The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Rumor has it that weed is the CA's largest cash crop. And many are setting up grow rooms in rented houses owned by banks when folks hurt in the housing crisis walked.

A well-run dope operation is not an enormous threat to a neighborhood. Those guys want to mind their own business... quietly.

Meth labs and their people are much more SWAT-worthy, IMO.
    Oh it wasn't a grow house, the police only raided when the house owner's meth dealing sister was visiting between jail sentences.

I live in a small town where pretty much every single home has dogs that live in the yard, either tied up or behind a fence. These dogs apparently get zero stimulation other than barking at anything and everything they see. Makes walking my well-behaved dogs a little tiresome. And this happens every single day, every single time I walk my dogs. I can't count how many times we've come around the corner of a block and been charged by some Hound of the Baskervilles who sounds like he'd like to tear our throats out. The best is when they're only behind an invisible fence, so you get dragged away by two frightened 70-lb dogs while peeing your pants.

I know this isn't your situation, as your dogs were apparently inside the house. And honestly, barking back at a barking dog is about the dumbest thing I can imagine.

But when I have been that person attempting to walk around the town quietly, and I get charged at every fence and barked at the entire time, well let me tell you, that gets really old, really fast.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Kadenz, I hear you. Same thing happens to me when I walk.

My dogs really have adapted well to having so much pedestrian/dog traffic in close proximity since our move. But every once in awhile, someone/something does get them riled up.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Sometimes I think hubs and I are the ONLY people in our town who WALK our dogs! Whenever we go for a *real* walk (as opposed to a quickie pee/poop), I swear the entire canine population of our town gets riled up.

Which is just to say that probably all smallish, ruralish towns are alike.

Well, if you're in a rural-ish area, I'm not surprised. We never really walked our dogs when they had full run of the yard with their dog door and invisible fence and such. But living in town now, we walk at least twice a day.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Well the area is mostly rural, but we live in a very small town. I think it's just the culture here that dogs live in yards, and don't get taken places or do anything. I grew up on a farm in the country, but we didn't treat our dogs like ceramic lawn ornaments. I find it odd that people buy a dog and expect it to just sit in their yard alone.

Which of course they don't do. They bark incessantly, dig holes, escape, terrorize the neighbors, run free through the town, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

Both dogs are now lying at my feet and being good. But I had half a mind to pop out the door and show them that there was actually someone HOME here and not pleased. However, I am unarmed and home alone so I didn't.
    Uh, unless the "ladies" looked as though they might be packing heat, I frankly do not understand why you had only "half a mind to" or were afraid to "pop out the door" & politely ask them to stop taunting your dogs.

No need to be nasty about it, but a polite "please stop fooling with my dogs" with a smile might have done more than doing absolutely nothing at all besides contacting your landlord.