The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I ride with fibromyalgia so its a constant chore to get to the barn though I do love riding my horse and have a great situation. I find that for me I need to keep a journal with small goals for the week (ie- work on transitions) after consultation with my trainer. For me I also take lessons most weeks to check in and not let things get worse if there is an issue. I also give myself permission to just walk or keep it light. Once I'm in the saddle I usually want to do more. Its a hard time of year for me since its very wintery. I have to relax my schedule to account for not being able to get there.

So for me, I have internal motivation just a body that isn't allowing me to achieve what I would prefer. I'm 32. Sometimes you just have to go out and do it in a way that YOU want, not a trainer, not your friends.

Get a western saddle and go trial riding... I think we should all have a "off switch" and do something different.

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely not alone. I have completely dropped my mojo on multiple occasions.

Like you, I had a drama-trauma drive me away from riding for a bit- only for me, it was my horse and life and all that. I loved the barn. But I was so ashamed at the way my life had turned out, and feeling like I let my horse down, once he was retired with his former owner, I took a five year hiatus from horses. I didn't even touch them, or look at them, etc.

When I started obsessing again, I knew it was time to come back. But I didn't come back to riding hunter-jumpers and dabbling in dressage- I found a random on Craigslist who wanted someone to come ride her WP/trail horses. She also ran a rescue- she's now one of my dearest friends, and I ended up finding most of my joy in just working with horses. I didn't fall in love with every horse I rode, but I enjoyed doing it! My whole perspective on riding and training and showing changed completely- now I focus just on enjoying time with the ponies.

I love, love, love training my big red OTTB when he's sound, but some of the most fun I've had was riding the all-arounders and just poodling around. Doing bareback dressage, or riding without a bridle in the indoor, or the times I grabbed a bridle, jumped on a horse in the pasture, and just rode. The other night, I ground drove for the first time, and I just thought it was spectacular. You would've thought I invented it! LOL My point is- change your perspective. I still go through periods where I love doing the barn chores, but don't care to tack up or even lunge the horse. So I start thinking of things I can do with him that are fun, like hand walking him on the trails, or learning showmanship, or grazing him by the pond and talking to him like he's my psychotherapist! YMMV, but it helps me reclaim the "magic."

Do you have a good riding buddy?
    When I am at school I ride every day and my roommate usually goes with me, we carpool and always have a great time. This semester when I have been gone she said she has only ridden about 1x a month because it is boring to ride alone!
    We try to do lots of different things with our horses too, some days we will just trail ride or take lunch to the barn and graze our horses They are suppose to be fun after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Do you have a good riding buddy?
    When I am at school I ride every day and my roommate usually goes with me, we carpool and always have a great time. This semester when I have been gone she said she has only ridden about 1x a month because it is boring to ride alone!
    We try to do lots of different things with our horses too, some days we will just trail ride or take lunch to the barn and graze our horses They are suppose to be fun after all!
    NO, and I think that may be a huge part of the problem. I come out after work during the week and I guess everyone else at the barn rides during the day because apparently they don't have jobs to be at on weekdays (?), so I'm almost always riding alone, in the dark, which is boring....and a little bit intimidating.

It's really bizarre to me that there aren't more people riding at night - seriously, how do they pull that off? At my old barn, it always got busy around 6pm when everyone would get off work and go out to ride before going home for the night.

2 members found this post helpful.

I do think you should really try to find a barn that has an active evening clientele. It will make a world of difference. Of course you are bored riding alone. Most of us would be. Good luck!
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Dec. 14, 2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Oops bold
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    I have felt this way with other hobbies and activities in my life too. Sometimes taking time off is needed, and sometimes just a change can do wonders - how about trying a new discipline?
    I had much the same problem. AFter 40+ years H/J and Dressage, I changed disciplines. Something comepletely, totally different. I'm truly excited to ride again. Completely new people, horses, and different ways of thinking. I'm sure there is garbage there, but I don't know it, LOL! It's a delight to go out to the barn, and I'm so excited to ride.

There are many, many lovely horses out there for you to meet, and new people as well. Because you know how to ride, the transition to whatever you want to do is fairly easy, but still enough of a challenge to be interesting. You'll find the people are helpful, and eager to introduce you to their discipline. Be open minded and explore a whole new world.

Quote Originally Posted by LostMyMojo View Post

It's really bizarre to me that there aren't more people riding at night - seriously, how do they pull that off? At my old barn, it always got busy around 6pm when everyone would get off work and go out to ride before going home for the night.

Same here. It's changed at my H/J trainers barn. I stop by to see our retired mare, and nobody is there! It used to be humming until 9 or so. Can't figure it out.

Riding is social - both for the horses and the people. That's part of the fun of it. If noboby from the barn is there, take a friend with you, just for the company.

yes, having a friend to ride with really helps! Especially when it gets dark at 2pm-- oh I mean 4:30. LOL

I have always been at boarding barns....I moved to a barn where I am the ONLY boarder...and I definitely ride a lot less. In addition to that, I lost two of my mares last year (one to colic, one to renal failure) . But, I think the thing that makes it the hardest to go ride is not having that social aspect. Any riding clubs in your area? Even something you aren't particularily interested in would get you riding and meeting people! I know where I live, there are a lot of scheduled trail rides, something like that has a ton of people and it is low-pressure.

I know exactly what your going through. I went through a very bad time last year, I really wondered what all the hard work I did through the years was for. I took down all my ribbons, sold my show clothes and just trail rode, swore I'd never compete again.
    Truth is it never really died like I thought, after about a year break I started to miss it. Now I have a new horse, and am starting to train again.
    Some people take longer than others but the love of riding never really dies.