The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone tried Feed XL horse nutrition software?

If yes, do you like it, is it useful, does it give you sufficient flexibility to do reasonably detailed analysis?

I just did it for the first time last night, and really liked it! I really love (or do I?) the cost breakdown it gives you of everything you are feeding. The more information you have to put in, the better the program will work for you.

I like being able to have all the grain and supplements layed out on the screen for me to see, and being able to adjust things to save money/not have too much or too little of something.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

If I'm thinking I need to make big changes to my feeding program (new horse, etc.) then I usually sign up for a 30-day trial and run multiple options through their calculator, saving the relevant information for planning. Since my hay is extremely consistent (same source) year to year and my horses are not complicated nutritionally, I don't have any use for a full-time subscription. But it is nice to use when I do use it to figure out a new program!
    Click here before you buy.

I thought it was great. They'd even add your local feed tag to their system. I got a new horse and didn't figure out how to add her

Thanks all, will sign up tomorrow. I just finished reading a book on nutrition and researching all the feed contents etc, and was thinking of putting it all into Excel but this seemed easier so will give it a go.