The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage x Jumper bred. Am I crazy?

I'm looking at a possible free lease on a broodmare owned by a friend. She is big mover and huge bodied and very nicely dressage bred. She's produced a foal already who is coming 3 and is very balanced. Foal will be aimed at eventing but could succeed in pretty much anything. The mare has jumped a little bit and does have some natural ability.
    Pedigree:
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=
    Pics:
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._2011406_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._1669490_n.jpg
    (Best Confo shot I can find)
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._4325262_n.jpg
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._4661420_n.jpg

I'm looking to produce a jumper foal. I'm looking at more modern type stallions with a lot of TB blood to lighten her up. Any suggestions? Am I crazy to try and get a jumper out of these lines? Would I be better off looking for a hunter stallion?

Ideal foal would be a 1.30-1.40 jumper. It would be a horse for me as my gelding is getting older.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Is that first pseudo-confo pic of her showing her feet accurately? She looks to have minimally a low grade club foot - more than just a bit of a high/low syndrome going on, and for that reason alone I wouldn't breed her

Does her kid have that as well?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...43573475_n.jpg
    That's a better shot of her. Definitely not club footed.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Looking at her pedigree alone, she is bred dual-purpose. So if you ignore the mare all together, those bloodlines could produce both jumping and dressage.

However, from your pics, she does have a more dressage like conformation, and I didn't really love her jumping pic.

Do you have a video of her jumping? Its actually more relevant in producing a jumper foal then her bloodlines by themselves. Jumping ability is a lot more hereditary then dressage ability.

Having that said, I totally agree with JB's somment:
    Is that first pseudo-confo pic of her showing her feet accurately? She looks to have minimally a low grade club foot - more than just a bit of a high/low syndrome going on, and for that reason alone I wouldn't breed her

I don't have a jumping video and have not seen the mare in person. She is in NC and I am in CO. The lease would be with the owner. I'm glad to hear she's dual purpose bred. I don't know much about Hano lines (as opposed to SF and Hols.)

The 2yo filly has been free jumped and is very tidy.
    Here is the baby as a yearling
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...5_988730_n.jpg
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Thanks for the new pic. Still a bit of high/low, but certainly not what was deceiving in the first picture That said, I'd be very sure to pick a stallion with really good feet who also passes that on

Curious what it is about her conformation that says dressage to you rather than jumping. I'd have thought she looked like she'd make a fine jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Looking at her pedigree alone, she is bred dual-purpose. So if you ignore the mare all together, those bloodlines could produce both jumping and dressage.

However, from your pics, she does have a more dressage like conformation, and I didn't really love her jumping pic.

Do you have a video of her jumping? Its actually more relevant in producing a jumper foal then her bloodlines by themselves. Jumping ability is a lot more hereditary then dressage ability.

Having that said, I totally agree with JB's somment:

More upright shoulder, shaved off croup and upright hind end. This is not a mare for breeding jumpers.

Tim
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

1 members found this post helpful.

If you want to breed a jumper, then breed a mare that is bred to jump and can jump herself. Jumping is *highly* heritable. The poster Krallen is near Fort Collins - why not ask if she might lease one of her broodmares - you'd be able to see the baby grow!

Quote Originally Posted by RyTimMick View Post
    More upright shoulder, shaved off croup and upright hind end. This is not a mare for breeding jumpers.

Tim
    I wouldn't say those are traits that predispose for dressage, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    If you want to breed a jumper, then breed a mare that is bred to jump and can jump herself. Jumping is *highly* heritable. The poster Krallen is near Fort Collins - why not ask if she might lease one of her broodmares - you'd be able to see the baby grow!
    Thanks!! This is kind of what I was looking for. Bummer. I'll contact Krallen. I'd be looking at maybe a 2015 foal since I don't really have the budget for a baby at the moment
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    ]I'd be looking at maybe a 2015 foal since I don't really have the budget for a baby at the moment
    Definitely save up then and skip this "opportunity" - remember that whole line about there being "nothing free in life"? Foals can be as expensive as they are cute -_- Way easier to have the risk be on the breeder's end (like Krallen, for example) rather than in your lap with your friend's horse.
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

In this economy, there are lots of breeders who are looking to either sell or lease very good mares. I have one out on a lease right now and may lease another in 2013. If you want something who will produce jump, I think you can do better than this mare. I'd suggest looking at some Holsteiner mares with good production records.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Lotus T is just such a stallion

Holsteiner stallion, Lotus T is 70% TB and produces very leggy, elegant foals that always jump exceptionally well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4SfHHhoc_8

Agreed. I thought she was too light behind to be a good dressage prospect at the very least. I'd also want a bigger motor for a jumper and her jumping photos don't show a lot of apptitude to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SportArab View Post
    I wouldn't say those are traits that predispose for dressage, either.
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

Thanks for mentioning me Molly Malone :-)