The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Monoflap Saddles in Canada

Does anyone know of Canadian websites that carry monoflap saddles in the 1500-2500$? Used is fine. So sick of trying to deal with customs and shipping is astronomical from the states, especially if just to try the saddle. Thanks!

www.heartlandsaddlery.com They're in Okotoks, AB. I'm pretty sure they carry some.

If you like the Equipe Expression saddle, the manufacturer does offer monoflap versions in this saddle "family".

Equi-Products does a lot of Equipe saddles so you might contact their saddle fitter

The Equipe Expression is a very nice saddle at that price point (definitely ask about used as well).

My experience with Heartland was that they really only want to sell saddles within a certain geographical area - I could book a barn appointment with the fitter (at a cost of several hundred $$ as I'm not on her usual trip circuit) but could not actually speak with her prior to the booked appointment to confirm that she would be able to bring any "likely to fit" saddles, nor was the person I was allowed to speak with willing to offer any opinion as to what demo saddles (if any) were available in a wide tree ... it was a very odd experience.
    (this was so bizarre that I confirmed this on 3 separate occasions over the course of a year - Heartland offers a nice selection of saddles online which is why I kept repeating my actions hoping for a different outcome )

In Ontario, Richvale saddlery in Schomberg carries some monoflaps you can buy new for under $2K iirc.

You could also try Baker's tack and see what they have. They might also have some on consignment. Carmen is fantastic to deal with. You send them pics of your horse and they also ship for trials.

You could also try Westgates in Winnipeg, MB. I used to live in the area and they carried a couple different kinds of mono flaps (forestier and now i have heard possibly antares?) plus consignment.

I sold one very quickly through The Tack Shoppe in Edmonton, they may have something for you.

Sorry to sort of hijack, but what is meant by a monoflap saddle? I feel silly for asking, but I see this and would love to know what it means!

I love my Equipe- Janice at Saddle Solutions did a great job of finding something that would fit me and my princess of a horse. I think Equi-Products fitter Donna is working with Black Country and possibly Hastilow and they both do mono-flap styles. I wouldn't recommend Heartland- too many people I know have had bad experiences waiting months and months for custom saddles to arrive to not have them work out.

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    You could also try Westgates in Winnipeg, MB. I used to live in the area and they carried a couple different kinds of mono flaps (forestier and now i have heard possibly antares?) plus consignment.
    Yes, Westgates in Headingley has Antares now!