The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's going on with this mare's color?

I have no idea who she is or what her breeding is, picture was posted on another forums and I am super curious as to what the heck is going on with her color. I am guessing that she is at least 4, so it seem kind of late to just being starting to gray? Her foal is pretty obviously going gray, which is a shame because he is pretty cool looking too.

mare
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Roaning on skewbald?

I would say she is very slowly greying. I had a couple of grey foals from one particular mare that really, really looked bay for far longer than you would have thought. Once you got up close it was obvious they were grey, but from any kind of a distance they still looked like a color. It really can take a long time on some horses.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Weird. The foal is a very cool color, and greying, but I think there is something else going on there too. Appaloosa patterning?

But the sire could be grey so that mare isn't necessarily the source of that.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

She's 12 in that picture, so while it's not impossible, I really, really doubt she's gray. In addition, again while not impossible, to have that much "gray" on her legs, crest and neck, and next to none to speak of on her face, would be highly unusual, even furthering the notion of not gray.

The colt is apparently Stanford, and this is apparently the colt's sire - Sanyo. The dam is Samken (Sambuco B). The dam's dam is supposedly Wiesken who, according to what someone else said, is listed as gray. But, also, the dam's damsire is Bukephalos, the Roan Trakehner.

The dam of the colt really does fit a Roan pattern. The colt also looks quite Roan, with all that brindling in his barrel, not atypical of a Roan foal coat.

I really hope someone here knows these horses/knows more information about some of the missing links!

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I thought the foal's sire was Bukephalos? I came back all excited with a picture of him.
    The Blog

Nope, he's the colt's dam's damsire

http://www.americantrakehner.com/sta...Bukephalos.asp

I have a two year old gelding right now who is doing just that. not a sign of grey which surprised my out of two grey parents.. right now.. I see he just starting to grey.. I believe he will be steel for very long time. in a 3 x 3 square on his coat.. I only find one or two hairs.. but they are all over his body.. nothing yet on his face or around his eyes.. I was absolutely shocked. I always thought it would show by the time they had shed out after their first winter....but he did not get the memo.

Royal Diamond was registered as a black stallion and was approved as a black stallion and started to grey at age 7....SURPRISE!!! So you can grey late.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibehorsepoor! View Post
    I have a two year old gelding right now who is doing just that. not a sign of grey which surprised my out of two grey parents.. right now.. I see he just starting to grey.. I believe he will be steel for very long time. in a 3 x 3 square on his coat.. I only find one or two hairs.. but they are all over his body.. nothing yet on his face or around his eyes.. I was absolutely shocked. I always thought it would show by the time they had shed out after their first winter....but he did not get the memo.
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

So with no grey parent....then that foal is not going grey right? Dam doesn't look like she is going grey....I've seen them start to go grey later, and they don't look like this. It starts typically around the eyes and in the head....not sprinkled like on that mare.

Very pretty regardless of his color...
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 14, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    So with no grey parent....then that foal is not going grey right? Dam doesn't look like she is going grey....I've seen them start to go grey later, and they don't look like this. It starts typically around the eyes and in the head....not sprinkled like on that mare.

Very pretty regardless of his color...
    The foal to me looks like the typical gray that starts to go gray around the face first and then the rest of the body follows. I don't know what else would explain that. Could both parents simply be carrying the gray gene?
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    The foal to me looks like the typical gray that starts to go gray around the face first and then the rest of the body follows. I don't know what else would explain that. Could both parents simply be carrying the gray gene?
    I didn't think gray genes worked like that....if a horse has the gray gene it is dominate. So they go gray. You can not have a gray foal without at least one gray parent. I think the foal just has an unusual color...and bet he is not going gray.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Right, gray doesn't work like that. Gray doesn't hide - if it's there, the horse will be gray at some point in its life.

we're not ruling out gray yet, but it's just sooooo unlikely. The sire certainly isn't gray. Supposedly the dam's dam is gray, which leaves open the change the dam is gray, but it's just such a small chance at this point given 1) how old she is (supposedly 12) and 2) how very, very atypical her "graying" pattern is.