The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drug testing and jogging riders for soundness

Edited because apparently the FEI already drug tests riders. So would you pass a PPE?

Would YOU pass a drug test? Jog sound?

I think that my Alieve and Voltaren would fall within the rules but I wouldn't jog sound if I had to use all four.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Dec. 11, 2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Ooops.

I haven't ever had an FEI level patient, so I had to read the prohibited meds & therapeutic use exemption info. the list has some routine meds that would require exemption-- like if you had asthma or a bad case of poison ivy and needed a steroid burst or taper.
    I've c&p the links below.

No comment on my personal pharmacy.

Too far? Well, it's info protected by HIPPA throughout the US. I understand the anti-doping rules, however. Guess, playing on the FEI scene makes your private health info no longer yours.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/World-Ant...ohibited-List/

http://www.feicleansport.org/faqs.html
    http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Wo...ry-2012_EN.pdf
    Last edited by La Chasse; Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: My iPad had a seizure
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I would not jog sound. I wouldn't even jog sound on a basic flexion test.

4 members found this post helpful.

The WADA rules have been in force for quite a while now. Is this something new?
    You are fine with your Ibuprophen etc.. but you do have to check the list.

Actually ,having read the list a year or so ago I was surprised what you were ALLOWED to have in your system..

I can't walk sound nor pass a scope w/ my wheeze..

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't they already do rider drug testing?? Or at least in show jumping correct?

P.

Of course they already test FEI riders.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I checked the list...seems pretty lax and common sense.

I'd jog sound, shod or barefoot.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post
    I haven't ever had an FEI level patient, so I had to read the prohibited meds & therapeutic use exemption info. the list has some routine meds that would require exemption-- like if you had asthma or a bad case of poison ivy and needed a steroid burst or taper.
    Or if you have high blood pressure and routinely take diuretics for it, if I read things right. Did I miss something? It seems like that would generate quite a few TUE requests right there, potentially. They're a pretty normal part of treatment for high blood pressure.

(And it is possible to be fit and healthy and have high blood pressure, if you have crummy genetics.)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    Or if you have high blood pressure and routinely take diuretics for it, if I read things right. Did I miss something? It seems like that would generate quite a few TUE requests right there, potentially. They're a pretty normal part of treatment for high blood pressure.

(And it is possible to be fit and healthy and have high blood pressure, if you have crummy genetics.)
    Diuretics can be used to eliminate illegal drugs from your system, thus the ban on that class of medication. However, if you file in advance a medical form with your doctor's explanation of your medical condition that requires that type of medication, you are OK. Same as filing horse's controlled medication form.

There are controlled medications, and then there are banned substances for horses as well as humans.

IE; humans cannot have pot ,cocaine, certain steroids, amphetamines etc..etc..banned substances.

Horses cannot have banned substances such as steroids, morphine, cocaine etc, in their blood (as a citizen of the U.S., thanks a bunch to whichever connection for allowing Mario DeLauriers' mount test positive for cocaine in an Olympic Qualifier. Don't know who was responsible ,but we all know who took the fall. Under FEI rules it would have been the rider. Not so under USEF rules.

The rules are quite clear for FEI competition. Check out the website.

USEF, however has not yet embraced the no tolerance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post

Correct. You saw diuretics on there- lasix, etc. bblockers are also on there too. And as Skydy said, you can have someone like me complete the form, write why you take the med (hypertension etc) and it seems like they will ok it. Not sure who reviews the statements & decides it it's legit or not- THAT I'd be interested to learn.

If its like the stupid ins companies (no offense if you are somehow affiliated) a random non-medically credentialled person reviews the case via a check list and decides your fate- (exception peer-to-peer review). Then, u could be screwed if u have to take a med that is more unusual for a usual condition.

Or maybe they have a good checklist.

Or if you are at the FEI level, maybe you are superhuman! And sure don't need my help.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

I'm pretty sure I would not pass the FEI drug test. It may have been that I was looking at the Olympic testing which I think is more strict, but I think it was FEI which I knew I couldn't pass. I am on a preventative steroid for my asthma, without which I would end up in the hospital regularly. Should I ever near FEI levels I will have a talk with my doctor, go over the list, and see if there's a management plan which would be "legal" or if I should settle for national level.

Some of the currently ongoing studies of ways to reduce asthma give me hope that they will be effective and accepted as medical alternatives to all the medicine I currently have to take to keep breathing.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I certainly couldn't pass a jog -- in fact, my surgeon said I'm not even allowed to jog (yeah, that really broke my heart, snork), so does a doctor's note count??

Many times when jogging for soundness for the vet before a race the vet said, the horse is fine, you need to go sit down!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Many times when jogging for soundness for the vet before a race the vet said, the horse is fine, you need to go sit down!
    My vet scared the life out of me one day. He was up looking at Rue, who had a bit of an over-reach. Wanted him trotting up.

So I did, and the vet goes. 'Yup, dead lame.' I thought he meant the horse. Nope, he was talking about me.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

5 members found this post helpful.

I would pass the jog and the drug test (at least normally, when I'm not full of generic DayQuil) but in no way would I pass a PPE. I have no desire to see xrays of my knees, spine, or shoulders But I am serviceably sound and can run a marathon and still jog sound the next day (plus bend enough to do my studs)!

Yup. I rarely ever even take ibuprofen, unless I have a migraine, and while I choose not to run on a regular basis, I'm "sound" for all normal intents and purposes (probably wouldn't pass a flexion test, but this is no PPE!).

Now, will I ever be competing at FEI level so that it might be a concern? Probably not.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    My vet scared the life out of me one day. He was up looking at Rue, who had a bit of an over-reach. Wanted him trotting up.

So I did, and the vet goes. 'Yup, dead lame.' I thought he meant the horse. Nope, he was talking about me.
    My vet would totally do that to me. Or, maybe not, because he knows I'd probably break down in tears if he said that.

It would depend on the day for me. Some days I'm fine, some days...not so much. Last week I did something horrible to my hamstrings which in turn did something horrible to my back. I was miserable, could barely walk...no way I could jog!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    My vet would totally do that to me. Or, maybe not, because he knows I'd probably break down in tears if he said that.

It would depend on the day for me. Some days I'm fine, some days...not so much. Last week I did something horrible to my hamstrings which in turn did something horrible to my back. I was miserable, could barely walk...no way I could jog!
    Sounds painful! Hope you're feeling better.

My vet is brill. I did almost cry though. Gotta admit that.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I can see the cartoon - a horse leading the rider on the jog test. Then the vet thumbs down.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

3 members found this post helpful.