    Wasnt even a friendly cat. Or a good hunter...

1 members found this post helpful.