The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which bridle would you choose?

I am asking Santa for a new bridle....no more than $200...I am considering the Smartpak Harwich, a Circuit from Dover, a Collegiate, or possibly a Red Barn Synergy from Ebay if it is still on. Can anyone who has these bridles tell me what they think? Also, I go cross country and trail riding a lot and my bridles get filthy after every ride. Is there any reason why more expensive bridles may be easier to keep clean? Thanks in advance

Both the Dover and Smartpak are lovely. Very nice for the price point, and oil up to be lovely pieces.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I don't have any of those brands. I did at one point have a Collegiate, but my memory is fuzzy as I was a small child
    ...however I would seriously considering adding an Ovation bridle to your list (if you haven't already ruled it out). Mine has become the designated "rain" bridle so it's fairly disgusting, but a few minutes spent cleaning it up and it looks brand new (and feels amazing)

I have the smartpak bridle. I've had it for a year and so far, so good. It looks and feels like a more expensive bridle than it is.

I have one of the Circuits that is raised. I have had it about 8 years. It has held up well. I am not really that good about cleaning my tack regularly. I will say that the padding part of the bridle darkened not quite as much as the rest of the bridle but it is very pretty. It has stayed supple and when I bother it is easy to clean and comes up nice.
    I too trail ride a lot and both my horses would get pretty sweaty. Finnegan likes to splash in creeks and will dunk his face in to above the noseband. The leather has not dried out and I frequently don't run home and condition it even when it has been dunked or sweated on.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Default Mum's the word!

Do not reveal our identity!

We might have a stubben you can have.
    We thought about this after we emailed you.

Shhhhh! No telling anyone.

We'll email you tomorrow. Let us know which horse it is for.

Hey Eleanor, I think you have me confused with someone else. You have not emailed me nor do i want a saddle. but thanks anyway

You might want to try something from Nun Finer. Their leather pieces are well-priced and absolutely beautiful. It oils up very soft, is durable, and their bridles are well styled. Although you might think of them as strictly an event brand, they do carry bridles for hunters and jumpers (I have my eye on one for next season, in fact!).

If you are a creative ebayer and you can wait, you can probably find something really nice for that price. (French, or?)

You might try Premier Tack Outlet, or the closeouts section of World Equestrian Brands.

Edited to add: it might be a stretch (although they are currently having a sale!) but the bridles from Five Star Tack are really nice, too.

Higher-quality bridles aren't easier to clean, they just clean up better.

Lol, I have obviously spent too much time shopping around for bridles.

Happy bridle hunting!
    Last edited by bluebuckets; Dec. 11, 2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: more info

I LOVE my SmartPak Harwich. And I'm a leather snob. I like it better then Nunn Finers and Red Barns (which I've handled in person) and I find Collegiates to be sub-par. I school in my Harwich but also own an ADT Imperial. The Harwich is a thirsty leather, but it's not plasticy/coated like so many nowadays (even expensive brands!) and it actually smells like leather too

There's a 15% off SmartPak coupon for orders over $199 for the next two days WINTER12. Probably works for the bridle (sometimes they exclude brands), just add a few extra goodies and then it will be a HAPPY holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    Hey Eleanor, I think you have me confused with someone else. You have not emailed me nor do i want a saddle. but thanks anyway
    We are warmblood elves. And we know you and your 2 horses through our owner. Think about that. Besides, we just emailed you. And we have lots of bridles. Yours will be a gift if you want it. (We bought some new arc de triomphes although we don't like to wear bridles and bits. Warmbloods don't like to work. We like to play.) It's great though, that our cover is so deep, that you didn't recognize us as elves, LOL LOL.

BTW our stubbens are bridles. (and we also have the halters.) we don't own stubbed saddles, although they are good.
    But we do know all the trouble you had finding a saddle to fit you and your mare. And are glad you did finally find one. (Yes, we know how many saddles you tried out and which one you bought.)
    Last edited by WildandWickedWarmbloods; Dec. 11, 2012 at 05:59 AM.

I also have a Harwich and have for at least 2 years maybe longer and it still looks new. I LOVE it! If the price hadn't jumped up to what it is now, $50 more than I spent when it first came out, I'd buy more of them!!! I definitely recommend!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I had the Harwich and did not like the quality of it at all. It was deceptively cardboardy.

I highly recommend anything from the Aramas or Americana lines from Harmon Kraft. That is beautiful leather!

I also love my Red Barn dressage bridle, and the one well-used Red Barn fancy stitched bridle in the tack room is gorgeous.

I sold my Harwich on eBay and bought a used Aramas bridle.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!