The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which bridle is of higher qhality?

I am asking Santa for a new bridle....no more than $200...I am considering the Smartpak Harwich, a Circuit from Dover, a Collegiate, or possibly a Red Barn Synergy from Ebay if it is still on. Can anyone who has these bridles tell me what they think? Also, I go cross country and trail riding a lot and my bridles get filthy after every ride. Is there any reason why more expensive bridles may be easier to keep clean? Thanks in advance

I have a Collegiate bridle, the quality is fine. The leather is not as nice as a super expensive bridle, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Bobby's English Tack are nice quality, not high cost, bridles. Nicer than Collegiate.

Get a Bridleway bridle! They're a brand newish company (although their parent company, Shires, has been around) and I won one of the bridles in COTH's 75th Anniversary giveaway. They are right around $120 or so, and I was expecting nothing special but a decent useable bridle.

But the bridle is just GORGEOUS. Gets compliments from everyone in the barn. It came out of the package soft, and softened with use into just this buttery confection of leatherwork. I could not recommend them any higher. WAY nicer than the Smartpak brides in a similar price range, definitely nicer than Collegiate, and nicer than most of the Bobby's bridles I've seen too.

I'd go with something made by Bartville Harness or a Bobby's before I'd use any of the brands you mentioned (with the possible exception of Smartpak). Both Bartville and Bobby's sell bridles for well under $200, and they give you a much bigger bang for your buck IMO.

Is Bobby's a brand or a store? Where would I find one? I tried to find out more about Bartville but it appears they are a store with no product info on line.

Dover's mid price stuff is nicer than Smartpak's. I had a bad experience w/ a mid price Smartpak bridle copiously bleeding dye. After a month - never stopped bleeding- I returned it. The leather quality was not particularly nice either.

I do not own a Circuit bridle, but I have touched them in the store and the leather quality is nice. Nicer than my Vespucci.

Bobby's bridles are great! I have one that I bought used in 1989 and its still going fairly strong!

Bobby's is a brand.

They have their own website but my virus program is telling me access denied, malicious link.

There are several new Bobby's bridle on eBay at fair prices http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...temCondition=3

I cannot find a website for them.

I got my Bobby's bridle through Tackzone: http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/index.php
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

For what it's worth, I've been VERY impressed with the Schneiders (sstack.com) pinnacle and Joseph Sterling bridles in terms of what you get for the price. The sterling leather is a bit nicer than the pinnacle (which is what I'd expect on a much more expensive bridle) but even the sterling is not bad - I'd say on par or better than Smart Pak or Nunn Finer, at a lower price point.

The bridles are also nicely designed with features (comfort crown) that I'd expect to find on a more expensive bridle.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Get a Bridleway bridle! They're a brand newish company (although their parent company, Shires, has been around) and I won one of the bridles in COTH's 75th Anniversary giveaway. They are right around $120 or so, and I was expecting nothing special but a decent useable bridle.

But the bridle is just GORGEOUS. Gets compliments from everyone in the barn. It came out of the package soft, and softened with use into just this buttery confection of leatherwork. I could not recommend them any higher. WAY nicer than the Smartpak brides in a similar price range, definitely nicer than Collegiate, and nicer than most of the Bobby's bridles I've seen too.
    Neat. Link?

It's not these guys, I don't think?

http://www.bridlewayequestrian.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Neat. Link?

It's not these guys, I don't think?

http://www.bridlewayequestrian.com/
    Yes, it is those guys! Click on "Online store" and then Bridlework. I have the Melton Raised Bridle.

Here is my lovely mare wearing it:
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...92944982_n.jpg

That is the dark brown color...it's a true, rich dark brown, looks almost black in certain lights.

I LOVE IT!

My favorite butter-soft bridle is/was a closeout Beval and it has lasted over ten years. It was also well within that price range. I LOVE bridle shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I got my Bobby's bridle through Tackzone: http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/index.php
    If you do go the Bobby's route, which I highly recommend (I've had two) in this price range make sure you go for one of the one's labeled "15##". They're made out of English leather and are lovely which the others (which don't tell you where the leather is from" tend to bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    I'd go with something made by Bartville Harness or a Bobby's before I'd use any of the brands you mentioned (with the possible exception of Smartpak). Both Bartville and Bobby's sell bridles for well under $200, and they give you a much bigger bang for your buck IMO.
    Bartville-definitley. A REAL bridle, not those flimsy, thin things that look pretty in the show ring. A real hunting bridle that is beautifully made and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    Is Bobby's a brand or a store? Where would I find one? I tried to find out more about Bartville but it appears they are a store with no product info on line.
    Bartville Harness in PA is a harness shop owned and run by an Amish family. Phone number is 717-529-6992. Call between 8 and 8:15 am (I think) and aske to be sent a catalog.
    Last edited by Dispatcher; Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeucesWild11 View Post
    My favorite butter-soft bridle is/was a closeout Beval and it has lasted over ten years. It was also well within that price range. I LOVE bridle shopping.
    10 years? that's nothing. Mine is over 40 and still beautiful. Most of the other bridles I use are well over 20 and in fine shape. A bridle darn well better last more than 10 years. Especially at the price of a Beval.

If you want to see what the Bartville Harness bridles look like, just check out the Bit of Britain website and look at all of their Nunn Finer tack. The Nunn Finer tack comes from Bartville (which is actually located up the road from BoB). You'll save a TON of money if you order the bridle from Bartville instead of BoB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    10 years? that's nothing. Mine is over 40 and still beautiful. Most of the other bridles I use are well over 20 and in fine shape. A bridle darn well better last more than 10 years. Especially at the price of a Beval.
    My Beval cost 70 bucks.

You might want to look at the Horze bridles too. I think the leather quality is nice for a under $100 price point. Certainly not "top quality" but a nice soft, supple leather. The Venice bridle is what I have. Just thought I'd throw one more brand into the mix!