The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Who uses Calf Manna? Who REMEMBERS Calf Manna?

Back in the day, everyone I knew fed their horses Calf Manna - not just the babies, either. They fed it for the add'l protein, fat, and the way it beefed up the skinny ones and put muscle & shine on the others. Especially on the track.

Fast forward to now. If I say, "Calf Manna" I get blank, questioning stares

So I'm wondering - anyone still use it? For what type of horse, and how much do you feed? Do you use it as a supplement only or equal in parts to your grain?

I know you're out there!
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

A friend of mine gives 1/2 cup of calf manna twice a day to her horses. Says it makes them shiny and makes their tails grow. Her horses do have the nicest tails I've ever seen.

I believe it is now called "Manna Pro". We used to feed it, but now our feed supplier sells a cheaper copy. Works well for improving condition on hard keepers.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

i think its become less popular with the "competition" or ration balancers, fat supplements, etc. ive fed it when i could not get a ration balancer, but overall its more expensive than a comparable quality ration balancer, its got more sugar in it, and it was designed for cows. i would much rather feed something lower in sugar that was designed for horses and is also cheaper.

I remember that stuff. I also remember Tiz Wiz. It was like adding rocket fuel to otherwise sedentary and law abiding animals. It has been awhile since I fed either.

1 members found this post helpful.

We used it on weanlings to complement their diet of alfalfa and rolled oats.
    They were shiny, healthy and happy, grew well and performed soundly as adults.

Remember, protein can be the primary limiting factor in growth, so to have aboundant protein, within reason and with the right profile of aminoacids is important.
    Calf Manna supplementation provided that well for us.

If a horse is already on a good feeding program, supplementation should not be necessary.
    Check what you are feeding and Calf Manna's composition and see if you need to feed it at all.

OMG, I remember Tiz Wiz! Haven't thought of that stuff in years...

Anyway, I do feed it to my guy. I had my option of two different ration balancers or straight soybean meal available to me to try to up Bo's protein and see if that helps with hoof growth (complicated situation). I tried a small amount of soybean meal, he wouldn't eat it. I got the Calf Manna since it was lower in Se, Vit. A, and other things I feared overdosing him on compared to the other ration balancer. He loves it and has shown a little increase in hoof growth, but mostly the horse muscled up and filled out. I'm leaving him on it since it does seem to help and he likes at. Since he's 23 YO and I've cut a LOT of sugar out of his diet anyway, then he can just darn well have the Calf Manna.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

No, it's still Calf Manna; Manna Pro is the company that makes it. I still use it during spring shedding because of all the things I've used that claim to put a bloom on a horse (powerpak deworming routine, max-e-glo, empower, ultimate finish, various oil products, specialized coat supplements which basically boil down to flax and oils...etc and so forth), none are as simple to feed and get the results that Calf Manna does.

I also keep a bag handy for when my old man goes off his feed (every 3-6 months). Calf manna has lots of anise in it (same stuff in black licorice) and will improve appetite in most picky eaters.

It's been around for 75 years, and I think the formula hasn't changed. There have been lots of breakthroughs in research but there's something about Calf Manna that just works. Lots of show animal owners I know use it, from cattle to goats to sheep and swine.

How much of it do you feed?

Oh and... the horse in question could actually use a little rocket fuel
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    Appassion, how much of it do you feed him?
    Weeeeellll...my guy's situation is very "complicated." I'll spare you the details and just leave it that my horse is given 1 lb per feeding, so 2 lbs per day (two feedings). I happen to know that measurement since my feed mill gets the open-topped boxes that hold 1/2 lb of Calf Manna. My horse is not in work, but he gained muscle anyway. Here's the most recent pics: http://pets.webshots.com/album/561142258iUTPrn

Please note though that my horse's situation is somewhat unique. If you have a younger and working horse that you are trying to add some muscle to, there might be a different reason why the horse isn't putting on the muscle than just protein.
    5/5/84-7/12/08

You follow instructions.
    Generally, at first the little cardboard container in the bag, twice a day, if I remember well.
    Adjust according to the results.

Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    No, it's still Calf Manna; Manna Pro is the company that makes it. I still use it during spring shedding because of all the things I've used that claim to put a bloom on a horse (powerpak deworming routine, max-e-glo, empower, ultimate finish, various oil products, specialized coat supplements which basically boil down to flax and oils...etc and so forth), none are as simple to feed and get the results that Calf Manna does.

I also keep a bag handy for when my old man goes off his feed (every 3-6 months). Calf manna has lots of anise in it (same stuff in black licorice) and will improve appetite in most picky eaters.

It's been around for 75 years, and I think the formula hasn't changed. There have been lots of breakthroughs in research but there's something about Calf Manna that just works. Lots of show animal owners I know use it, from cattle to goats to sheep and swine.
    I do use flax and BOSS for fat, but that's a GREAT point about enticing the oldies to eat! It really has helped some of the mill customers that have oldies that just stop eating and need some weight. Of course fat and such was mentioned, but try to get most older horses that have gotten down to eat fat if they were not starved but just stopped eating. It ain't easy.
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    I remember that stuff. I also remember Tiz Wiz. It was like adding rocket fuel to otherwise sedentary and law abiding animals. It has been awhile since I fed either.
    Au contraire, my experience was that it didn't hype up horses unlike Red Cell.

I used it with great results, lastly on an ancient mare to help keep weight on and prevent anemia. I haven't used it since she was put down in '95, but wouldn't hesitate to select it because of familiarity ahead of newer products that might be just as good, I just don't know 'em. One feeds per instructions, the little cardboard box presumably still comes in the bag.

Default And I Have the Hat to Prove It

Anyone else have a red and white stocking cap with CALF MANNA on it?? Late sixties in suburban Oregon we rode around the neighborhood in mud boots, flannel shirts, rain slickers, and CALF MANNA stocking caps. Dreaming of someday riding in real leather boots, britches and helmet...

Just my experience, the little box does not come with the bag. My feed store asks for the boxes occasionally so new customers can get a box. At TSC, I don't know what to tell you to do. I don't know if they have boxes or not, but they aren't in the bag nor near the bags. Just thought I'd mention it how it's sold in my area anyway.
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Back in the day = when exactly?

I got a skinny one a couple ofyears ago. One advise I received was to use Calf Manna. I was told that tis too high in protein for horses, so I used Beep and UF instead. Anyone else heard that?

Both worked with varying degrees of success and side effects.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestRerider View Post
    Anyone else have a red and white stocking cap with CALF MANNA on it?? Late sixties in suburban Oregon we rode around the neighborhood in mud boots, flannel shirts, rain slickers, and CALF MANNA stocking caps. Dreaming of someday riding in real leather boots, britches and helmet...
    I don't date back quite that far, but I certainly remember in my youth dreaming one day of owning real leather boots instead of rubber boots.

And since I'm a redneck, I still wear flannel.

Good point about the beet pulp JohnDeere! I use it and have for a while (longer than Calf Manna). It was only after adding Calf Manna though that he beefed up. His pelleted food is 14% protein, his alfalfa pellets read I think 15%. Maybe there was this one thing in the 25% for Calf Manna that he needed, not even just the 25%? Who knows!
    5/5/84-7/12/08

1970's? Right? I remember Calf Manna....lol Never used it, but now it makes me think of the old supplements.

Remember Vimcon (sp) by Farnum? If I recall Farnum made a lot of the supplements back then.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere View Post
    Back in the day = when exactly?

I got a skinny one a couple ofyears ago. One advise I received was to use Calf Manna. I was told that tis too high in protein for horses, so I used Beep and UF instead. Anyone else heard that?

Both worked with varying degrees of success and side effects.
    Oh, yes, I've heard many times of the evils of Calf Manna. I ignore the naysayers.

Seemed like it was the "in" thing to feed with Arab breeders years ago for the futurity babies. But it is still around. My vet actually had me supplement with it when Sass was pregnant with Chevy in 2002/2003. I contemplated using it for the redheaded princess picky eater... but now that I've added Rice Bran Meal (Max E Glo from Manna Pro).... she INHALES her grain now.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog