The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are people just idiots? Dog related.

We just moved into town a few weeks ago. It's taken some adjustment for the dogs as far as getting used to all the traffic past the house. For the most part, they are doing great!

But every once in awhile, like 2 min ago, some idiots go by and taunts the dogs. I have the windows open because it's warm here so I heard it all.

Dogs barked once as these people approached our door to put yet another flier in. Then the people, about 5 ladies, middle aged, started BARKING AT THE DOGS. WTH?

So the dogs are going nuts, I'm trying to quiet them before the neighbor flips out (we share a wall) and these women just keep barking at the dogs!

Are people just idiots or a-holes? Why do that? Makes no bloody sense to me. I would get it more if it were kids, which happens from time to time given that there's a school across from the house...but grownups?

Both dogs are now lying at my feet and being good. But I had half a mind to pop out the door and show them that there was actually someone HOME here and not pleased. However, I am unarmed and home alone so I didn't.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

People ARE idiots. Especially packs of people.

I would open the door and shame them into shutting up. Adults know better. Shame works pretty well on them Not so well on teenagers.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I feel confident in my ability to shame teenagers. I'm well versed in that. I have the "mom" look and voice nailed. BUt grownups? WTH? Good gravy.

Yes. Without a doubt.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I bet The Mom Look would have worked on the (childlike) adults just fine

And, yes, people by & large are asshats.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I have seen people barking at dogs!!!!

I don't get it either. Most often kids.....I cannot fathom adults who bark at dogs.

I think I would have put in an appearance...."May I help you?" or some icily polite thing.

I sent an email to the land lady to explain in case the next door neighbor lady who complains about EVERYTHING complains. They don't like her anyway and I'm on pretty good terms with both her and the land owners, so there shouldn't be a problem, but cripes.

I'm here with nothing more than mace. I'm not going to venture in to a bunch of hairy looking individuals knowing that no one will be home for hours to say....take my body to the morgue.

Call me crazy but certain people set off my dogs and they set me off too.

Grrr.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

People are just odd around here. They really really are. I'll tell you some stories about odd behaviour I see when I walk my dog.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Didn't you move down south, BuddyRoo? A nice, drawling "Well, bless your heart..." will probably have those ladies running

She lives near me and though this place does have a lot of Southerners, it's not Southern.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, people are total idiots.

Landlady's response just in: call the cops or blow 'em away.

LOL. She's a hoot.

3 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps a "Beware of Dogs" sign in the window would help. One strategy that works well around here is making it look like you're not home. Then people don't bother coming to your door because they already know you aren't there and can't be sold on anything they are offering.

A really loud "Hey what the F&#@ do you think your doing" out the window might work. If it's loud and sharp enough you may be able to make one wet their pants. I just cannot tolerate people who think it's funny to tease dogs.
    Last edited by Crackerdog; Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Are people just idiots or a-holes? Why do that?...

But I had half a mind to pop out the door and show them that there was actually someone HOME here and not pleased. However, I am unarmed and home alone so I didn't.
    You should get your whole mind, your cell phone in one hand and your balls in the other, swing the door open wide (with your third hand) and ask the people this question.

Or just open the door fast and hard with the universal "WTF?" expression on your face.

Either one will stop them in their tracks, I reckon.

I can't believe you think you need to have a gun and a bodyguard to get this done. Chances are, you'll surprise and embarrass the barking ladies.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

So did they leave the flyer? Cause if so, I'd be on the phone to the company/organization they are shilling for in a hot minute.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

7 members found this post helpful.

I agree with laying for them with the lights out. I had some "hunters" come by my farm last year spotlighting deer. I was out in back feeding when they came by and started blasting away, yards from the bedroom where DH was sleeping (he gets up at 3:30 am to go to work so goes to bed early).

I came running around the side of the house screaming like a banshee and they took off. After I walked around to make sure they hadn't wounded a deer and left it, I hid in the shadows of my porch and waited on them to come back.

When I leapt out of the shadows the second time they left for good and all. Haven't seen 'em since.

Do you have a way to light up the whole yard at one time, as you fling open the door and demand in ringing tones what the fruitbat they think they're doing?

3 members found this post helpful.

Slight sidetrack, but you reminded me of a funny memory. Oddly enough, a lot of otherwise normal-seeming adults feel the urge to moo at cows. When I was 16, I worked in a tourist hack stable leading short, guided trail rides. The path to and from the barn passed near a ragged old fence, on the other side of which was referred to as "the heifer field". And, yes, invariably and to the bovine puzzlement of the inhabitants, most of the people I was guiding would moo at the cows in that neighboring field.

No big deal, until the day we discovered the owner had installed a bull who was distinctly unamused by a bunch of fools on horseback mooing at his ladies. A wee bit of pandamonium ensued as he began shoving his way through the fence and the smarter half of our group panicked. The dumber half just kept mooing at the 'friendly cow' who was 'coming to say "Hello"'. <face palm>
    ---------------------------

4 members found this post helpful.

I like Long Spot's answer.

So sorry you have to deal with this, OP. Do they bark like in fun? Like some people when they're driving and go past cows say "Mooooo."

Or were they angry-like?