The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Questions about workout report

I recently bought an OTTB from Finger Lakes. Love the horse, he's doing great, I have no issues with him. I was just looking into his past just for kicks and purchased his workout report from Brisnet. There are no workouts for Finger Lakes, just the other tracks he was at. Is this normal? He was moved to FL this spring and raced 3 times before being bought. I can't imagine he would have no workouts in between the 3 last races...

I also noticed that he raced 2x at FL in 2010, again no workouts recorded there but at Saratoga. Would a trainer keep a horse at Saratoga and then trailer to FL for a race (the first race he broke his maiden, the 2nd an Allowance race a month later)?

Also, what to the fractions mean in the last column? I see the date, length and times, that's about all I can decipher.

First I am not sure by your post if you bought your horse’s Past Performance also call PPs which would give the horses complete detailed race record or just his Works report which just gives date, distance, time and a comment, handily, breezing, etc. Workouts usually can be had for free from Equinline.com or the Daily Racing Form. Unless it is “dated”. As far as your horse not having any works between races it really depends on the trainer and or horse. If his races were fairly close together it would not be unusual not to have any works. Especially for an older horse with a lot of experience. The wear and tear isn’t necessary.
    I don’t use Brisnet so with out a “visual” of what you are talking about I can’t help. Brisnet should have a link on their website that will go into detail and explanation.

In most cases if a horse is stabled at track A and shipped to race at Track B, he won't work over track B. The exceptions usually involve very big races like the Kentucky Derby or a Breeders Cup race.

Some horses race into shape and only gallop, never breezing between races. It's more common at lower levels. I've seen horses with 12 races on the page and not a single workout.

I'm in NY and follow NYRA and Finger Lakes daily. If you send me his name I can give you a more informed opinion. My guess is that he was training in Saratoga (training track is open from April to November) and shipping to the 'Lakes to race.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I second Linny. Also, the fraction (ex 3/24) would be where the horse ranked in relation to the other horses works at the same distance that day - so say 3 horses worked : A went 4 furlongs in 48.6, B went 4f in 49.0, C went 4f in 48.2 - then A would rank 2/3 , B 3/3, C 1/3
    Hopefully that makes sense.

Just because he didn't have a published workout, it doesn't mean he didn't work.
    Tracks require a published workout if the horse has not raced in so
    many days. It just depends on the track. Some require a published workout
    every 30 days, some every 60 days with no races in between.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    First I am not sure by your post if you bought your horse’s Past Performance also call PPs which would give the horses complete detailed race record or just his Works report which just gives date, distance, time and a comment, handily, breezing, etc. Workouts usually can be had for free from Equinline.com or the Daily Racing Form.
    Here is the Brisnet "sample" for the Workout report: http://www.brisnet.com/samples/head_wrkhorse.html

I will check out the other sites, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    In most cases if a horse is stabled at track A and shipped to race at Track B, he won't work over track B. The exceptions usually involve very big races like the Kentucky Derby or a Breeders Cup race.

Some horses race into shape and only gallop, never breezing between races. It's more common at lower levels. I've seen horses with 12 races on the page and not a single workout.

I'm in NY and follow NYRA and Finger Lakes daily. If you send me his name I can give you a more informed opinion. My guess is that he was training in Saratoga (training track is open from April to November) and shipping to the 'Lakes to race.
    That makes sense about the shipping between the 2 tracks, I just didn't know if it was common practice. My guy has only 13 races under his belt at various tracks (Belmont, Saratoga, Aqueduct and FL). His JC name is Brolio, he's the 2007 model by Black Minnaloushe, out of Joanne W.

I know he's got a break in training/racing after his last race of 2011 after being walked off the track, I'm trying to find out more info about what exactly happened. He passed his PPE with flying colors and is sound now, I just like to have a history in case anything crops up down the line.

It's possible that his problem in his last start was respiratory, not something "soundness" related.

Unless you are planning on his having a 4* eventing career, his respiratory system will never be taxed as it was when he raced.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    It's possible that his problem in his last start was respiratory, not something "soundness" related.

Unless you are planning on his having a 4* eventing career, his respiratory system will never be taxed as it was when he raced.
    He does have an enlarged "gland" under his throatlatch area. I had a vet who rides at our barn give it a cursory look, she told me to keep an eye on it. Doesn't seem to bother him at the moment. I did find the race replay from that one at Saratoga. Looks like he was bumped in the beginning out of the gate, squished to the back of the pack and just faded back there, doesn't look like a serious leg issue as he was cantering evenly (from what little I can see) towards the end of the race. Definitely something to keep an eye on!