The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

VV may match the free shipping but only certain products qualify for free shipping and if your total is under $60 you still have a $7 handling fee. And then dont forget to add in the freight cost which is on anything over 5lbs basically so anything more than a 1 month supply is going to have a freight cost which is NOT waived.

When I buy from SP, even if it is a couple of dollars more a month, I am not just seeing dollars and cents going out for a supplement. I am paying for their excellent CS, free shipping regardless of weight or size, free return shipping on any sized products, being able to call and have a live person answer who knows my name before I even speak, knows my horses and what supplements they are on. The free embroidery is an added bonus. I could go on but when seeing what you are getting for your cost, you are getting more than just a supplement. But in the end, you (general you) have to see those things being worth the cost. For some, the cost and bottom line are #1 and everything else is not really a priority. Which is fine. And yes, everyone is able to choose who they give their business too but I certainly dont see their cost increase being wrong or malicious. My SP cost went up too but again, for me, the value to me is more than just the supplements.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Make them up yourself in small tupperware containers. Much cheaper.
    This what I do. Works well.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    I am curious if anyone makes their own using those xtra large pill containers.
    Seems like they would be big enough especially if you split them up...?
    http://www.amazon.com/EZY-Dose-Jumbo...pill+organizer

Cheap, easy to open, reusable, and already labeled per day of use.

These look neat - detachable too
    http://www.arthritissupplies.com/jum...-pill-box.html
    Its funny you asked this as the exact same idea popped into my head while reading this thread! Interested to know if anyone uses them as well...
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Re the large pill containers--I don't think they'd be big enough. I have one that is identical to the attached picture (not positive it's the same size, but
    I think it is) and mine would not be big enough for even 1 dose of supplement. I can certainly give it a try and report back just to be sure!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can see why barn owners like Smart Pak. The barn where I board my riding horse has over 40 horses. Even with SmartPak and the other boarders who bag/package their own, the supplementation adds at least 30 mins to the feeding process. My BO does not charge extra but I could see why she would. The Smartpak products are definitely easier on her and her help. Everyones costs have gone up including Smartpak. It is not surprising to me to see an increase.
    Last edited by tradewind; Dec. 10, 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    VV may match the free shipping but only certain products qualify for free shipping and if your total is under $60 you still have a $7 handling fee. And then dont forget to add in the freight cost which is on anything over 5lbs basically so anything more than a 1 month supply is going to have a freight cost which is NOT waived.

When I buy from SP, even if it is a couple of dollars more a month, I am not just seeing dollars and cents going out for a supplement. I am paying for their excellent CS, free shipping regardless of weight or size, free return shipping on any sized products, being able to call and have a live person answer who knows my name before I even speak, knows my horses and what supplements they are on. The free embroidery is an added bonus. I could go on but when seeing what you are getting for your cost, you are getting more than just a supplement. But in the end, you (general you) have to see those things being worth the cost. For some, the cost and bottom line are #1 and everything else is not really a priority. Which is fine. And yes, everyone is able to choose who they give their business too but I certainly dont see their cost increase being wrong or malicious. My SP cost went up too but again, for me, the value to me is more than just the supplements.
    I agree and will also point out the convenience of having the SPs delivered automatically. I am not a fan of missing the timing of a re-order and having to go without something for a while.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Eh, the cost of my SPs went up, too - and I do feed Succeed. I don't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't enough to make much of an impression, obviously. And it's not as if I can afford to throw money around willy nilly (Seriously, if there was a cheaper way to keep my horse from colicking every other day, I'd be all over it). I figure it's the price I pay for the convenience.

I feed the horses at my barn three days a week, but on the other days it's just a farmer's kid from up the road. Easier on everybody to have the SmartPaks in labeled drawers. I don't have to worry about my horse getting the wrong amount of something, BO doesn't have to explain complicated feeding protocols, barn workers just have to match the labeled Paks up to the right horses, and I can add or subtract a supplement without having to confuse everyone. I'm willing to pay for the ease of feeding. Everyone has their own line, though.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

What about keeping your smart pak order as it is (in one bunch) and making sure the ulcer supplement (I'm unfamiliar with this one) is the right amount for ONE meal. Then buy a bucket of the ulcer supplement...

Feed the smartpak in the AM and the single scoop (or whatever) from the bucket in the PM. That shouldn't be too hard for your barn to keep straight...

I, personally, love smartpak and if I were a larger barn owner would also. Much better than baggies.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I had to quit using SPs because the barn I am at doesn't recycle. That's a deal breaker for me even though I HATE refilling supplements every couple of weeks. I also loved the auto ship.

I know there was a thread back sometime ago about the containers not being recycled, but I remember seeing the #1 on the bottom at one time. Even if the containers are no longer recyclable, that's still a deal breaker. I recycle everything possible.

I still shop at SP for the majority of my online needs. And I only feed MSM as my horse is now retired.

I don't see that SP has really done anything wrong, but suggest maybe you do try to shop around and see if you can find some other arrangement that will make you happy.
    Dreaming in Color

4 members found this post helpful.

Just curious, is it the same cost if you make up two horses and feed them 1/2 doses? I know you can reduce doses on some of the products.

You could also use pill containers, the ones with large wells. Easy to use and one container (or two, if you do day and night) IF your supplements aren't too big.

Something like this:
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...iL._SS400_.jpg

Or this:
    http://www.gift-leader.com/pro/big/p.../pb1013006.jpg

Or this:
    https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...S--51y99E6Lkgw

Or you could reuse old prescription bottles:
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...dTdkxqmKqffUkA
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I got an email that mine were going up in January. It said this was due to an increase in their costs.
    I did too.
    Guessing the OP's increase is a combination of a price increase and the cost of dividing the supplements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    VV offers the same buckets for less money than SP, and matches free shipping.
    Yes, but as KrazyTBMare so nicely said, VV charges freight. Which adds up quickly.

Coming from a "feeder" - I HATE the SmartPak containers. It's quicker and easier to pop the top off one tupperware container containing all the supplements.

4 members found this post helpful.

I board with my mother, and she is somehow incapable of opening Smartpaks. I went back to the bulk containers and she is happily measuring every day.

**shrug**

When I fill in for chores, she premeasures and makes up containers for me

What-ev

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaK View Post
    Coming from a "feeder" - I HATE the SmartPak containers. It's quicker and easier to pop the top off one tupperware container containing all the supplements.
    My personal experience is the opposite. I always seem to have to take my gloves off to get the darn lids off things. Smartpaks I do not.

I have used the large pill containers. It works great if you use supplements that are not bulky, like Cosequin. Not so great if you have bulky supplements.

I don't really use supplements besides omeprazole and Cosequin occasionally. I think they are unnecessary if your horses are getting a balanced grain product.

Well, I feed Platinum Performance CJ now so we won't talk about price as it's much higher than when I fed SmartPak. But there is a lot more stuff since it's an all in one and I'm getting much better results from the PPCJ. But I did SmartPak's for many years. More for the barn staff than for cost. I don't mind eating a few extra dollars a month if it helps the barn staff get the supplements right.

My current barn is smaller and only 3 boarders. So using buckets is fine.

I can understand an entire increase in the cost of supplements. It's been awhile since they upped the prices and splitting does cost them more in production costs. So in general, I think it's fair.

I still shop with them for other stuff. I had an issue a few months ago regarding a few things that happened all at once (first time ever in years) and said something on here and they jumped right on it and contacted me personally to fix the problem. I give them props for that though it should have been remedied when I called multiple times instead. But it worked out in the end.

Regarding SmartPaks, you are paying for the convenience of not having to use baggies or containers. I guess you pick which is most important to you. Your time or your money.

For those making their own "smart paks"...check your local dollar stores. Many of them around here have a food storage section that has big sleeves of small tupperware-like containers. They come 10 to a sleeve and in different small sizes. The "salad dressing" size would be perfect and it's $1 for every 10. Sometimes they have both seal lids or screw lids. Very handy for tons of stuff.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I understand the price increase. They called me yesterday to discuss alternatives that could save me money.

How many wells per feeding is your mare getting? You could get them all in one strip and tell the barn people to feed two wells AM and two wells PM. Just only pull open the ones you need per feeding. That is what we do for one horse here. Instead of getting four wells all at once we split it in to two feedings ourselves.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    I know there was a thread back sometime ago about the containers not being recycled, but I remember seeing the #1 on the bottom at one time. Even if the containers are no longer recyclable, that's still a deal breaker. I recycle everything possible.
    Hi, everyone. I work for SmartPak (on the Creative team). I urge any of you with questions to contact Customer Care, they will take fabulous care of you.

The SmartPak wells are made from recycled plastics (like water bottles) and can be recycled again. SmartPak works to be as eco-friendly as possible, from the wells used in everyone's SmartPaks to how the corporate office is lit, heated, etc. You can read more about the company's social responsibility beliefs here: http://www.smartpakequine.com/about/...back.aspx#more

Please call Customer Care with any questions, whether it's about the actual product (the plastic SmartPak wells), the price increases, really, anything! Those who have spoken with Customer Care know how hard they work to make things right for you and work with you to ensure you are happy with everything you order from SmartPak. The number to call is 1-888-752-5171, and you can also email Customer Care at CustomerCare@SmartPak.com.

15 members found this post helpful.