The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you're going to have an upcoming events please make sure that part is actually updated! I don't care if you don't have an upcoming events page. It's not necessary. But if you do, make sure it's up to date, otherwise it's really irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    These kinds of errors would especially turn me off if I got the sense that the someone making those errors was in the business of creating websites and was fishing for sales by asking innocous-seeming questions about web marketing in general.
    I was waiting for someone else to notice that...
    Equine Web Design & Marketing
    designequine.org

1 members found this post helpful.

It never ceases to amaze me when people who are completely obtuse think they're being so sly. Especially people who make the same unusual grammar error on their own website and in their "sly" posts
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I hate when barns don't give any pricing information for board. Even if its something like "basic board starts at $850, please call for more information."

Just give me SOMETHING to work with. I don't want to waste your time if you're way out of my budget, and I also don't want to feel dumb if I'm looking for some under $800 and you start at $2k.

Plus, if that barn has a really nice facility or fancy horses for sale I might just automatically assume its out of my price and pass, even thought maybe its less than I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    What? But that would deprive us of spectacular trainwrecks like the lady claiming the picture of Leslie Howard was her! And then where would be?
    Where was this?! How did I miss that? Time to go searching...

Yes, I agree! For example, if I saw someone capitalizing "Equestrian Professionals" as though it was a proper noun-- that would drive me verifiably nuts....

http://www.equestrianedge.net/

Not very professional!
    Also, reading "This look like your office?" drives me crazy as well. That is not a completely sentence and makes the English major in me cringes.

2 members found this post helpful.

It never ceases to amaze me when people who are completely obtuse think they're being so sly. Especially people who make the same unusual grammar error on their own website and in their "sly" posts
    You're one smart cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Where was this?! How did I miss that? Time to go searching...
    See caffeinated's post #404 here. There's a lot of other good stuff in that thread, as well And shockingly, the original website in question still seems to exist, complete with pictures and ponies!

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    See caffeinated's post #404 here. There's a lot of other good stuff in that thread, as well And shockingly, the original website in question still seems to exist, complete with pictures and ponies!

Omg that is one dangerous link.. Found my entertainment for the next oooh month.

I managed to read through that thread AND the entire thread about Russian Roulett. Nothing like finals to make me desperate for distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    That is not a completely sentence and makes the English major in me cringes.
    This is priceless and will keep me amused for days. Are you really an English major?

Rel6, that sentence fragment made me twitchy wanting to fix it and I'm not an English major - I can only imagine what it did to you!

These kinds of errors would especially turn me off if I got the sense that the someone making those errors was in the business of creating websites and was fishing for sales by asking innocous-seeming questions about web marketing in general.
    What EVER gave you that idea???

I'm horse shopping, and I appreciate it when websites are up to date, have prices or price ranges clearly stated, are current with their happenings/events, and have good quality pictures.

IF you cannot maintain an up-to-date website, please keep your FB page up to date!

Quote Originally Posted by Equestrian Edge View Post
    A significant amount of professionals equestrians today have websites. However, most of them display outdated news and information.

In your opinion, how does an outdated website reflect on a professional you are looking to work with?

Also, why do you most often visit Trainers' websites?
    - for contact info?
    - see horses offered for sale?
    - check out services offered?
    - upcoming clinics or shows?
    - general news?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

I just changed to a completely different discipline. I did my research by looking online (goggling trainer's names, etc) and looking at websites. Outdated information frustrated me somewhat, but not too much. After all, these are horse trainers, and most would rather train and teach than try to figure out how to update the website, LOL.

I looked specifically on the 'news' pages, ie, what was happening currently. So & So was Champion at X show, etc. That showed me they were active. I looked at rates, past successes, etc. I read what they had to say about their program. That told me a lot. Were they interested in primarily pro horses? Or did they cater to kids? What about Amateurs? It really showed me their chosen direction.

I also look at the 'For Sale' pages. This shows me the level of horses they have in their program and that cycle through. Also the price ranges!

I also spent some time looking at their facility. I really appreciated those that posted pictures, or links.

Finally, I sent an email via the 'contact me' page of the site of the trainer I was interested in, explaining what I wanted, a brief background of my riding experience, and requesting a time I could come for a tour. The rest was history.

So to me, websites are crucial, but they don't have to be perfect. They do, however, have to give an accurate sense of the direction of the program, the trainers goals (show or pleasure, young horses, etc), and should come across as competently professional.

Yes, I agree! For example, if I saw someone capitalizing "Equestrian Professionals" as though it was a proper noun-- that would drive me verifiably nuts....

http://www.equestrianedge.net/

Not very professional!

Or using "amount" when "number" was actually the correct word. Excessive use of exclamation points!!!! Inconsistent caPitalizatiOn.

Makes me think the website is made by a kid... not an "Equestrian Professional" or (gasp) marketing guru.

This... all day long. Thanks for pointing it out so I didn't have to

1 members found this post helpful.