The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Animo Rain Pants

After ruining countless pairs of whites this year, I've decided that rain pants are a nessecary investment

However, after countless hours of searching on the internet the only rain pants (let alone white ones) that I can find are the Animos, which are a whopping $600 . Anyone else have other brands they'd recommend? Or a source that you can get the animo pants from for a more reasonable price?

Or, for anyone who does have the pants, are they really worth the money?

Thanks in advance

Animo stuff makes me drool...though I haven't seen the rain pants.

That said, for the item that is going to get mucky and disgusting, cheaper is probably better, right?
    http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...eeches,/Detail

Grand Prix makes track pant style rain pants (for riding, they end at the top of your boots) in both beige and white. They are FABULOUS! I live on the "wet" coast and get a lot of use out of them every show season. They are a little ugly but we get so much rain here that everyone shows in them anyways if it's really dumping. They are about $100 if I recall correctly.

ETA link

http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=DRC1220

Quote Originally Posted by Pally View Post
    Animo stuff makes me drool...though I haven't seen the rain pants.

That said, for the item that is going to get mucky and disgusting, cheaper is probably better, right?
    http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...eeches,/Detail
    Those are awesome!

The Grand Prix ones are great. I also saw Kerrits has some (they call them Knickers), but I haven't actually seen them in person so can't tell you more than that. I was thinking about getting a pair of the Kerrits ones for riding at home as they come in black (the GP only have tan and white).

ETA Smartpak also has some, but with mixed reviews for sizing. http://www.smartpakequine.com/rain-o...x?cm_vc=Search

Smartpak also has rain pants called rain overtrousers for $90

Im from England- Don't bite!

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    The Grand Prix ones are great. I also saw Kerrits has some (they call them Knickers), but I haven't actually seen them in person so can't tell you more than that. I was thinking about getting a pair of the Kerrits ones for riding at home as they come in black (the GP only have tan and white).

ETA Smartpak also has some, but with mixed reviews for sizing. http://www.smartpakequine.com/rain-o...x?cm_vc=Search
    Grand Prix are great. Daughter has a white pair and they wash easily as well. I think they were under 120, bought at Spruce a few years ago. Bet you can find them for less.

I haven't tried the Kerrits rain knickers but have been thinking of getting them for wet hunting days. It looks like they have a full seat made of some sort of synthetic leather material...might be better for schooling instead of sitting on the slippery nylon.

I bought a pair of the GP rain pants when I was up at Spruce a few summer back...and of course it hasn't rained since while I show so I haven't worn them yet. But I always make sure to pack them in my car!!
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I must be really ghetto because when I worked as a wrangler I just threw on north face waterproofs (same ones I used for hillwalking in Scotland) over my jeans/breeches would be fine too and off I went. I guess you may have a hard time and look really strange stuffing them into half chaps....But they work. And are very waterproof, and even being north face are cheaper than all of the above options.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Only thing on the Kerrits knickers, I noticed the description says "water resistant" rather than waterproof, so they may not be as protective as what I would want. I still might try them to see as I would like the black for here at home rather than beige of the GP pants.